educate me!

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
gonna buy my supra this weekend and was planning ahead of time about my motor.
the car is originally a na auto but im gonna do a turbo manual swap hopefully soon but before it goes it, im gonna replace and upgrade first.

okay, my main question is i plan on using master power t70 on a stock 7mgte besides the mhg and arp head studs, so will the turbo spool and produce power like i plan. my goal is like 350 or so..im just planning on running the t70 plus fuel system and boost. maybe head built too and will a custom 3.5 dp straight back no res, no cat to exhaust help it breathe better ot is it too big or too small?

so which fuel pump, injecters cc, and other fuel system components do i need in order to make it run heathy. which wastegate to use? also, will the 7mgte be able to handle high boost just like that. it will only be driven on certain days only. how much psi is good on the t70 to spool kinda quick?

okay. tuning. i know nothing about tuning so tell me which one will suit my planned set up?

also, can i be able to wire in oem foglights to work as it there, never touch.

Last edited:

SUPERIUM

Low Postage Member
Nov 29, 2005
Buffalo, NY
I hope you plan on dumping atleast $3k+ to do the swap correctly and another $2k or so for the mods you wanna do. Cheaper to just buy a turbo mk3 in the long run.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
An upgraded CT-26 is going to spool as fast as anything else you can find, and is well known for the 400's. You will want to get a better intercooler. You will need to probably pick between the MAFT-Pro or the LEX/550 route with a piggyback for tuning. 3 1/2" Exhaust will be fine. Most do 3", and others do 4".

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
ForcedTorque;1480736 said:
An upgraded CT-26 is going to spool as fast as anything else you can find, and is well known for the 400's. You will want to get a better intercooler. You will need to probably pick between the MAFT-Pro or the LEX/550 route with a piggyback for tuning. 3 1/2" Exhaust will be fine. Most do 3", and others do 4".

tell me the difference between maftpro and the lex/550? also what piggybank is recommended?

i want a turbo one but cant find one for cheap. im picking up the na for 300 so thats y. no rust but paint is bad. also its burgundy in color so i like that.:love:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
maft pro is a tuning device. lex is a bigger afm and 550s are bigger injectors(both is a 25% increas in fuel and air so the stock comp can handle them).

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Mynes_3;1481031 said:
tell me the difference between maftpro and the lex/550? also what piggybank is recommended?

i want a turbo one but cant find one for cheap. im picking up the na for 300 so thats y. no rust but paint is bad. also its burgundy in color so i like that.:love:

I honestly have never done the research on the MAFT-PRO. My car is done with the Lex/550. That is a Lexus SC-400 Air Flow Meter (AFM) and 550CC injectors. The Lexus AFM is the exact same as the 7MGTE AFM, except it is 25% larger. It uses the exact same electronics, so you only need to buy the housing. The 550 injectors are 25% more than the 440 stock injectors.

I learned after getting into it that there are several more parts you need to go along with those two parts. You also will want a Walbro fuel pump, and a 1 to 1 rising rate fuel pressure regulator (aeromotive) for the fuel system. Then, you will want to tune with a piggyback such as a SAFCII or an Apexi AFC-NEO. Even if you pay someone else to tune it, you need to have this for them to tune with. And, finally, you will want to have a wideband oxygen sensor, so you can keep an eye on your tune, so that you don't blow it up blindly and blame it on the 7M.

Take the word cheap and strike it from your vocabulary. You should do all of this BEFORE upgrading your turbo, or at the same time. It is not cheap! You can get away with skipping a couple of these parts, but it is not recommended. I believe the MAFT-Pro is a cheaper/better way, but again, I can't educate you there.

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
ForcedTorque;1481146 said:
I honestly have never done the research on the MAFT-PRO. My car is done with the Lex/550. That is a Lexus SC-400 Air Flow Meter (AFM) and 550CC injectors. The Lexus AFM is the exact same as the 7MGTE AFM, except it is 25% larger. It uses the exact same electronics, so you only need to buy the housing. The 550 injectors are 25% more than the 440 stock injectors.

I learned after getting into it that there are several more parts you need to go along with those two parts. You also will want a Walbro fuel pump, and a 1 to 1 rising rate fuel pressure regulator (aeromotive) for the fuel system. Then, you will want to tune with a piggyback such as a SAFCII or an Apexi AFC-NEO. Even if you pay someone else to tune it, you need to have this for them to tune with. And, finally, you will want to have a wideband oxygen sensor, so you can keep an eye on your tune, so that you don't blow it up blindly and blame it on the 7M.

Take the word cheap and strike it from your vocabulary. You should do all of this BEFORE upgrading your turbo, or at the same time. It is not cheap! You can get away with skipping a couple of these parts, but it is not recommended. I believe the MAFT-Pro is a cheaper/better way, but again, I can't educate you there.

thanks. understand it more clearly. i was planning on the apexi safc. which 550cc injectors is good quality? btw, i was thinking about the aem wideband uego? is that one good or anything cheaper that is better or equal to? who in cali is good in tuning supras? ill put them on my list as i go along so ill have them down when the car is up.

im also not going to cheap out on this project.its my first so ill try everything not to cut corners.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Again, be sure of your plan before you start buying parts. You won't need the SAFC if you go MAFT-Pro. Other parts I left out, such as a boost controller or boost gauge, can also be skipped that way.

The reputation of the AEM Eugo is very good. I personally bought one, and so far it is crap for me. It didn't work right from the start, so I sent it back, and they claimed it to be fixed. It still didn't work, and they said it must be a problem with my sensor. I haven't bothered replacing it yet, because I am trying to get my car running again. Hopefully it will be fine once I get around to getting it going again.

I bought PTE 550 injectors, but I made the mistake of doing it on ebay. I found out that they were fake, so I sent them out to be flow tested, and they did fine. So, be careful with ebay parts. PTE, RC or RX7 550 injectors (not sure which ones) are also good choices. By all means stay clear of Venom, and also Lexus V8 550's.

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
if i go maft pro, do i still need all those fuel system and so on? if i remember correctly, i was reading somewhere about using mk4 fuel pump in the mk3. is that good or should i just get the walbro turbo one? will it drop right in and have no trouble with the na system.

okay. so pte injectors and any recommended wideband then? also, do i need to chip the stock turbo ecu or just tune on the safc?

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
chips are useless if you have a tuner,,, i would go with Rc engineering 550's and zeitronix wideband, just as a side note, you may want to consider packing your foundation before putting a shopping mall on it, if you get my drift,,,,,,

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
SupraSean;1481599 said:
chips are useless if you have a tuner,,, i would go with Rc engineering 550's and zeitronix wideband, just as a side note, you may want to consider packing your foundation before putting a shopping mall on it, if you get my drift,,,,,,

thanks. so if i go lex afm/550 then i dont need ecu chipping but just run turbo ecu and tune on safc right?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Some people recommend the MKIV over the Walbro. Either one should drop in fairly easily. I have an article in the articles section with step by step pictures of the fuel pump swap.

There is no known chipped ECU for our cars. I am not sure of exactly what all you can do with the MAFT-PRO, but I believe it can get you by without the SAFC.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Also a few other things to keep in mind when buying a NA that your going to swap a GTE into. You may want to hold out for a GTE in the first place.

GTE will get you better brakes right off the bat with antilock. Something your not going to have with a GE body originally.

Sound deadening is greater in the GTE.

A few other things too, can't remember off the top of my head at the moment.

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Flateric;1481611 said:
Also a few other things to keep in mind when buying a NA that your going to swap a GTE into. You may want to hold out for a GTE in the first place.

GTE will get you better brakes right off the bat with antilock. Something your not going to have with a GE body originally.

Sound deadening is greater in the GTE.

A few other things too, can't remember off the top of my head at the moment.

plus you dont need to worry about wiring,,,and if you can find a 5speed then that eliminates that problem too.

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
damnnnnn. its an auto na so guess im messed. can i get around the abs then. i wont really drive the car that much anyway. what about the wiring then? whats hard about it?