Dyno comparisons (my $20 dyno day experience)

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
1st off; I know I'm not putting down the best hp#s, but this thread isn't about that. I wanted to see how much difference the #s would be between dyno brands since I have read so many conflicting stories. I had a feeling the Mustang dyno was going to show low #s, and I was fine with that.

The moral of the story is this: all dynos are calibrated differently. Whether you're consistantly running on Dynojets or Mustangs, if you don't use the same one, you're going to have variances ALONG with the fact that the air pressure, temp and pressure changes as well.

But now I have ran on all 3 major dyno types, with basically the same setup just so I could say I have done it.

5/15/2008 - 300ish miles on engine
Dynojet
155whp 175wtq

5/15/2009 - 10,000ish miles on engine, after HKS 1.2mm MHG was installed
Dyno Dynamics
152whp 175wtq
165whp 188wtq (same day, 5 runs later, AFM leaned out)

6/13/2009 - 11,000 miles on engine, no changes.
Mustang Dyno
158whp 178wtq

Videos from today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfXlBppDvmU

She broke a strap @ 6,000rpms, hahaha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOpqOzkJUCc

It was supposed to be $20 for one run, no a/f but I ended up getting 3 runs in bc the first guy screwed up the 1st run and let off at 5,000 and then the strap broke on the 2nd run. YAY 3 runs for $20!

p1343157_4.jpg

p1343157_5.jpg

p1343157_6.jpg

p1343157_7.jpg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Same dyno same day if the ambient temp changes and they don't correct the setting the reading will be out ;)

People get so hung up on numbers and forget it's just a tool to achieve an end.

I nag a LOT on the dyno as it's my shit at risk.

Numbers were a lot closer than I'd expect and the last run in v2 was clean.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Yep... the guy on the Dyno Dynamics told me his dyno was calibrated to within 1% of a Dynojet. And the Mustang dyno #s were a bit higher than what I would have expected....

I think I've been pretty lucky with the dynos I've ran on. Although quite a few people keep telling me my car should have higher #s, but whatever. I guess I'll have to find out on the track :D

oh and the Mustang dyno's weather correction factor read somewhere about 163whp and 181ft/lbs... something like that.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
A LOT of the numbers seen online are fudged badly......

It's just marketing, Joe Street racer gets his car tuned on Dyno A it makes 400rwhp then attends a dyno day at Dyno B, then guys give him a few free "tweaks" spin it up and it makes 440rwhp and he's told it can be much better with a full tune with their secret settings..

In reality it more than likely made the same power if everything else was equal ie: Same altitude, humidity and air temps...

Joe goes and tells his buddies WOW Dyno B shop rocks everyone go there!

This may just be my cynicism showing but Dyno shops don't make enough $ from a dyno day to make it worth giving up a day of their weekend and paying their staff so the above is the ulterior motive ;)

I'd be more concerned at a clean consistant run than the number at the end and you got that, it didn't sound grotty or stressed at all so well done.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Werd, like I said... I've been lucky. I don't think anyone sees me and my car as being a big money maker for them so my dyno's aren't tweaked and I don't get a lot of marketing shit spewed at me. If I had a turbo, it'd be another story I'm sure :D

next dyno = will be after my AFPR is installed and I need to re-tune the AFRs. I will probably go back to the Dyno Dynamics shop :D

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Tanya, what is the best HP you have seen out of a N/A 5M? From my limited experience around a dyno, you are pushing up close to the best I have seen. Is that why the 7M swap is so popular? I loved my MKII in stock form, way back when.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
T-style, not to d-rail your thread or maybe I missed it, but when did you get your supra back from Washington :aigo: ?

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
ForcedTorque;1343319 said:
Tanya, what is the best HP you have seen out of a N/A 5M? From my limited experience around a dyno, you are pushing up close to the best I have seen. Is that why the 7M swap is so popular? I loved my MKII in stock form, way back when.

215rwhp out of a 5M with ITBs. 217rwhp out of an ITB 6M.... I don't have a 5M btw, lol. Someone in SoCal recently put down 187rwhp and 192ft/lbs on a 6MGE similar to mine, only running a standalone. I'm trying to get to that point w/o having to do that... I'm still running a completely stock head btw :)

The 7M swap is only popular bc people eventually turbo it after awhile. 7MGEs don't really make all the best HP n/a bc it is already engineered very well. I've seen about 215rwhp made out of a 7MGE as well, but that was flogging it with thousands of dollars.

92nsx;1343502 said:
T-style, not to d-rail your thread or maybe I missed it, but when did you get your supra back from Washington :aigo: ?

Last month. I flew out to WA at the end of April and drove my car back.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
correct me if I'm wrong, but the 6M is 86.5-88 7M block/crank and a 5M head? Because I know the early 7M's used 6M cranks...

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
ForcedTorque;1343626 said:
i have no knowledge of what a 6M really is. Is that a 5M with a 6M crank? Or is there other differences as well?

The 6MGE came in MZ12 Soarers (1985) and MS125 Crowns (1984-87) in Japan. It was basically Toyota's stepping stone to the 7MGE.

6MGE = 5MGE head and pistons, but 6M crank and rods. The 6MGE blocks have 3 knock sensor bosses, just like a 7M block, but only one is drilled/tapped. The 6MGE only came in "early" style blocks, meaning no extra ribbing or wider rails like the 89+ 7Ms.

They put out roughly 175hp/180tq @ the crank stock

Mine is about 194hp and 222ft/lbs assuming 15% drivetrain loss.