E36 1JZ Swap

JAMDUN17

Aug 1, 2011
Germantown MD
Hey guys ive been working on this swap for about 2 months now, the motor was running but had low compression in cylinder 4 and slightly low in 5. I bought the entire car for 1200 dollars, Currently the engine has a Fuel cut, boost cut, map sensor, Y pipe, R154 transmission with lightwieght flywheel, 6 puck clutch, no idea what kinda pressure plate, with a walbro 255, btw most of the things i listed was all a complete surprise. Frankly i think i got away with a pretty good deal.

Anyway on to the pics and where the car is currently at. The car is crushed with a few key pieces taken out. Instead of doing a light rebuild of just a changed head gasket im doing a a full refresher.

IMG_0262 by kareem.richards, on Flickr

IMG_0282 by kareem.richards, on Flickr

IMG_0287 by kareem.richards, on Flickr

IMG_0293 by kareem.richards, on Flickr

IMG_0301 by kareem.richards, on Flickr

Here is the gash that was in the front most bearing

IMG_0303 by kareem.richards, on Flickr

to save the bandwidth im only putting up the most scored piston and block pictures

IMG_0313 by kareem.richards, on Flickr

IMG_0308 by kareem.richards, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

Since That point i deglazed the block and it took off all the marks, the pistons are currently out getting coated with PC9 on the skirts and Gold Ceramic coating on the Top by Swain Tech.

Engine Block Painted by kareem.richards, on Flickr

Cylinder Head cleaned with new seals in and pressure tested, head shaved with a diamond finish

clean cylinder head by kareem.richards, on Flickr

ARP main studs

278658_685713313258_39705557_35170461_6732865_o by kareem.richards, on Flickr

Cross hatching after deglazing, has reflection due to oil i placed on it to keep the rust off

277564_685716097678_39705557_35170494_5915853_o by kareem.richards, on Flickr

Found a goodie in the fuel tank right before i crushed the car, a Walbro 255 LPH, previous owner never mentioned it.

271701_685716581708_39705557_35170499_7791613_o by kareem.richards, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

Im thinking this motor has about 370 at the crank (maybe being a bit optimistic) im looking to get 450 at the wheel with my SC61 on it but that wont be till much later.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
pic of the car? kind of reminds me of a guy named Ahmed that I know... lives down in Florida and wanted to do a 1j swapped e36. Dunno if he did it or not though...

JAMDUN17

Aug 1, 2011
Germantown MD
The car sits today

PBIR Autox7 by kareem.richards, on Flickr

100_1011 by kareem.richards, on Flickr

Mods to the current car
AA track pipe, X brace, AA chip, Underdrive Pulleys, B&B tri-flo, Tein SS Coilovers, Tein Pillowball Topmounts with Camber Adjustment, UUC front sway bars, Kar-Bar CAI, Kosie K1 17 x 8.5., UUC lightwieght flywheel, 6 puck ceramic/kevlar clutch, m5 pressure plate. 229+ whp 217+ wtq on DynoJet

The rears have been flared out, so im going with a 10 inch wide tire and 275 tires (Same size as C6 Z06 Front so i can get some selection on tires) which i think should ride the line of looking good and giving me the Grip i need to stick.

Anyway this is my I'm new to the Forums post and always looking for helpful advice

JAMDUN17

Aug 1, 2011
Germantown MD
stevenr816;1744359 said:
about time bmw people start learning :)
i cant picture myself spending $12k on a supercharger...

BMW tax is a hell of a thing.
Just to give you an idea, when all of this is done, add up all the parts and ill come up about 100 less then buying an M motor with around 70-90k miles on it. Around 3k less then buying a c38 superchager kit and about 6k less then turbocharging the car. btw thats not including me selling anything, which when i do ill actually be making money from this swap. Pure Win.

JAMDUN17

Aug 1, 2011
Germantown MD
Updates, Still waiting on pistons to come back from Swain tech, buying a clutch kit from a member on this forum as well as so i can get this all together. Ended up buying 7M main and rod bearings buy accident so im selling them and a couple other MK3 things so if anyone wants them PM Me. Will take more pics as soon as everything gets in.

JAMDUN17

Aug 1, 2011
Germantown MD
time to add one more to my thread count via more pics
Block prepped and pistons in after everything was balanced to 1/10th of a gram (took a crap load out of the crank). Pistons dropped in using the dry method

IMAG0089 by kareem.richards, on Flickr

and got a set of brembos for my rims

IMAG0078 by kareem.richards, on Flickr

so anyone who has done swaps before have any tips on wiring ?

M33P

Jun 20, 2011
bel air
hey there, i currently am in the middle of the same swap. all i have left to do is a driveshaft, intercooler piping, throttle cable, and coolant lines. good luck! i have a build thread on mdstreetscene.com if you wanna go check it out

WillWork4Boost

Mar 10, 2011
Miami, Florida
Moy;1744024 said:
pic of the car? kind of reminds me of a guy named Ahmed that I know... lives down in Florida and wanted to do a 1j swapped e36. Dunno if he did it or not though...

Nah, I don't think Ahmed will be doing a 1J swap, he was trying to sell the car not too long ago.

I'm interested in this build OP, make sure to take lots of pictures.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
stevenr816;1744359 said:
about time bmw people start learning :)
i cant picture myself spending $12k on a supercharger...

Meh.

Cool swap, but there are other routes I'd go before 1jz. LSx comes to mind, or turbo a good used s50. I'd do either of those before a 1jz swap. OP- are you on BF.c?

JAMDUN17

Aug 1, 2011
Germantown MD
WillWork4Boost;1755356 said:
Nah, I don't think Ahmed will be doing a 1J swap, he was trying to sell the car not too long ago.

I'm interested in this build OP, make sure to take lots of pictures.
Oh trust me there will be an overload of pics as it goes into the car, planning on doing a wiring write up

shaeff;1755374 said:
Meh.

Cool swap, but there are other routes I'd go before 1jz. LSx comes to mind, or turbo a good used s50. I'd do either of those before a 1jz swap. OP- are you on BF.c?

My S50 was going as well as my trans, looked at the cost effectiveness and this came out much cheaper in terms of doing the swap like this and the easy power so far even with all of this I haven't spent more then 2300 which includes purchase of the car. And that not including parts I have sold and crushing the car. If I total everything up on things I have sold so far I'm still sub 1700 which isn't bad considering I haven't even sold stuff off the M motor yet. Realisticly speaking this swap will cost me around 1k. Lsx's was considered but this is a better fit for what I'm going to do.

Yeah I'm on bf.c as well. Same screen name

JAMDUN17

Aug 1, 2011
Germantown MD
M33P;1755338 said:
hey there, i currently am in the middle of the same swap. all i have left to do is a driveshaft, intercooler piping, throttle cable, and coolant lines. good luck! i have a build thread on mdstreetscene.com if you wanna go check it out

Your website got blocked, says it has a virus on there.

M33P

Jun 20, 2011
bel air
its the local maryland car scene forum and im on it everyday so idk why it would be blocked. this is its current state. I just need to figure out my fan situation and get a driveshaft and its done, intercooler is mounted but no piping has been routed yet but it is sitting in my room.

p1756556_1.jpg

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Buddy had a e36 with a blown motor, with a 1jz just sitting in his garage. Kept telling him to do this swap, but he never got around to it.

Love this!

JAMDUN17

Aug 1, 2011
Germantown MD
After a month long hiatus from the project due to some family issues the swap is back up and running again. Just a few pieces left till this is all started. The wiring harness has been sent out to chase bay, gave up on that since the i discovered the harness was hacked to pieces when i opened up all the covers. So instead i would rather give it to a place that rewires the entire thing instead of just cutting and splicing.

Relocated the PS reservoir and made new lines to connect the pump to rack.

IMAG0215 by kareem.richards, on Flickr

IMAG0217 by kareem.richards, on Flickr

Lined up the transmission and the shifter fits dead center, gotta love this ease of this swap.

IMAG0132 by kareem.richards, on Flickr

IMAG0135 by kareem.richards, on Flickr

Next jobs on the list is the clutch line and the fuel lines which are easy but running into a snag with the drive shaft.

My plan is to use the majority of the supra drive-shaft since the center support bearing lines up with the BMW hanger mount with some really minor modifications and the drive-shaft is much thicker and presumably stronger. Problem is the BMW shaft was made to be a throw away because of its friction welds and no pilot in the middle (according to broward powertrain) making it hard to cut off and weld to the supra shaft.

My new solution uses both the supra and BMW shaft with a connection at the removable U-Joint.

IMAG0219 by kareem.richards, on Flickr

Problem is it would go from 4 inch to short to about 1/2 to long but it might be easier to weld together.

Taking all suggestions

JAMDUN17

Aug 1, 2011
Germantown MD
Also for those into E36's. I bought a E36 M3 Evo cluster for 200 dollars shipped from the UK which is pretty much highway robbery

IMAG0222 by kareem.richards, on Flickr

Perfect redline for a 1jz swap and built in oil temp gauge for a clean look. only want three aftermarket gauges max.