Eliminating body trim

Supralove93

Nov 20, 2012
Delaware
I am soon purchasing a 1987 mk3 supra. I am looking for a way to either completely remove or fill the area in with something painted to match the car. Any help is welcome

Last edited:

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
For the front of the fender, you may have to leave the trim, or else get really creative putting in the marker lights again. Same with the rear corners. These will have to have a gap as well, since you don't want to join the bumper covers to the quarters or fenders. I'd probably weld metal to the fenders/quarters to do it "right" but this could be done with good fibreglass and bondo work as well. (This would still be attached to the steel, or the seam line is going to look goofy.)

For the rear of the fenders and the doors, you'll want to weld in metal. You COULD fill the trough with bondo or fibreglass if you live somewhere that the temperature never changes more than 15 degrees, but since most of us don't, you'll want the welded in metal.

For the front of the quarters (Between the back of the door and the rear wheel wells) you'll need a seam line again, since the flares at the front of the rear wheels are plastic pieces that should still remain removeable. Here, I'd use polycarbonate plastic and extend the plastic piece from the bottom. This will be a bit out of line with the other seam lines, but will be isolated enough to pass.

Other than that, I'd suggest a search. Try "shave trim Mk3" -- that seems to come up with decent results.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
search for BIC performance, Randy shaved all of the trim on his car. He did it properly, all welded metal.

not my taste, I like the body lines with the trim, but if it's done the right way it can make the car look nice. if it's done improperly, you will be ridiculed and forever banned from the internet.

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
Just save yourself a lot of time, headaches, money and embarrassment and have the trim painted to match the body

87supramario

Jul 15, 2011
Niagara falls
Poodles;1897097 said:
The car was designed around that trim, so without it, it looks...odd.

This..

87supramario;1896863 said:
I

p1897147_1.jpg

p1897147_2.jpg

p1897147_3.jpg

It looks fine as the door goes but under the tail lights and center tail garnish and the ousides of the front signal lights looks stupid. There is no way to avoid the oddness of it.

I hope I was here on time to save another MKIII from a horrible death

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
87supramario;1897147 said:
This..

It looks fine as the door goes but under the tail lights and center tail garnish and the ousides of the front signal lights looks stupid. There is no way to avoid the oddness of it.

o_O Dear God, that owner should drive that thing off a cliff.
-AM3

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
What I don't like about it is that there's no way to remove the bumper covers, fenders, panels or other parts when you do that. Just having the seam showing - as it's supposed to - would look better, IMO.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
87supramario;1897147 said:
This..

I dont think it was just the trim that makes it look weird bro..... Jus sayin......

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Since you're a new owner and you might not know this, the 89-92 models came with nicer looking plastic trim that fits on the older 87-88 models and replaces the metal backed plastic trim. It also weights less. You should swap the tail lights to get the full effect, but you don't have to. I didn't on mine. Look at the pictures in my signature link to see the updated trim on my 87.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Just so you know, it can be done right....

goodsidepic.jpg

siderear.jpg

This was becauseican's car from BIC Performance. I don't know the details on how he did it, but it came out looking really nice.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Well, I'll say that I do like the silver one, but I'm a fan of an understated look.

I think that it looks a little stockier, and a bit more aggressive. the simple 5 spoke wheels in a complementary colour accentuate the look, without making it look like it's trying too hard.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
The BIC car is nice looking, but somehow just looks unfinished. Like a painting of the Mona Lisa with no mouth.