Emilio's Rebuild & Improvement Build Thread

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
92nsx;1700887 said:
Good to see everything worked out, besides the flasher relay. you know it you blow that auto tranny or torque converter I have them also laying around ;)

I'll bring the flasher relay back to you some time, and keep the auto tranny on hand! Blue Supra drops out of Overdrive from time to time, which has me worried.

Also, do you happen to have the Cruise Control Relay from the '91 car still?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
1 4m g01ng 2 t4lk 2 u 1n 1337 5p34k. c4n u und3r5t4nd m3? u h4v3 2 8 w1r3d 2 g3t 1t ;)

Note: I am by no means a pro, so don't flame me too badly :p

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Sounds good on the tranny.

You talking about one of these ;) Toyota only wants $432 for a new one , ROFL. It is barred up under the dash drivers side. Looks like they show 4 different part numbers on EPC.

p1701053_1.jpg

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
emiliorescigno;1700893 said:
I'll bring the flasher relay back to you some time, and keep the auto tranny on hand! Blue Supra drops out of Overdrive from time to time, which has me worried.

Also, do you happen to have the Cruise Control Relay from the '91 car still?
big smokey burnout in your future. rofl..... still cant believe that worked!

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
92nsx;1701053 said:
Sounds good on the tranny.

You talking about one of these ;) Toyota only wants $432 for a new one , ROFL. It is barred up under the dash drivers side. Looks like they show 4 different part numbers on EPC.

That's not *quite* what I need. The computer I have should be fine, but there's a separate relay under the dash that's also for cruise control. I'll have to hunt for a picture/diagram...

Progress on the Supra has been slow recently. Most of my time has been spent working on my Roommate Dan's car. Hopefully he'll start up a build thread soon, and I'll get back to work on my own car.

edit:
Rob, it's PN 8220A in this diagram:
MEL288C.gif

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Umm.... I might have that, I would have to take another look. Only reason I feel I would have it is I removed "everything" from the left side of the car. I just left some of the "stuff" in it on the right side (a/c stuff IIRC). Looks to be small box, 1/4 the size of what I had a pic of. umm...............

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
So the school year is over, and I have some free time to work on the car for once. So just as luck would have it, I'm sick. All my things are completely moved down to Stillwater however, so I can get to work making BOTH cars work correctly. My attention is currently on the White Car and its exhaust leak.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

These are all brand-new gaskets from Champion Toyota, but it seems that the Exhaust Manifold gasket is the not-so-nice style that Steve warned me about. The one that was on there isn't in good shape at all, but I'm not sure if I want to take the gamble with this gasket or try to find a better one, if a better one even exsists. One thing I can say though, is that the Toyota Manifold/Turbo and Turbo/Exhaust gaskets are WAY better than the SupraSport ones - they're a joke!

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
toyotanos;1708446 said:
Emilio! That exhaust gasket is the kind you want!

I stand corrected! Bolting on in 3...2...1...

My exhaust manifold situation was a little sad too - about 4 of them are bolts since the studs stripped out, and two of the studs came out with their respective nuts when I removed them. Such is the life of a 7M I guess.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I highly suggest the DM 7/16 stud kit. Unfortunately, you would be hard pressed to do the drilling/tapping with the engine in the car :(

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
toyotanos;1708454 said:
I highly suggest the DM 7/16 stud kit. Unfortunately, you would be hard pressed to do the drilling/tapping with the engine in the car :(

I considered it, but I don't like the idea of having to remove the head, or tapping into it. I'm not practiced enough using a tap to trust myself on my cylinder head yet.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Well, just make sure the threads are clean, fine thread, and not going to pull out when you install it. Nothing worse than re-doing a job D:

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
Right angle drill will make quick work of drilling in that tight space, and as far as tapping goes just make sure the tap is started straight and use a T-handle tool to keep it straight.

I have drilled and tapped many holes. (har har har)