Finished 5spd swap! WOW!

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Just finished swapping out my auto for a w58 on my 88 turbo and...WOW what a difference. My torque converter must have been stealing a lot of power before it died on me. Feels like a different car. I topped off the swap with new shifter bushings and it shifts nice and smooth. The only thing I have to get used to is the clutch. Its softer than i'm used to and I may need to adjust the push rod to my liking.

But damn...for a bone stock Supra it hauls.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
SrBigbutt;1490866 said:
Just finished swapping out my auto for a w58 on my 88 turbo and...WOW what a difference. My torque converter must have been stealing a lot of power before it died on me. Feels like a different car. I topped off the swap with new shifter bushings and it shifts nice and smooth. The only thing I have to get used to is the clutch. Its softer than i'm used to and I may need to adjust the push rod to my liking.

But damn...for a bone stock Supra it hauls.

You don't adjust the push rod to "your liking" you adjust it per tsrm and you adjust to it...there is a tsrm spec for a reason..

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
I can imagine it would definately feel a lot nicer with some performance mods. I've just been trying to get it suitable for daily driver status and fighting the Hot Rod fever!!

As much as I want a new intake, ddp, and exhaust...i'll probably upgrade suspension first.

I can adjust the play to my liking within spec...right?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
SrBigbutt;1490904 said:
I can imagine it would definately feel a lot nicer with some performance mods. I've just been trying to get it suitable for daily driver status and fighting the Hot Rod fever!!

As much as I want a new intake, ddp, and exhaust...i'll probably upgrade suspension first.

I can adjust the play to my liking within spec...right?

Adjusting the rod won't change the force of the pedal only the distance it travels....spec is spec and if you want a heavier clutch pedal then you'll need a heavier clutch....ofcourse that comes with it's own set of problems such as crank walk, harsh enguagement etc....see the soft pedal is a byproduct of a hydrolic clutch system....it's designed to be soft so it doesn't cause fatigue...

There is nothing you can do "for your liking" other than hooking springs to the pedal to resist being pushed but that's just downright dumb.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
I wasn't going to change the force. I know that can't be changed. I just need to get used to that.

What I would like to adjust is the pedal play and/or clutch engagement to get the sweet spot right where I like it. Sorry if I didn't make sense before.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
SrBigbutt;1490927 said:
I wasn't going to change the force. I know that can't be changed. I just need to get used to that.

What I would like to adjust is the pedal play and/or clutch engagement to get the sweet spot right where I like it. Sorry if I didn't make sense before.

You keep that pedal adjusted per tsrm threw out the life of the clutch...the sweet spot is where Toyota puts it...you can do what you wish but all you're gonna end up doing is reducing pedal travel which will reduce pressure plate travel or you'll put tension on the pp causing the clutch to slip..

So....again....the proper, smart thing to do is leave it where Toyota says and get used to it....ever few months re-adjust it back to tsrm spec for optimal clutch performance and life span.

It is what it is and there isn't much you can do about it:-(

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Ok...then I just need to verify its within spec. It probably is, but a little on the high side. I would like it closer to the middle.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Different clutches require different amounts of travel to fully disengage, I always adjusted mine so full release was 5mm from the carpet then reset the brake pedal height to match.

The "idea/reasoning" behind this is you don't need the full pedal stroke and unless you have a pedal stop doing it my way means you just mash it to the floor and pull the next gear and you get the shortest possible shift times.

Adjusting the brake pedal down to it allows for left foot braking if needed.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
Yep, I keep mine close to the floor also. Seems to work the best for me.

Got a new daily beater S10 5 speed. The clutch in it is retarded soft and high up. When I drive the supra I look like a newb trying to take off until I get myself back used to it...LOL

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
IJ.;1490941 said:
Different clutches require different amounts of travel to fully disengage, I always adjusted mine so full release was 5mm from the carpet then reset the brake pedal height to match.

The "idea/reasoning" behind this is you don't need the full pedal stroke and unless you have a pedal stop doing it my way means you just mash it to the floor and pull the next gear and you get the shortest possible shift times.

Adjusting the brake pedal down to it allows for left foot braking if needed.

The stock clutch pedal has a spring that pulls the pedal all the way back up....how did you shorten the throw without custom stuffs? Even if you remove the master clutch cylinder completely the pedal still stays all the way up so in stock form travel would only be adjusted with a stop behind the pedal...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
CL_003.gif

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Fuckin a I completely over looked that....for some reason I thought there were two switches for the clutch pedal...damn that's awesome as my clutch pedal seems to sit lower than my brake....tits!