Energy Suspension Now has Spherical Bearing in kits

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
Just got a set of bushings from DM made by energy suspension. They have a replacement bushing for the spherical bearing in the kits now. Instructions say not to replace unless the bearing is loose. Its a polyurethane replacement...

So with that little disclaimer in there, how would a poly urethane replacement effect the suspension/handling vs the stock bearing?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
does the kit actually use a bearing, or a bushing allowing motion in only one plane?

if the latter is the case, absolutely do not use - I've seen replacing the spherical bearing with a bushing result in the fatigue failure of one of the suspension arms.

The bearing is there to permit multi-dimensional motion at that joint as the suspension cycles. Eliminating it changes the loading on the other arms beyond their design capacity. Bushings are far cheaper than bearings - if the system could have handled a bushing, toyota definitely would have thrown it in there.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
42210-14010 $28.94 ea, one per side.

Diagram may looking a bit confusing because multiple bushings/bearings are tied together to signify a new axle hub purchase and whats included.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Damn- I paid almost $50 a side for the sphericals.
Here's a pic of an old vs. new rear spherical:

p1903146_1.jpg

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
supraguy@aol;1903146 said:
Damn- I paid almost $50 a side for the sphericals.
Here's a pic of an old vs. new rear spherical:

p1903229_1.jpg

How can you tell if you need new bushings? The rear end of my car seems mushy and tends to wander at higher speeds, especially if there's a slight imperfection in the road.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
IndigoMKII;1903229 said:
How can you tell if you need new bushings? The rear end of my car seems mushy and tends to wander at higher speeds, especially if there's a slight imperfection in the road.

You probably need to replace them. If you hook up a go-pro camera pointed at one of the back wheels, it should be pretty apparent.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
so, in this application is the OEM a superior unit for the application?

my kit did not have them, so I used new OEM.. they seem like tough little units...

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
it's not like leaf spring eye-let frozen in place, it floats so it should not matter when you tighten it

jnybbad

Sep 16, 2012
vacaville, ca
I also got this new kit with the bushing to replace the spherical bearing. It is a one piece design not the two piece like the others, hard as hell to install. Ill give it a try.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
IJ.;1903956 said:
It has a physical stop in it from memory.

if it was you have alot of post saying why does my wheel wobby like it's about to fall off thread or why does my car pull to one side ect