Dyed my interior carpets BLACK - - what do you think?

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
I really prefer my interiors to be neat and tidy, my latest A70 didnt come with the greatest condition interior, and this is largely due to the carpet being stained and torn. The condition is poor to the point where the carpets were almost a throw away anyway so I thought id experiement with some DIY vinyl and carpet dye. I like black interiors and my Recaro seats are black so naturally I decided to go with satin black.

was a very easy job, minimal mess and cheap/easy (used 3 cans, they cost $17 each).

take a look! i'm very pleased with the results.

BEFORE: dirty, torn UGLY!
p1594847_1.jpg

AFTER:
p1594847_2.jpg

vacuumed the bare floor while the carpet was out and put everything back properly as i havent had a chance to do this since i got the car. feels much nicer inside now, the interior looks almost brand new. Will get some pics of it all re-assembled tomorrow!

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Let's see it installed and I'll give you my honest opinion. I'm considering getting some black carpet to re-do my interior so maybe it will help me out. I want to do black seats, panel inserts, arm rest, carpet to compliment my shadow gray pieces.. I think it'll look good..

Waiting on pics! :)

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
Yeah I need to do the carpet in the bottom part of the door trim black
too as it looks miss matched. I was thinking about doing the door card inserts black as well but they are jza70r trims and I don't want to wreck them as they are hard to find. Could get some re trimmed in black leather but then I don't have anything else leather to match it and who am I kidding, I give no fark for flashy interiors, as long as they are subtle, neat and tidy :)

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
I concur with Whitemike about having the carpet installed first... but it oughta look great filling out the color coordination in total.

My carpet looked like yours when i first got my car: soda stains and discolored.
My fix was to hang up the carpet on a fence, saturate with pinesol/simple green, hose off very well and let air dry.

Personally, I feel a totally black interior, while very cool at first, gets frustrating if you drive at night a lot and happen to need to fumble around in the dark looking for stuff.
Get a small flashlight, it helps :D

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
RazoE;1594950 said:
I want to paint mine a darker gray in my 92 (not black though), but I DO want to go black in my 89 (going for a blue/black interior theme)...

looks good..!
I was considering going dark grey (like the shadow grey in my old JZA70 R) and they actually had this colour right next to black but I decided that since my seats were black, i'd go with that instead. it's not a perfect match against the grey but there is enough black eslewhere to pull it off.

thedave925;1594953 said:
I concur with Whitemike about having the carpet installed first... but it oughta look great filling out the color coordination in total.

My carpet looked like yours when i first got my car: soda stains and discolored.
My fix was to hang up the carpet on a fence, saturate with pinesol/simple green, hose off very well and let air dry.

Personally, I feel a totally black interior, while very cool at first, gets frustrating if you drive at night a lot and happen to need to fumble around in the dark looking for stuff.
Get a small flashlight, it helps :D
lol, fumbling is something I can put up with, but i do have a tiny pocket flashlight on my key chain that I picked up in the states, the thing is blinding! could be dangerous to oncoming traffic haha

Koenigturbo;1594962 said:
Question: Don't you have to have the carpet very clean before the dye will take?
nope, I didnt bother scrubbing or shampooing. Would probably get an overall better result if you did but all that's required is a thorough vacuume before hand. the dye takes to anything, as you can see, it covered up all of those stains fairly well.

the instructions on the car indicate to spray in one direction, then use a stiff brush to seperate the fibres before it dries (so it doesnt go all stiff) and then spray in the opposite direction so that it covers all of the fibres. otherewise when you shift the plush whilst cleaning or with contact or whatever, it may look the previous colour in that area. I didnt bother with the brush and went in a couple of directions and you can still see a hint of grey when you move the fibresm but it gives it a natural look like it came from the factory.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
haha, i've done some LHD driving when over there visiting the gf's family. i can cope with sitting on the other side of the car but operating the stick shift with my right hand is just wrong! haha

Chard

Oct 11, 2005
Fairfax, VA
thedave925;1595377 said:
That Recarco seating makes it all look sharp

I have the same seats but have the brackets/sliders for a 2nd Gen 4Runner and I dont know if it would fit directly on the supie?

I had also planned on getting black or dark gray carpeting to complement my current blk exterior.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I'd really like to know how this holds up under use. From what I understand about dyes, only natural fibers (cotton, wool, etc) will actually absorb dye. Synthetics, like our carpet, are essentially painted, with the dye sitting on top of the fiber, and usually this will wear poorly.

closetnerd

35% Biotic
Feb 15, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
GrimJack;1595472 said:
I'd really like to know how this holds up under use. From what I understand about dyes, only natural fibers (cotton, wool, etc) will actually absorb dye. Synthetics, like our carpet, are essentially painted, with the dye sitting on top of the fiber, and usually this will wear poorly.

This is true, and to add a note, if you work in a kitchen or shop where your shoes get filthy with chemicals such as degreaser, you have a chance of tracking the dye.

While in my personal opinion it looks better than what you had to start with, something to consider is the maintenance that might be called for in the future.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
I don't work with any such chemicals. If I have to pullte carpets out every few years and go over it with a can I'm not fussed, it's something I have considered. Also the mats offer protection, my feet aren't actually touching the carpet at all.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Looks awesome!
I'll have to do this someday, What product did you use?
Cool seats too, what model? Did you have to make custom brackets?

Sam

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
87M-GTE;1595720 said:
Looks awesome!
I'll have to do this someday, What product did you use?
Cool seats too, what model? Did you have to make custom brackets?

Sam

Those are the Recaro seats that came with the Supra... as long as you lived in a country with right hand drive and bought the right model. :) So, obviously, no custom brackets.