Engine rod knock/seized. Oil to blame?

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
um mm have you open up the motor yet and gave this thread a rest ? or are you going to white lab coat this thread to death

PS if this cam thing is an issue Mic them out to see if you worn them to shit cause the cam shaft is alot softer then the shim

and every time you put a cam in substitute one bottle for break in oil or add some zinc additive to your oil

all so i run castrol 10 30 gtx and never had an issue's and can't see my self switching to 5 30
and i don't see a problem with my choice

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
NashMan;1388348 said:
um mm have you open up the motor yet and gave this thread a rest ? or are you going to white lab coat this thread to death

PS if this cam thing is an issue Mic them out to see if you worn them to shit cause the cam shaft is alot softer then the shim

and every time you put a cam in substitute one bottle for break in oil or add some zinc additive to your oil

all so i run castrol 10 30 gtx and never had an issue's and can't see my self switching to 5 30 and i don't see a problem with my choice

Nash - It became clear to me long ago you are going by whatever it is you "believe" regardless. It is your choice, but be prepared for that choice to be corrected when it does not match up to the facts. You can remain ignorant if you so choose.

A ZDDP additive is not necessary for when you change cams...the motors that have major cam wear are on the flat tappet engines and require ZDDP. Overhead cam motors don't have this problem, but it will not hurt if the additive is used either.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
jdub;1388407 said:
Nash - It became clear to me long ago you are going by whatever it is you "believe" regardless. It is your choice, but be prepared for that choice to be corrected when it does not match up to the facts. You can remain ignorant if you so choose.

A ZDDP additive is not necessary for when you change cams...the motors that have major cam wear are on the flat tappet engines and require ZDDP. Overhead cam motors don't have this problem, but it will not hurt if the additive is used either.

a performance cam shaft should have an additive added in no cam company will warrant a cam with out it not being used dohc to tappet

PS lay low on the i know it all attitude no one likes it

why bother even quoting my post are you just trying stir the shit pot

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
di_rosa;1388181 said:
not everything gets caught by the oil filter, gonna have to clean everything you want to reuse

If you run a quality filter and it's not blocked to the point of bypassing anything that it doesn't "catch" is below the size particle that can cause wear.

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
not to threadjack. But Ian does that mean my filter was clogged? Because all of the metal particles still in my oil? Did you see the bearings btw?

Back to OT.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
NashMan;1388953 said:
a performance cam shaft should have an additive added in no cam company will warrant a cam with out it not being used dohc to tappet

PS lay low on the i know it all attitude no one likes it

why bother even quoting my post are you just trying stir the shit pot

Speak for yourself Nash...the only one displaying a self richeous know it all attitude is you.
I post about oil/additives because I know about the subject based on fact/science vs all the hearsay BS you spout off and never back up.

Last I checked the 7M and JZ series motors don't have tappets...the BC cams I bought have no such stipulation to use a ZDDP additive or break-in oil for the warranty. Nor do any other cams for the 7M and JZ series motors I've seen. Now, prove an additive is required for a valid warranty for the 7M and JZ series motors or STFU about it.

Villan - Unless you had a crap load of metal particles in the oil, it should not have blocked the filter enough for it to go into bypass. However, if it did, you are no longer filtering the oil and any metal would go straight to the bearings. It is also possible for crud post filter from not cleaning the oil passages broke up and caused damage to the bearings. /End Threadjack ;)

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
jdub;1389190 said:
Villan - Unless you had a crap load of metal particles in the oil, it should not have blocked the filter enough for it to go into bypass. However, if it did, you are no longer filtering the oil and any metal would go straight to the bearings. It is also possible for crud post filter from not cleaning the oil passages broke up and caused damage to the bearings. /End Threadjack ;)
thanks!

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
jdub;1389190 said:
Speak for yourself Nash...the only one displaying a self richeous know it all attitude is you.
I post about oil/additives because I know about the subject based on fact/science vs all the hearsay BS you spout off and never back up.

Last I checked the 7M and JZ series motors don't have tappets...the BC cams I bought have no such stipulation to use a ZDDP additive or break-in oil for the warranty. Nor do any other cams for the 7M and JZ series motors I've seen. Now, prove an additive is required for a valid warranty for the 7M and JZ series motors or STFU about it.

i have yet to say this or that i have yet to say no your wrong in this thread or questioned your oil stuff

all i have said is zzzan open the motor up you will find out what failed i highly dought it is the oil you said the same so wtf ?

crane cam's and colt cams i know for sure they wont warrant a cam if an additive is not used some times there support is pretty shitty and hard to deal with ( sorry colt cam's have all way's Bean good to me gotten lots of cams done by him )

plus you all ready agreed is good thing to do?

why doesn't BC requires an additive don't know maybe they use harder steel who knows it's there bizz they can run it the way they want

end of high jack X2 and the end

ps have you open up the motor yet ?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
NashMan;1389609 said:
i have yet to say this or that i have yet to say no your wrong in this thread or questioned your oil stuff

all i have said is zzzan open the motor up you will find out what failed i highly dought it is the oil you said the same so wtf ?

crane cam's and colt cams i know for sure they wont warrant a cam if an additive is not used some times there support is pretty shitty and hard to deal with ( sorry colt cam's have all way's Bean good to me gotten lots of cams done by him )

plus you all ready agreed is good thing to do?

why doesn't BC requires an additive don't know maybe they use harder steel who knows it's there bizz they can run it the way they want

end of high jack X2 and the end

ps have you open up the motor yet ?

For the record, I DID NOT say it was a good thing to do...I said it would not hurt. Big difference Dude...stop putting words in my mouth. I think it's a waste of $$$ for our cams.

As for your "proof", I thought so...as usual you spout shit out and can't prove it and/or have nothing to base it on the rest of us can see. I went through every kind of cam warranty I could think (including Crane and Colt) of and none of them require a ZDDP additive to keep it in effect for a DOHC motor. You're trying to deflect focus off what you said about the cams requiring an additive and what you said about using a 10W-30 for "extra pressure at idle". Don't bullshit me Nash...it's not going to work.

You are posting the "NashMan view of the world" and attempting to make it fact. You have been warned about this in the past and are too hard headed to stop. I gave you a chance...in fact, multiple chances and PM's. Time for a reminder.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
engine wont be pulled for another few days, I've been cleaning the garage for 4 days. YES 4 DAYS! Unbelievable how much shit is in there. Then I'm driving in my mk4 to replace the twin which I believe the ceramic wheel fell off :/ Having great luck in 1 month.

2 broken supra's, laid off.. haha August 2009 was definitely one to remember

Should have it out next week when my buddy returns form Europe and can give me my engine hoist back.