Ebay turbo elbow

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
Back in November I bought a stainless steel turbo downpipe elbow for $85 with shipping on ebay. It arrived a week later and I put it in place a couple of weeks later. Bolted up nice and all seemed well....except it was leaking at the gasket. Leaking specifically between turbo and new elbow on the top. Tightened the nuts but didn't help.
Today was getting ready to put that back on with the turbo out of the car. Bolted that elbow on with a composite type gasket (used a metal one last time) and held it up to the sun and I could see light coming in through that same area.
Sure enough the ebay elbow isn't flat. Now have to see if the machine shop can flatten it out.

Attachments

• 7mgte_outlet_b.jpg
    7mgte_outlet_b.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 52

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
that sux...i think your making a bigger headache for yourself by trying to save a couple pennies. we have some great vendors on here that make exhaust products that fit. a machine shop can straighten out but why not buy BIC's while downpipe

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
The $120 difference feels better in my pocket. I'm sure their product is well manufactured. If I were to do the exahaust again I would go with a divorced DP one piece unit to attach right after where the cat would be for the $350 and call it done.

That was recommended and I chose this path instead which cost me $185. So for less than the cost of the Suprasport elbow I accomplished my goal.

My supra is a beat on machine....a total disvestment for my pleasure.

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
easternguy2005;1216578 said:
The $120 difference feels better in my pocket. I'm sure their product is well manufactured. If I were to do the exahaust again I would go with a divorced DP one piece unit to attach right after where the cat would be for the $350 and call it done.

That was recommended and I chose this path instead.

well manufactured products dont leak

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
yup i bought a ebay downpipe with built in elbow, it visually looked like there was a gap at the very top, but i got lucky and no leak....BUT!! that flange on the underside stuck out so far that it blocked the WG from opening all the way, i hit 13psi on my first run, and 15psi on my second.:3d_frown:
pulled it off and did some grinding now all is good.

if i was to do it allover, i woulda spent the extra dollars. but your call.

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
Funny you mention high temp copper. My friend (here we go again) told me go pick up some of that RTV stuff...make sure its the RED one for your exhaust pipe. I thought that shit would melt off but on disassembly I found it was like a dust on the metal gasket between the turbo and the exhaust manifold. On the exaust pipe from the elbow it was pliable and I guess ok...

Definitely gonna get me a tube of that copper stuff and give it a try after having that thing flattened.

This is my first real experience with flatness and tolerances as I learn. I thought for sure that I could bolt these two together and that composite gasket would "clean it up" for me. Seeing is believing for my dumbass.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I do the Header to Head gasket, Turbo to Adaptor, Adaptor to Header, Turbo to Downpipe, WG to Header and Downpipe, the rest of the system is expansion joints so seal up soon as they get warm.

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
Since I have the elbow here I took a few pics of it on the counter as I rotate it.

I would have wanted to see this so I'm presenting it.

Incidentally this had some of that red RTV on the gasket so I guess there's a limit as to how much of a gap RTV can seal.

I must be learning otherwise I would load it up with copper and slap it on.

Attachments

• elbow1.jpg
    elbow1.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 48
  • elbow2.jpg
    elbow2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 48
  • elbow3.jpg
    elbow3.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 50

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I almost bought one of these but found a lipp elbow for cheapish before..

I wouldn't say it's horribly made, the flange just warped when it was welded. Im sure when BIC makes his DP's he resurfaces the flanges after welding...

IJ would be right.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
what about sanding them by hand on a piece of marble or something?

it worked good for doing the shims for the head when i needed a really specific size..

but if all fails just have a machine shop do it.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I bought an ebay elbow 3 years ago, and have never had a bit of problem out of it. It was ported, and had an aircraft coating on it that is still shiny to this day. I paid about the same thing you did. Maybe the ebay seller will chime in on this thread one day. Not everything on ebay is a cheap ass no good product. But now that the cheap asses have run off most of the honest sellers, now they can charge what the good guys used to charge and get it.