Factory Oil System

Mikael_7m

Built 7M
Apr 26, 2009
Australia
may have cranked it a few times with fuel in oil... :(
can't sleep at night

sorry back on topic, so you would recommend -10 as a minimum, even with a standard oil pump.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
7M4EVR;1961311 said:
The young kid that owned my supra before me beat the hell out of the supra every time he drove it (I know his older brother). Also for three months after I owned it I would always beat on it and i mean bad...just trying to blow it up. I cranked the boost up and eventually it happened. But the car had 130,000miles on it and ran great up until then. I had full 3" exhaust, intake, act clutch and boost controller at around 12psi.

Out of all the bad designs of the stock oil system, and peoples horror stories I can't help but remind myself during my current rebuild that if the stock system held up that well through all I put it through than I simply can't go wrong with adding the remote setup and bigger cooler. Also a pressure gauge.

Dunno why you think 130K miles is high. It's not, it's low as hell for a Toyota motor.

24vtoy;1961378 said:
sorry for the hijack, while we on this topic id just like to know if a too large oil cooler is bad for a car ? does it cause pressure drop ?

im looking to upgrade my stock ma70 7mgte oil cooler to maybe a 15 row cooler or is that a overkill ?

The stock cooler is a pressure based bypass cooler. In other words, when pressure is high enough, oil is diverted to the cooler and it bypasses the motor and goes straight to the pan. You already get a massive pressure drop from that...

Mikael_7m;1961455 said:
Quick question guys which relates to oil contamination. (sorry to go slightly off topic)

Recently I was installing your typical 550s, lex afm and walbro and my HKS ecu failed for some reason and I hydrolocked the motor with fuel while cranking. Fuel was also dripping out from the downpipe/catback flange.

So ofcourse I sucked the fuel out of the cylinders right away and drained the oil, filled with new oil, ran it for a minute or so drained it, and filled with new oil. I was mainly worried about fuel contamination on the bearings. Could fuel have damaged my bearings in that short of a time?

Eh, you're probably fine simply because it wasn't actually running.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Poodles;1961525 said:
Dunno why you think 130K miles is high. It's not, it's low as hell for a Toyota motor.

Trust me for as neglected as this car was by both the PO and my dumbass self, that and how much it was beat on it was a MIRACLE it made it that long.:nono:...but I get your point.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Alot of 7MGTE supra have gone to 200 k plus miles with stock oil system. If you keep oil in them they will be good to you. Oil is like blood. The one time you get to low you are dead like your "dreaded rod knock" stories. I bet they almost are always low on oil. I agree that one quart overfull is a good idea. Just my 2 cents, thanks.