Finally lost my engine undercover...

pparrigo

India Delta OneZero Tango
Feb 12, 2008
WNY
Well, apparently it let go and cracked around one of the bolts, and now I have this plastic parasite dragging on the ground on my way to work making me look like an idiot...

I stopped 4 times on the way to work to tie it up in different places, and then I ran out of shoelaces (I was pressed for time, and the gas station didn't have zip ties) to tie it with. It seemed to be possessed by an obsession to make me angry, dirty, and late to work. It accomplished all three, although I wasn't technically late, just late by my standards.

I would've tried to save it, as I was proud of still having the undercover, but I believe after 40 miles of highway that it is beyond saving.

Now, it raises a new question-

Do I get rid of it completely and forget about having one? [cheapest option, barring engine cooling issues]

Do I search forever and try to find another one (I understand they are quite difficult to track down)? [next cheapest, but most time consuming option]

Or, do I fabricate a plate or thinnish aluminum or steel, primer and paint it to look badass, attempt to match the bolt pattern, and go with that? [most expensive, but most fun option]

Decisions, decisions...

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
You will have engine cooling issues in the future.

But I would get rid of it and start saving for one.

Can not believe that a composite of one has not been made.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I've been exploring the idea of making one out of fiberglass mesh/resin. I have a stock one in really good shape that's only a few years old, but I wanted to extend it a bit. This has only been a thought thus far.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I'm gonna find me a steel plate, cut it out, spray it with rhino liner and slap it on.
and I'm just as amazed as figgie on this one, that no one has made one yet. I guess, non-functioning body kits are better.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
That sucks, the undercover is something I'd be glad to have. I was hoping someone would have made a replica by now, but I'm not entirely bothered by it because I too plan to make one :)

RhinoLiner ftw ;)

7M-GTEric

Sep 27, 2007
Knoxville, TN
If you ask me, I think someone should make and sell both the undercover AND the fan shroud together in one affordable package :naughty: They could call it something cool like "Ignorant P.O. Repair Kit"

pparrigo

India Delta OneZero Tango
Feb 12, 2008
WNY
I was doing a little bit of checking, and I can't even find a valid part number (Used the cygnus thing, found the part, but i don't think the number is current anymore or something) so I used the dealer parts order form at champion, and they don't even list it. I think I knew that I wasn't going to be able to find it when I started looking.

I like where this is headed. If everyone that wants to make one makes one, we can compare how difficult it was to make, then talk about form, fit, and function. Maybe come up with some sort of super-hybrid replacement engine undercover. Personally, I like shaeff's fiberglass idea myself and would go that route, however my cover is half a cover, and I am not skilled in the ways of fiberglass...

If all went well with my aluminum idea, and I can't see it going poorly, I would consider making one-offs, time permitting. Got an english wheel that hasn't seen any action yet...

edit: I did rhinoline (herculine, actually) the fuel tank on my Bronco when I replaced it and was fairly happy with the results. it certainly has some merit... increased air turbulence is something to consider though, although it may be negligible... hmmm.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
pparrigo;1071708 said:
I was doing a little bit of checking, and I can't even find a valid part number (Used the cygnus thing, found the part, but i don't think the number is current anymore or something) so I used the dealer parts order form at champion, and they don't even list it...

Champion lists it. It's under Cooling, then Splash Shields, then the primary Splash Shield. Through them it's $128.84.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
I just put one I got off a friend on last week... VERY noticable difference in underhood temps, according to the lying stock temp gauge.

My previous one was partially present... the front three bolts had chunks of undercover, as well as the wing bolts in the fenderwells, and one of the rear bolts still held on a small scrap of undercover. It appeared to be forcibly removed by something, by the look of it... ripped right off the car.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
$128 isn't a bad price, but I think the community should develop and make one. It would be cheaper and probably better quality/more durable.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Guyana00;1071872 said:
$128 isn't a bad price, but I think the community should develop and make one. It would be cheaper and probably better quality/more durable.

Its not business smart to sell something that most poeple wont buy. The cheap mk3 owners will just run without one, rather then pay 150 for a new one

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
tissimo;1071873 said:
Its not business smart to sell something that most poeple wont buy. The cheap mk3 owners will just run without one, rather then pay 150 for a new one

No, it isn't business smart to sell something people won't buy, but from the looks of this thread it seems that people DO want to buy one...

150 isn't expensive either. People buy lips for more than that, and this undercover is functional. There ARE people who prefer to spend it on aesthetics, or even gas instead of this, but they won't be a part of this thread.

So I still say this thread should be a starting point for making an undercover for those who are interested, ready to do this and willing to do some work.

I won't lie, I'm willing to work, I'm definitely interested....but I'm not ready to do this yet. I will be next year but I can't change when a thread starts and what it leads to. I missed GB's and other opportunites but anyone else who is ready should do it. At least I can follow along and see how it turns out for when I'm ready ;)

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Guyana00;1071914 said:
No, it isn't business smart to sell something people won't buy, but from the looks of this thread it seems that people DO want to buy one...

150 isn't expensive either. People buy lips for more than that, and this undercover is functional. There ARE people who prefer to spend it on aesthetics, or even gas instead of this, but they won't be a part of this thread.

So I still say this thread should be a starting point for making an undercover for those who are interested, ready to do this and willing to do some work.

I won't lie, I'm willing to work, I'm definitely interested....but I'm not ready to do this yet. I will be next year but I can't change when a thread starts and what it leads to. I missed GB's and other opportunites but anyone else who is ready should do it. At least I can follow along and see how it turns out for when I'm ready ;)

They would of bought it from the dealer then. But they didn't

Its not needed, so they wont buy it. These kids want go fast parts and bling bling parts.

Woody1989

Apr 17, 2008
Texas
You should be able to order one through the dealer. Mine is relatively new, but somewhere between 1989 and today I lost both front corner under panels. Called the dealer and they have them on the way for about $45 each. Hope to see them arrive this week.

Brad

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
New dealer ones are available.

Use the damn EPC

Click on part
CTR+C the part number on the top of the page
Go to Champion's webpage
Click on the parts search tab
CTR+V and select Toyota

They still have almost every part for our cars. Some of you guys kill me when you say they dont have stuff anymore. The EPC from cyguns is a Godsend yet it seems few here actually know how to use it.

Boggles my mind. Maybe I should make a "How to utilize the EPC from cygnus" thread.

....Naw, no one would read it. :D

Jenya

SupraBoii
Feb 8, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Hmm, I have been running without on for the longest time.. ever since I dropped my new motor in. (10 months ago) I was thinking of investing into one just in case, as a safety precaution.. but i couldn't find one locally, and the local toyota dealers are just asses.

My temperatures have been staying a bit under half, so I have time to shop around I guess.