Fan/Fan clutch/Throttle cable

geeohdee

Feb 28, 2010
las vegas
The fan on my 88 turbo supra is ridiculously loud. I can barely drive through the parking garage at work without going deaf.

I've been scouring the TSRM and the boards here, and at mkiiitech, for a few hours now and can't find anything I'm looking for.

I know when the engine is warm you're supposed to be able to spin the fan about 1/4 rotation. Mine wont move at all. I assume it means I need to replace the fan clutch. I remember reading something about a fan clutch rebuild, but I can't find it now. Does anyone have a link to a how to? Assuming I can rebuild it.

Also my throttle cable seems to be about 1-2 inches too long. There is slack on both sides. I can't find anything on that in the TSRM either. Can it be tightened on both sides? What is the proper way to do it.

I don't know nearly enough, or make nearly enough, to start just trying stuff out and risking making things worse or messing up something else. I'm sure both are in the TSRM I just can't find them. Maybe I'm just looking for the wrong things. Any links or any info would be awesome.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Advance Auto fan clutches suck. They are tiny compared to OEM.

p1548903_1.jpg

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
My 92's is brand new, and is super loud, but after a few minutes of driving, it goes away..

is this normal..?

it is nice and stiff when you spin it, but everyone I've talked to says it's normal..

bombinuass

Mar 20, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
bombinuass;1548809 said:
JUST BUY A NEW FAN CLUTCH. 40 BUCKS AT ADVANCE. LOL i just bought one.

that is very true. i wont argue with that:) but it works and its a fix untill you can get a OEM fan clutch or fix yours.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
RazoE;1548909 said:
My 92's is brand new, and is super loud, but after a few minutes of driving, it goes away..

is this normal..?

it is nice and stiff when you spin it, but everyone I've talked to says it's normal..

When cold it should spin freely but have a little bit of resistance. When you start the car cold the fan should engage a little bit for about 10 seconds and then it will slow down and just slip. When hot it should still spin but have a bit more resistance than when cold. Is it a oem fan clutch? Or Autozone? My old autozone clutch was noisy almost all the time unless I was on the freeway.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
interesting, my fans have always been on, no matter what, on all my cars...

it's very stiff to spin when it's cold, but like I said it goes away after a few minutes, especially when it's warm out, if it's cold out, it'll take a bit...

not sure if it's OEM, a shop did it, but I'll get it checked out, thanks!

geeohdee

Feb 28, 2010
las vegas

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
geeohdee;1549096 said:
Thanks for the link. My car came from toyota turbo. I don't know if someone replaced the cable with a NA one or if its just messed up.

Check your gas pedal- is it bent from age? You may be able to tighten that freeplay up by rebending the upper half of the linkage(where the cable joins it) away from the firewall.
My pedal bracket's upper mounting bolt actually broke loose from the firewall(with part of the firewall's metal!) and so I had a horribly bendy, twisty pedal for a couple of years.
I finally had a friend with a mig welder fix it.

geeohdee

Feb 28, 2010
las vegas
hmm. thats an interesting idea. I was down there but i was too distracted by the excess cable to actually look at the pedal.

Edit: Also I've heard of people cutting and shortening throttle cables when they do swaps. Is this an option? Or is it to be avoided unless its for a swap?

Last edited:

geeohdee

Feb 28, 2010
las vegas
Any advice on throttle cable shortening? My pedal doesn't look bent but it is kind of hard to depress and it squeaks. I would just replace it but I'm short on funds, (Gotta buy the girlfriend a birthday present and do my brakes) so that idea is out of the question for about 4-6 weeks. It would be nice to get that handled as soon as possible.