Early '89 Wiring harness pinout with colors

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
This is the wiring for an early '89 Turbo Supra 5-speed. The plugs will actually fit a '87 and '88 but the wires were changed and removed from some plugs so please note the differences.

A lot of people think there are 87-88, 89-92 wiring harnesses, but there are more combos. Hope this helps.

B1 Plug

p1730886_1.png

1. Heater Water VSV---------------------------- Black \ Yellow

2. L3 to ECU used for -TEMS------------------------------------ Red / White

3. L2to ECU used for TEMS------------------------------------- RED

4. L1 TO ECU used for TEMS------------------------------------- BLACK

5. Check Connector for Fuel p--------------------------- Black \ Red

6. Circuit opening relay coil---------------------------------- GREEN

7. A/T circuit for coil opening relay----------------------Medium / Black Blue

8. Fuel Pump Relay on ECU----------------------------- YELLOW

9. Switched 12v For EFI From Fuse box- also +B check connector--------- Black \ Red Medium

10. A/C water temp switch ---------------------- Green \ Red

11. Goes to Start Solenoid-------------------------- HUGE Black \ Blue

12. A/C Compressor Magnate switch TO ECU------------------ Blue \ Red

13. TEMS Check Singal------------------------------------ Purple

14. NSW for clutch TO ECU -----------------------Black \ Yellow

15. Ignition switch to ECU-------------------------- Gray

16. +12v for igniter and fuel injectors etc, also resistor in engine bay --------------BIG Black \ Orange

17. Theft deterrent horn plug on harness -----------Yellow \ Blue

18. From headlight relay for Idle up, goes to ECU ---- ----------–Red \ Yellow

M1 Plug

p1730886_2.jpg

1. Signal backup light switch --------------------------------------------- Red \ Black

2. Positive for backup light switch Plus for Heater water valve VSV --------------- YELLOW

3. Speedometer signal from ECU to combination meter ------------------------- PINK

4. Ignition signal to tech, from check connector to igniter------------------------ BLACK

5. Turbo indicator light signal for combination meter, also A1 plug----------------- Red \Green

6. ECU ground and Water temp gauge mass signal ------------------------ ---- BROWN

7. From pressure switch for oil gauge, also from ECU---------------------------- Yellow \ Black

8. W signal for warning light on dash ---------------------------------------- Grey \ Green

9. water temp sensor for combo meter Yellow –------------------------------- GREEN

10. From defogger relay also goes to plug A1 - ----------------------------- PURPLE

B3 Plug

p1730886_3.png

1. Rear ABS Sensor wire-----------------------------------------Black

2.Rear ABS sensor wire---------------------------------Red/ Black

3. Rear ABS sensor wire-----------------------------------------Yellow

4. Progressive Power Steering Solenoid--------------------White / Red

5. Progressive Power Steering Solenoid---------------------White / Green

Last edited:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Eathan, this is why I refer everyone needing help your way. Thank you for all you do for this community. The understanding that there are way more variables than year groups is something that needs to be pushed as often as possible around here. It would be very cool if you could eventually do all years like this. I'm pretty sure you have 92, but the other years make take forever for you to see.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
YAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!
if you dont mind i may actually add to this thread later outlining what wires are different between the years.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
ForcedTorque;1730888 said:
Eathan, this is why I refer everyone needing help your way. Thank you for all you do for this community. The understanding that there are way more variables than year groups is something that needs to be pushed as often as possible around here. It would be very cool if you could eventually do all years like this. I'm pretty sure you have 92, but the other years make take forever for you to see.

Thanks. I hope to maybe get harnesses over the years and just take the color and check each pin to make sure where it runs too. I will be able to give everyone the functions of a '88 Supra ECU pin-outs with colors in about a few days.

kotu100;1730890 said:
YAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!
if you dont mind i may actually add to this thread later outlining what wires are different between the years.

I do not mind, also the colors are not really what you have to pay attention to. It is where Toyota placed them. The color never really changed much. The automatic transmission uses a lot more wires to go to the auto transmission then into the dash to the ETC. Again this is for a Manual so they extra 10 wires or so are not listed there. The variations are ridiculous. Toyota chnaged so many things and it was such a small change but enough for people to get confused about a few things. If you ever need a harness new from Toyota, give them your VIN for a 100% match. The main issues is when you get into 89, then again 89 -90 , then more changes in 91-92 :)

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
92TealSupra;1730891 said:
The main issues is when you get into 89, then again 89 -90 , then more changes in 91-92 :)

Yep:

89 = No Airbag
90 = Added Air Bag
91-92 = Different connectors

Plus there are all different variations for the option your car has. It's not as easy as green plug or grey plug, or 86-88/89+.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
ya i realized they used the same colors for the most part.
So far i've found that in the M1 plug everything from 88 to 89 is the same except that the 88 M1 plug has an extra wire.
pin #5 turbo indicator light red/green
this wire doesnt exist on the 89 M1 plug according to the pinouts you've given.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Was it you that had the pre89 site with these on it before?

I have been looking for that link for a while now.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No. I think idealsupra hosted it or someone..

The supras.nl has its ups and downs. Its pretty euro the way they went about it.

The one im talking about was pre 89 only and was spot on.