Status
Not open for further replies.

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
CRE said:
There's nothing wrong with wanting to differentiate yourself from the crowd. Sure our cars ave some sweet curves, but the curves outline a rather angular base form. I can't imagine circular tails ever looking "right" on a MKIII... The older semi-rounded square tails from an 80's vette would be a major leap in the right direction... not my thing, but definitely a closer fit.

As for Lam, I've got to give the guy credit. He didn't want to be lost in a crowd (yeah, like there are THAT many of us) or MKIII owners and he did something about it (that made the Home Depot share holders VERY happy). The two biggest downfalls Lam had were the thinking that a body kit is easily mad and execution (his high school shop teacher shot himself, did you guys ever hear about that? :evil2: ).

At any rate, as has been stated, there are very few bolt on parts for our cars as far as the rear and the taillights are concerned. If you want something different you're going to need to build it yourself or pay someone else to build it. I usually look forward to seeing custom body work done on our cars... I may not like it, but it keeps me thinking about other possibilities and variations.

Dare to be different, and a get the cold shoulder from your peers. We have no tolerance for others personal creativity. I say do it your way because you ultimately have to satisfy you. If you did it every way that someone suggest doing it; imagine how all of those suggestions would look to everyone whos opinion was not used! DARE TO BE YOURSELF! Some of you say we are more tolerable over here on S/M, but it seems to be on an individual group concensus of the many, or the popular.:icon_conf :nono:

JB91389

decisions...decisions...
Jun 22, 2006
Ottawa
I Can see everyones point on "hes being different" but c'mon. ....If you want to be different do it right. Use the CORRECT parts for you car - There are clear corners availiable for our cars. At leat do some "good" fabrication. And WTF is up with the heater vents??? Thats the most retarted thing i've ever seen.

The only thing I like is the LOOK of his tailights...not how he did it....

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
While I agree with the "Do it right" comments they don't really matter in this conversation.

If it makes you happy, and (this is the important part) doesn't negatively impact the safety of the car/drivers/others, then go for it.

Example1 (taken from Lam's Supra): If you want to glue fins on the side of your car made out of "X" material then go for it. Just make sure that material cannot come off accidentally causing problems for other drivers.

Example 2: If you want different taillights then go for it. Just make sure they match (or exceed) the performance of the stock taillights. I would hate to have someone rolling along on some foggy morning and ram in to the rear of your car because those "Really cool looking" taillights can't be seen more than 5 feet behind your car.

I don't even care if you want to put a huge spoiler on the back of your car made out of 2x4s - don't laugh I've actually seen this done here in Portland. Just make sure that those are secured enough so they don't become flying projectiles when you roll down the freeway.

If it makes you happy - and doesn't risk my life if I am driving near you - then go for it.

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
i haven't posted on here for a while, but i'm absolutely shocked regarding this thread.

i thought SM claimed to be a nice forum, and it definitely seemed to be when i was posting here last year... obviously, that's changed.

i find it disturbing that you guys seem to be really enjoying this, almost the more so because he's not here to defend himself. what the heck is the point? sure, he had an unusual car, but he's not here anymore, so why not just let it go?

i never had a problem with him, he was an interesting guy. to each his own. i'm not privvy to what may have transpired while i was gone, but regardless, there's still no call for this thread.

kinda disappointed in SM right now.

mods, i really feel this thread should be closed it's not adding anything constructive to the community.

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho
^^^ Perhaps we should delete half the threads on SM because they don't add anything constructive(like my post here). We're just giving opinions, no one is saying Lam is not a good guy, we just like to make a little fun of his ride(And some people praised some of his features).

He created so much supra hate on SF that they banned him because of the whole fake engine thread.

It's your car, do what you want, but if you post it on supra web sites looking for support, get ready for flames, rightfully earned or not.

I enjoyed seeing the latest non-functional scoop or vinyl taped to his interior, it really gave both sites some color(Entertainment Value!!).
If I was at a supra meet in CT I would love to see his car....it's like a Hollywood Star, I want my picture with it :)

Lam please come back.

cwd

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
spinningheadboy said:
^^^ Perhaps we should delete half the threads on SM because they don't add anything constructive(like my post here). We're just giving opinions, no one is saying Lam is not a good guy, we just like to make a little fun of his ride(And some people praised some of his features).

He created so much supra hate on SF that they banned him because of the whole fake engine thread.

It's your car, do what you want, but if you post it on supra web sites looking for support, get ready for flames, rightfully earned or not.

I enjoyed seeing the latest non-functional scoop or vinyl taped to his interior, it really gave both sites some color(Entertainment Value!!).
If I was at a supra meet in CT I would love to see his car....it's like a Hollywood Star, I want my picture with it :)

Lam please come back.

cwd

you make a some good points... like i said, i don't know what happened with him, and yes, he probably deserved to be banned, again, i don't know, so i can't comment on that, i just think this is a little excessive.

and if you read the thread, many people called him not nice things in a personal manner. that's more what i had a problem with than the opinions of his car. in that case, yeah if you post your car, you're opening yourself up to criticism, but personally, i just tend to not say anything if i severely dislike something someone does.

i don't know, it just didn't sit right with me, ya know?

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
Everything Mike said about Lam's car is true, so sad, but true! The irony of it is this thread is about Ferrari tails, and the tails on his car are the ONLY thing that I can find acceptable on the entire car. The thing that I don't get is why everyone wants round lights on the MKIII, to me the 89-> tails on a MKIII are about as perfect as you can get on this car, not to mention they don't look like any other car.

438665_151_full.jpg

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
I think this thread pretty much served its purpose... There are enough threads on here and other sites bashing this guys car...

Thanks,
Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.