Finally a turbo in my life! My JDM GT Limited

kaveen94

Mar 1, 2014
melbourne
So here it goes, this is the story of my black JDM GT Limited but before that, lets get some background info first!
It all started when I was a lot younger, my best mates brother had an awesome power house of a supra and from time to time he got my mates and I to do minor work on it and overtime it grew on us and we loved supras! eventually throughout the past two years my best mate bought a couple, my other mate bought one(soon to be two) and a I also bought two and all in all, we have 7 supras between the four of us haha all the supras we'll ever need.
I bought my first one about a year and a half ago.

Its just a simple 7mge, auto thatll get me from A to B in style haha. Ever since I owned it, it's been a massive learning experience, working on different supras and learning many things but i've realized that overall, they require some attention from time to time but its definitely worth it!
Dont mind the plates or the fact that its right hand drive, its Australian after all haha

after owning this for a while some of the others bought some more supras and after finding that there wasn't much else I could do to this car I figured it was time to start hunting for another, especially as theyre rare around here! With a couple of weeks of looking and no luck I remembered that we looked at one for my mate 6 months earlier and I thought, why the hell not and messaged that guy and was it my lucky day! The owner was about to put it back up for sale for within my price range and I thought I had to have it and agreed to inspect it again the next day! Here is what awaited me

I was in love with the possibilities! A Japanese import with 144xxxkm on the clock, GT Limited which have digi dashes and a 7mgte, apart from a slight knock it was great but with that, I had one issue I had to resolve...there was no transmission in the car and it hadnt been started in nearly 6 years.. So after a bit of pondering with my mate we realized that it was too good to let go and asked if we could fix it on the spot and drive it home, nothing wrong with that ahah
We had a one week deadline to bring her back to life and as she was a factory manual and we only had half of an automatic conversion with the sale, we had a lot to do..

After three longm stressful days of trying to put an Automatic in whilst the engine was on, we finally had it together along with the driveshaft, shifter and everything else apart from the auto electronics.. Then the exhaust, coolant and engine oil all went in and after a bit of playing around, she started perfectly!! It was so quiet we couldnt even tell it was started and the best part, everything worked! and with that we were on our way back home with smiles all around! and to this day here is how she sits

and for you digi-dash fans!

And here is a photo of all the supras between my mates and I :)

That is all for now :)

Attachments

• 1911161_10200653320333675_714153960_o_zpsgviikp9r.jpg
    1911161_10200653320333675_714153960_o_zpsgviikp9r.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMAG1330_zpsyp083mze.jpg
    IMAG1330_zpsyp083mze.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMAG1343_zpso76psd8u.jpg
    IMAG1343_zpso76psd8u.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMAG1456_zps9xddoai9.jpg
    IMAG1456_zps9xddoai9.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMAG1453_zpsnzo9mt1m.jpg
    IMAG1453_zpsnzo9mt1m.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0266_zpsp42sihzb.jpg
    DSC_0266_zpsp42sihzb.jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMAG1352_zpsegn8nvp3.jpg
    IMAG1352_zpsegn8nvp3.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMAG13451_zpslp1tuhqt.jpg
    IMAG13451_zpslp1tuhqt.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_023711111_zpsudu6yw0x.jpg
    DSC_023711111_zpsudu6yw0x.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 17

kaveen94

Mar 1, 2014
melbourne
akito;2042370 said:
Nice find! And impressive that you fixed it at the dude's place haha. Going back to manual later?

Haha thanks man!
Yea I've recently accquired most of a w58 conversion and a flywheel from Phoenix which should arrive in a month!
Going to start pulling everything apart soon, shall post pics :)

kaveen94

Mar 1, 2014
melbourne
First thing I did since buy thing the car, fix the leaky tail light seals! Found a thread from a while back with a diy seal which seems to have done the job :p

and whilst i was at that i threw some rust guard into the boot

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Nice Supras, Kaveen. I'm looking forward to see what you do with them.

akito;2042747 said:
Those are original JDM tails aren't they??

They look like they are. If I had an 89+ I'd definitely have those taillights. They're a beautiful shade of cherry red. I love them. I wish the center section would match the trim on my 87...

kaveen94

Mar 1, 2014
melbourne
Silver MK3;2042768 said:
Nice Supras, Kaveen. I'm looking forward to see what you do with them.

They look like they are. If I had an 89+ I'd definitely have those taillights. They're a beautiful shade of cherry red. I love them. I wish the center section would match the trim on my 87...

Thanks, there's always something being done to one of the supras, thinking about making a thread dedicated to posting about what we do each week :)

kaveen94

Mar 1, 2014
melbourne
not much has been done to my car for a bit now since im just saving up for a whole re-ring and clutch kit..
so far ive acquired most of a w58 conversion for a good price and

and i starting pulling everything apart slowly to get ready for the conversion

but whilst doing so i found these interesting looking temp gauge which I hope to get working again..

But in the mean time heres what we have been upto...so just before I had bought my car, my mate bought his first supra, the white one in the photo!
Car had been sitting around for about a year since the tranny was fried so what we did, bought it for cheap, bought a replacement tranny for even cheaper but that was just the start

so after getting it running again we decided to do a major service but inbetween that we realized that the head gasket was leaking..ofcourse!
so with what began as a service ended up with the whole motor out to get everything re-sealed and done properly!

lucky we changed this..

thought we'd paint the block..

and just like that, in no time the engine was done and slapped back together and in the car looking brand new!

kaveen94

Mar 1, 2014
melbourne
So i've come across this odd issue, from time to time the digital dash wont light up.. like the other day i let the car warm up whilst i was doing some stuff to it but the digi dash didnt turn on until a fair while..

Minor update

Flywheel came in, straight from merica! haha

And I got those temp gauges to work..not exactly sure what theyre measuring though

kaveen94

Mar 1, 2014
melbourne
So ive been a bit busy and havent really updated so i think its time for a major update!

over the past month ive got a fair bit done, starting with picking up a shiny exhaust for a very good price and a little side project w58

and then some of my parts came in from rockauto!! :D

Attachments

• IMAG1850_zpsaravydps.jpg
    IMAG1850_zpsaravydps.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 4

kaveen94

Mar 1, 2014
melbourne
With my parts arriving I finally managed to get started on pulling her apart! as they say, its easy to take things apart...putting it back together is a different story haha

kaveen94

Mar 1, 2014
melbourne
made some progress, havent had much time to update but here it is

managed to give the head and engine bay a well deserved clean

also got myself a nice downpipe for once shes running and registered

and also got around to removing crank and pistons, going to give them a good clean!
upon dis-assembly we noticed that bearings 3 to 6 were in bad shape, not cracked but worn pretty bad which would explain the knocking

but most surprising of all, the block

kaveen94

Mar 1, 2014
melbourne
got a few more updates, managed to find some time to get it all up :)

managed to get the block cleaned a fair bit

along with the pistons and crank, done at the carwash haha

and painted the manifold to a much better colour

kaveen94

Mar 1, 2014
melbourne
got a few more things done over the weekend, even though it was chilly outside..

but heres my shiny, painted sump

the block before

and after

and the bottom ends all back in now :)