Exhaust belching fire! Badass or dangerous?

HEDORAH

awwww fuck
Oct 3, 2010
Fort Lewis, WA
i installed the brand new driftmotion 3" exhaust and recorded a few pulls to redline. i noticed a flicker at :30 during playback and slowmo revealed flames! ftw?

it occurred just after hitting redline and letting off throttle. my air/fuel is probably off to cause the afterfire...
i need a safc bad but wont be able to get one til nov...

there is also lots of smoke from exhaust, but i think thats built up gunk from my prev bhg. engine was cleaned and rebuilt properly but still has stock header.
any guesses as to rich or lean ratio or is this normal? and any suggestions for temp fixes til nov? (it's not a daily driver)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Click video:

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
Do you have a BOV installed? That would cause the flames.

If you've got a stock IC/bypass setup it should not go rich when you let off.

DigityD'87

Feb 27, 2008
Portsmouth, NH
Well, you defintatly shouldn't be tacking out a stock 7m for any reason! It's possible that you got some un-burnt shit in your exhaust still. Have you been losing any oil? And there is no such thing as a temporary fix for a supra........unless you count the beer can/IC pipe fix.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
My car does this occasionally when i let off after boosting. Im venting my BOV i lit up a dark section of the highway one night pretty wicked.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
You can't see too well whether that's smoke or steam coming out of the tailpipe, but it's definitely not normal on a nice warm engine. Was the engine warm already? I wouldn't have been doing that with an engine that wasn't at temp yet, but that's just me.

It sounds like it has a bit of a miss from the video, but that could be just the mic clipping the audio too.

Last edited:

HEDORAH

awwww fuck
Oct 3, 2010
Fort Lewis, WA
Canuckrz;1628292 said:
Sounds oddly pulsy

lol it's called a lope at idle. :icon_smil
i worked on my car with a domestic nhra champ and we took some different approaches (aggressive cams, high compression, aggressive porting) than the usual supra 'turbo or go home' culture that seems so prevalent here. i'll be keeping her n/a for a long time. plan on completing the reliability/suspension/safety/drivers skill before getting crazy with power.

@everyone else: It was warmed up to optemp, i'm prob running lean right now, oil is good. i'm pretty sure it is unburnt junk left in header/cat from bhg. hasnt been run much except break in/drive home since fix. it runs clean after about 10 min on road...

Last edited:

HEDORAH

awwww fuck
Oct 3, 2010
Fort Lewis, WA
radiod;1628744 said:
What kind of cams/compression you running? Stock ECU tune? Any numbers at the wheel at all?

284 degree cams, 10.64:1, 208 cfm head port. k&n fipk, 3" driftmotion exhaust.

stock ecu, need a safc/tune bad. then ill dyno.

not a street car yet. running, but not running well.

Last edited:

kikdurazz

what's the birdcage for?
Apr 1, 2005
winnipeg
Even for an N/A that sounds like something missing. The miss is there when you rev it up. The smoking looks bad. I would pull the plugs man if you have been running lean You may have burnt a piston. That smoking doesn't look good and even after a BHG it should not be smoking like that for that long.

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
my friends 2jz-ge supra does the same thing but without the smoke and in low rpm. its amazing the first time. but gets to be annoying later

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
I think your new HG was crushed when putting the head back on. I might have missed it, but is there ARP studs and what did you torque them to ?