First tool set

caballo

Aug 2, 2008
So Cal
Even though i have gone through 2 7mge's, i have never done any work on my car. I always relied on a mechanic. But now that i am taking an auto mechanics course i feel like i can actually do something about my 7mge. But, i need a tool set. Any body have any suggestions on a decent beginners tool set that would last me a few years or so? Im thinking of buying this: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00910025000P?prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=G6

My supra is having a hard time starting, it cranks but it stalls. So im going to be working on the ignition system, timing etc. Im strictly following the tsrm handbook.
I have never worked on any car but i feel that i should start somewhere. I have never been this inspired before in my life. :icon_bigg

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
If you aren't going to be working on domestics, try to find a set that isn't half useless... err... I mean, not metric.

Those wobble extensions are awesome. I'd also buy a set of flex head ratcheting wrenches. And you'll eventually need some allen head sockets, if you ever pull the head. Last but certainly not least, you'll need two decent sizes of torque wrench.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You can go far cheaper than that and still get good tools. Hell, I have a smaller version of this one I used for most everything: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-85-Piece-Mechanic-Set/12543087

Personally, I prefure 6 point sockets as they don't strip nuts as easily. Only thing is they're sometimes a pain to line up (especially true when using a breaker bar). I've expanded my tool set over the years with far more items, but it's still not that big, and most of it is stanley stuff.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
That looks like a good start. If you can find one with more Metric than English, that would be preferable. My set is craftsman and I've had good luck so far. They have a great warranty and the stuff is decent quality for a home mechanic.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I started with a basic 3/8" drive set when I was 15, probably only has 75pc in the whole set. Now I've got a Craftsman rolling box that's pretty much packed. I need another box, as I can't fit anything else in mine.

It's always a good idea to fully evaluate the job you're about to do, that way you can figure out what special tools you'll need beforehand that you don't already own. Then just go buy any that you need before you start so you don't get caught half way through the job and not be able to finish.

There are also a lot of little tricks you'll learn as time goes on, such as interlocking two wrenches for more leverage in tight spots where you can't fit a breaker bar/ratchet. Or that sometimes, crow's feat are the only way to get to a hidden nut/bolt. And sometimes, you'll make your own tools. :)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1681243 said:
Personally, I prefure 6 point sockets as they don't strip nuts as easily.

I second this. Almost couldn't get my fill plug off the diff of a Miata one time after I had nearly stripped the bolt, AFTER I had already drained it. There's another free lesson for ya. ;)

Honestly, I think I could tear a Supra down into it's core components with an 8, 10, 12, 13 (alternator), 14, 15, 17, 19, 21, and MAYBE 24mm set of ratchet wrenches and sockets. Since ratchet wrenches are pricey, I'd at least start out with 10, 12, and 14mm, as they're by far the most common used tools for 99% of us. Socket-wise, you'll find some things work better than others in various situations. If I can fit them, I tend to prefer deep well 6-point sockets, but you can't always fit them, so...

mnracer550

Sep 15, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
you could also check craigslist as well. theres a ton of almost new tool sets that auto students bought then sell when they drop out of school. usually pretty cheap too.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00944350000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

Best tools I have. I grew up using a set of these. After I moved out and started buying my own tools, this was the first and best thing I got.

I have two toolbags that stay in my truck that I can use for 95% of jobs. The first bag has vice grips, diagonal cutters (dikes), wire cutter/crimper, standard and needle-nose pliers, crescent wrench, Allen set and Torx set (the little all-in-one deals that fold up), and a couple other knick knacks. (EDIT: oh, and a 6 in 1 screwdriver like this
The second bag has a Metric deep-socket set, a kobalt Roto-Ratchet, and the aforementioned off-set box-end set.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
te72;1681418 said:
I second this. Almost couldn't get my fill plug off the diff of a Miata one time after I had nearly stripped the bolt, AFTER I had already drained it. There's another free lesson for ya. ;)
This is why I always remove the fill plug first, THEN pull the drain plug. If I can't get the fill plug out, it can wait. :)

benstoked

Dec 18, 2010
OKC, OK
I know I may get flamed for it, but here it goes:

Personally, I prefer getting my sockets and box wrenches from harbor freight. I have only broken one socket, and that was from serious abuse (using it as a drift). you can get other assorted tools there, too; box, screw drivers, extensions, so on and so forth.
Their ratchets suck, so avoid them, unless you need a hammer in a tight spot. a high tooth craftsman/matco/snapon ratchet wrench is a valuable tool, and a regular tooth ratchet from those three will last about forever.
If you feel Harbor freight is too expensive, and find sears is a pita to get a tool replaced when it brakes (either because they are nowhere close, or the tween behind the counter is an idiot), Lowes has Kobalt. lifetime, no questions asked warranty. They're in nearly any town making them way more convenient than sears in the event of tool breakage/replacement.

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
I love tools! lol ive been a diesel tech for five years and have about 15k invested in tools so far. Before I started working I always thought craftsman were the best (and I had plenty of harber freight too), and they make great home tools, but at work I always had a pile of broken tools at the end of the month - ratchets, sockets etc and i got tired of going to sears all the time. I have found that high end tools last quite a bit longer (cornwell, mac, snap on), it all depends on what you wanna pay and what your using them for, i have craftsman mostly at home, and imo they make the best starter set and ive had pretty good luck with returns in sears, good luck.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
GrimJack;1681487 said:
This is why I always remove the fill plug first, THEN pull the drain plug. If I can't get the fill plug out, it can wait. :)

Yeah, I learned that one. Fortunately I managed to get a 6 point to finish the job, but I was definitely a bit nervous there for a while. :p

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
te72;1681418 said:

this is why i have stripped bolt removers :D