Finally lost my engine undercover...

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Must be the season. The front portion of mine folded under on the freeway and was making a terrible wooshing sound. I swear to god it sounded like a jet taking off. I thought something had really blown to shit under the hood, scared the shit out of me. I was relieved to see it was only the undercover. Weird thing is, it was fine a few days ago when I was under the car and all the sudden it decided to let go in the front and fold under.

I'll fix it if it's fixable. or replace it if not. Won't drive around without it....so mickey f'n mouse without it. Right now I've got the block out of it and the head off. Installing an HKS stopper. But I swear to god...it never ends!

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
suprarx7nut;1072046 said:
Boggles my mind. Maybe I should make a "How to utilize the EPC from cygnus" thread.

Please don't, the fewer people that know about it, the fewer people will buy up our parts that will eventually run out :biglaugh:

zurud

Apr 10, 2005
Evansville, IN
maybe we should ask champion or elmhurst to make groupbuys on engine undercover and radiator shroud since most people are missing theirs'.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
zurud;1072196 said:
maybe we should ask champion or elmhurst to make groupbuys on engine undercover and radiator shroud since most people are missing theirs'.

I would be down with a GB on the undercover +++ (unless some one is going to make a composite one;) )

Maybe even the shroud then re-sell it when I swap out fans

pparrigo

India Delta OneZero Tango
Feb 12, 2008
WNY
Like I said, I used the EPC, I just didn't find it. It seems as though I missed it, I didn't, after all, look THAT hard yet.

I can find an appropriately sized aluminum sheet for around the same price as the replacement cover, steel slightly cheaper (but I don't want to use steel)...

I'll probably get the replacement, then build one out of whatever to copy it, see what happens.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
tissimo;1072019 said:
They would of bought it from the dealer then. But they didn't

Its not needed, so they wont buy it. These kids want go fast parts and bling bling parts.

Yes, but this thread doesn't concern these people. If they don't want/"need" an undercover then they don't need to be a part of this thread, and most likely won't be, since it's something they're not interested in.

As for buying it already, I'm just suggesting that this thread should head towards a design via brainstorm right now, that's all. It will probably be expensive to ship something this big made of metal so at least a design could be talked about so people or groups can make them locally

i.e. I suggest that the design makes the cover full-sized and includes an access panel to the oil pan.

pparrigo

Feb 12, 2008
WNY
after I get home from work and volleyball practice today, i think i'm going to pull the supra into the garage and get a layout of the connection points and locations of things that it would be nice to access. Then I'll make a rough mockup of the important under-engine bits and connection points in SolidWorks and starting modeling a cover up in my downtime. I have a few ideas on features I'd like to incorporate myself.

of course, as a mechanical engineering major, i think this kind of stuff is neat.

a friend and classmate of mine went and designed a plow and plow mounting system for his subaru during some of the boring classes, built it, and it came out nice. I think it killed his car after a year though, like I told him it would.

pparrigo

Feb 12, 2008
WNY
yeah, I forgot what size the blade was though. He lived in Maine, so I can see the reason for it, but still...

He called it his "one-ton Subaru"

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Guyana00;1072407 said:
i.e. I suggest that the design makes the cover full-sized and includes an access panel to the oil pan.

Can not do that.

You are now messing with air flow going out of the engine bay that was factored in this car.

Stick with what the OEM designed or don't bother. Altering because it MIGHT make it better does not mean it will.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
zurud;1072196 said:

or, just ORDER ONE FROM THEM.

god damn, some of you just don't understand how good of a deal we are already getting through champion/elmhurst.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
adampecush;1072481 said:
or, just ORDER ONE FROM THEM.

god damn, some of you just don't understand how good of a deal we are already getting through champion/elmhurst.

x1000000!!!!

I work for Toyota and my EMPLOYEE DISCOUNT is about what Champion is, even with shipping. Next time you guys need a part, compare Champion with your local dealer prices. I bet you will be shocked to find a good 20% difference on most items.

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
my 88 had it lasted like a month before it got caught and ripped to shredds. my 90 turbo never had one neither. If your so worried about cooling issues upgrade ur rad then......

I think it makes it a pain in the ass when trying to work under the car on the motor...wich most supra owners do on a regular bases

pparrigo

Feb 12, 2008
WNY
I don't think anyone has bashed buying an OEM part. Yes, some people have said something about a group buy, it's not really what this thread is about.

So we're wrong because we want to make something?

I at no point said the original design was flawed. I also said that I am probably going to order an OEM part to use as a template and use on my car through Champion. As a matter of fact, I'll probably be ordering it tonight. Yes, Champion is a great deal, I know, I've ordered parts from them and I am happy, WE GET THE POINT. Or I do anyway.

No one is pointing a gun at anyone's head and saying you have to use a cover someone here designs. Yeah, I realize that the airflow won't be the same if we make some changes. That's the designer's prerogative. I'd rather have a little bit more durability and have something there than have another stock one tear off and drag and NOT be there.

You never know. Somebody might hit on something that is convenient for various reason, durable, and cost-effective. Maybe not. However, having worked in engineering both in school and at work, I can appreciate the following idea:

Yes, toyota had millions of dollars in funding for R&D when they made the car (and hence the cover). Yes, the engineers are intelligent people. But it all boils down to the fact that no engineer, regardless of education, training, and experience, is infallible. Design decisions are made only partly on the performance of the design, and I find it hard to believe that anyone here believes OEM designs are always the best. If that was the case, NONE of you would have any mods whatsoever, unless you were retarded. My Bronco, for example. I love it to death. It rarely breaks. But when it does, dear god in Heaven, it turns into a bitch. Poor OEM design decisions from a practicality standpoint in that truck.

And figgie, I'll put it this way- Almost anything is possible from a design standpoint, you just have to work at it. Quit being so negative. If a design isn't so good, you work to improve it. When it comes to almost any part in the world, it is not black and white, or "OEM designed or don't bother."

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
pparrigo;1072510 said:
And figgie, I'll put it this way- Almost anything is possible from a design standpoint, you just have to work at it. Quit being so negative. If a design isn't so good, you work to improve it. When it comes to almost any part in the world, it is not black and white, or "OEM designed or don't bother."

Sorry

I don't think so. It is not negativity. It is cold hard facts. Designing takes MONEY either by the action of physically designing the part in question or getting it manufactured. Money is something that has always been lacking with the majority of these car's owner for some reason. Now moreso than ever.

With that said, I myself have infact helped in creating better parts for the 7m based supra. The ATI dampned pulley. You are looking at the guy that forked over LOTS of money (in the order of $900 dollars) to get ATI to take measurements from the stock pulley, adjust some items and then mass produce it for the rest of this community. All it took was MONEY, not talent, wants, wishes, and every other would, could, should, group buy mentality that prevails here.

Every other time, as is almost always the case, all talk, but no walk. I have no want to be on someone elses schedule. I want/need something. I will PAY to have it done regardless of cost. I have done the same for clutches and other parts that did not have an aftermarket for our cars and will continue to do so as MY need arises.

When it comes to items that deal with aerodynamics. That is where I will not tread as my pockets are nowhere near as deep to get that done properly (wind tunnel testing, finite analysis, pressure deltas etc). Notice the key word, PROPERLY.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
figgie;1072474 said:
Can not do that.

You are now messing with air flow going out of the engine bay that was factored in this car.

Stick with what the OEM designed or don't bother. Altering because it MIGHT make it better does not mean it will.

I get what you're saying, but by access panel, I don't mean a hole. I mean a removeable panel which would not obstruct originally intended flow patterns. Like the targa top, yet much easier to remove :icon_razz