Factory Oil System

Mikael_7m

Built 7M
Apr 26, 2009
Australia
Have done some searching and reading but I'm still scratching my head. Hope this is not a terribly silly question but...

When does the factory oil system start to reach its limits?

I have a mildy built 7M (rebuilt head, probes, eagle rods, new bearings etc) but I did not shim my new oil pump as by the time I decided to do so, it was too late in the build.

I am making 340whp at 16psi on a 57 trim and will be running my car at a "1000 meter sprint event".
I would like to know if I would be at risk of oil starvation or any other damaging occurrences.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Mikael_7m;1961038 said:
Have done some searching and reading but I'm still scratching my head. Hope this is not a terribly silly question but...

When does the factory oil system start to reach its limits?

I have a mildy built 7M (rebuilt head, probes, eagle rods, new bearings etc) but I did not shim my new oil pump as by the time I decided to do so, it was too late in the build.

I am making 340whp at 16psi on a 57 trim and will be running my car at a "1000 meter sprint event".
I would like to know if I would be at risk of oil starvation or any other damaging occurrences.

Well, some will say that you've already gone passed the limits of the stock oiling system. Some will also say that you're still well within the limits of the oiling system. I will be doing a full flow oil cooler ASAP, it never hurts to have too good of a oil cooling system.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
If you do he full flow oil setup you'll greatly help the oil system even with a factory pump. You'll be surprised

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Backlash2032;1961072 said:
Will the full flow system increase system pressure from no oil cooler at all? ie an n/a

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA

No, as you don't have the pressure based bypass cooler to begin with. You do have a different oil pump though on an NA.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
I've pushed mine extremely hard on the stock oiling system without issues. I am in the process of installing a large plate oil cooler on the factory cooler circuit though. I always keep the engine slightly overfilled as to never let it get below the full mark, ever. Many on the forums will recommend running with an extra quart in the sump.

Mikael_7m

Built 7M
Apr 26, 2009
Australia
jake8790;1961213 said:
I've pushed mine extremely hard on the stock oiling system without issues. I am in the process of installing a large plate oil cooler on the factory cooler circuit though. I always keep the engine slightly overfilled as to never let it get below the full mark, ever. Many on the forums will recommend running with an extra quart in the sump.

Yeah i've read that guys run a little over. I was under the impression that you'd blow seals. Cool, I might just top her up a little and keep of redline if I can't install the oil setup before the sprint event.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Running a quart over is about oil starvation. It's to prevent the situation where the oil in the pan is low enough during high G force driving to get air to the oil pump inlet. More oil in the system means a higher oil level in the pan.

I'll have some information on the difference between the stock oil cooler and a full-flow soonish, when I get my car running again after changing that (and a bunch of other stuff) over.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Just purchased my remote oil filter set up. Going to be running a beech remote filter head (-10AN had to call to get this size) along with a 180* oil tstat, and a cooler with -10 AN fitting and lines throughout. Also shimmed my pump.

I also think this is a bit overkill for your set up at the moment. I have big future plans, so I figure I better go big or blow up. -8 would be a fine set up on yours. I am well over your current HP and am running the stock system, and will continue to until I can get my new engine built and dropped in. I am not really scared of the oiling system failing on this current engine as I have a spare engine that needs assembled.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
The young kid that owned my supra before me beat the hell out of the supra every time he drove it (I know his older brother). Also for three months after I owned it I would always beat on it and i mean bad...just trying to blow it up. I cranked the boost up and eventually it happened. But the car had 130,000miles on it and ran great up until then. I had full 3" exhaust, intake, act clutch and boost controller at around 12psi.

Out of all the bad designs of the stock oil system, and peoples horror stories I can't help but remind myself during my current rebuild that if the stock system held up that well through all I put it through than I simply can't go wrong with adding the remote setup and bigger cooler. Also a pressure gauge.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
The stock oiling system isn't as horrifying as people would lead you to believe. The system is very susceptible to oil starvation when run low on oil. The majority of 7M bottom end failures are caused by oil starvation, antifreeze contamination, or both.

24vtoy

May 17, 2011
durban
sorry for the hijack, while we on this topic id just like to know if a too large oil cooler is bad for a car ? does it cause pressure drop ?

im looking to upgrade my stock ma70 7mgte oil cooler to maybe a 15 row cooler or is that a overkill ?

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
emericaskater285;1961257 said:
Just purchased my remote oil filter set up. Going to be running a beech remote filter head (-10AN had to call to get this size) along with a 180* oil tstat, and a cooler with -10 AN fitting and lines throughout. Also shimmed my pump.

I also think this is a bit overkill for your set up at the moment. I have big future plans, so I figure I better go big or blow up. -8 would be a fine set up on yours. I am well over your current HP and am running the stock system, and will continue to until I can get my new engine built and dropped in. I am not really scared of the oiling system failing on this current engine as I have a spare engine that needs assembled.

I would go -10 regardless of power goals. there is no such thing of overkill when it comes to eliminating possible weak points with an upgrade. If you want flow go with as much as possible , and -10 is where it starts.

QWIKSTRIKE

Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
CyFi6;1961392 said:
Overkill possibly but its going to cause less pressure drop than a smaller cooler so larger is better in that sense.

Keeping a good supply of oil cool is nerve overkill IMHO. I have about 9.5 quarts of oil each oil change of mobil 1 15w50 with dual filters and a 11x5x2 cooler.

Mikael_7m

Built 7M
Apr 26, 2009
Australia
Quick question guys which relates to oil contamination. (sorry to go slightly off topic)

Recently I was installing your typical 550s, lex afm and walbro and my HKS ecu failed for some reason and I hydrolocked the motor with fuel while cranking. Fuel was also dripping out from the downpipe/catback flange.

So ofcourse I sucked the fuel out of the cylinders right away and drained the oil, filled with new oil, ran it for a minute or so drained it, and filled with new oil. I was mainly worried about fuel contamination on the bearings. Could fuel have damaged my bearings in that short of a time?

QWIKSTRIKE

Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
Mikael_7m;1961455 said:
Quick question guys which relates to oil contamination. (sorry to go slightly off topic)

Recently I was installing your typical 550s, lex afm and walbro and my HKS ecu failed for some reason and I hydrolocked the motor with fuel while cranking. Fuel was also dripping out from the downpipe/catback flange.

So ofcourse I sucked the fuel out of the cylinders right away and drained the oil, filled with new oil, ran it for a minute or so drained it, and filled with new oil. I was mainly worried about fuel contamination on the bearings. Could fuel have damaged my bearings in that short of a time?

Only if it were driven. or running before clean up.