Dual Piston Front Brakes = Change in Bias on an ABS Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
IJ.;1345437 said:
<Non ABS Car with a balanced FULL set of AP 4 piston calipers on Mk4TT DBA Rotors and if I had the room for the parts and the wheel speed sensors I'd have ABS in a flash.

Been driving performance cars for 30+ years an am an ok peddler but I do get it wrong from time to time and in those situations ABS would be a huge help.

Personally I don't get the BBK on the front only as a Mk3 chassis set up correctly will put a huge load on the rears (I've had mine Blue and smoking after a hard run through my test course)
Agreed IJ, I did it mainly to allow more heat to be soaked up in the front rotors. My stock breaks could lock up all 4's no problem, it's just that they would overheat the rotors after a few sessions.

T701jz;1345440 said:
lol...someone prolly got a detention after school with that comments.

Zazzn: any thing that you change on a calibrated system will need re-calibrating; solenoid, valve, line...etc.

That's the fun of upgrading...you get to do your own R&D.

Like JDUB said-Just remove the ABS ...you will not be able to achieve threshold breaking with it installed. You are still going to have problems with the rear if you do not upgrade to a similar system as the front.
We'll I'll upgrade the rear if that's what it takes but Doward we are waiting on you buddy.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
2 stops from 200+ Kph would kill my stock Rotors, I got 55 stops on the test track before I cooked up the current set up and boiled the fluid, changed it to RBF600 and installed DBA 5000's on the front in place of the 4000's I had on it previously and have noticed they run MUCH cooler but didn't get a chance to do the track again before I took it off the road.

I did a few hard 200+ to 50 in a row and they're fine and haven't changed the heat paint at all.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Zazzn;1345455 said:
We'll I'll upgrade the rear if that's what it takes but Doward we are waiting on you buddy.

MK4 rears are a relatively cheap, easy upgrade for the rear.

(I say easy assuming you have access to a machine shop to make some simple inserts)

Zazzn

Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
So you like the DBA's with the paw pattern? Any suggestions IJ on fixing my solution other then abs? That leaves me to the valve right?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
The DBA's are great rotors just a bit EXE

In order that I'd do it.

Fix ABS

Bigger rears to get the balance back to where it should be

Messing with a Prop valve isn't going to change anything as they work by reducing rear pressure and this is the exact opposite of what you need.

Zazzn

Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
IJ, wouldn't the prop valve resolve 2 issues that I now face?

#1 pedal travel before locking the front is about 1/3 of what it used to be
#2 could send less pressure to the front so that #1 it locks later, and #2 allows the rears to provide more braking force before they lock?

I agree ABS will be a good fix when I get around to it...

Adam, what inserts? I just upgraded my mk4 to mk4 tt calipers form the NA ones that come on the JDM cars.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Prop valve works by reducing the force to the rear not the front, it shouldn't have any effect on the front circuit.

Sounds more like a mismatch between the Master cylinder bore size and the Calliper piston size and pedal effort should be close to stock.

I haven't done the math for a Mk3 and just based my current system on a "guesstimate".

Zazzn

Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
Is anyone with this kit finding the same results as me?

Can you explain how to calculate the correct sizing or stock sizing vs the PBR's?

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
I would think it's dependant on a ratio of pressure to various pistons. Like take the size of the brake master cylinder piston compared to the size of the front/rear/left/right calipers. It would also change depending on the number of pistons per caliper, like the stock fronts are a large single piston, and the new Doward calipers are 4 (?).

Edit: check this out, might be helpful: http://tceperformanceproducts.com/brake_bias_calculator.html

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Zazzn;1345476 said:
IJ, wouldn't the prop valve resolve 2 issues that I now face?

#1 pedal travel before locking the front is about 1/3 of what it used to be
#2 could send less pressure to the front so that #1 it locks later, and #2 allows the rears to provide more braking force before they lock?

I agree ABS will be a good fix when I get around to it...

Adam, what inserts? I just upgraded my mk4 to mk4 tt calipers form the NA ones that come on the JDM cars.

these (plus threaded holes for the appropriate bolts)
p1345664_1.jpg

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
For your interest, the previous owner of my '87 removed the ABS. I swapped in Mk4 TT rears at the same time as the Doward kit so I never noticed such a huge difference in Bias. In fact, under extreme braking, my TT rears will begin to lock before the fronts do(even with 295 rears), but the bias feels close to balanced. I will just be very careful until I either install a prop valve or get 14" fronts later on.

I picked up an old jakespeed bolt-on kit for my rears. The inserts are the little parts that the bolts go into. The rotor also needs a shim. Adampecush had these parts custom machined for his install so Eric you might have to do the same if you don't want to drill out your Mk3 hubs for the larger Mk4 bolts.
brakes 045.jpg

brakes 044.jpg

brakes 049.jpg

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
IJ.;1345437 said:
Personally I don't get the BBK on the front only as a Mk3 chassis set up correctly will put a huge load on the rears (I've had mine Blue and smoking after a hard run through my test course)

I had the same results, cracked one of my rear rotors and they turned nice and blue in spots lol.

Zazzn- I have these brakes, and have put the most miles on them, they are no where near the numbers you pulled out of your ass, I DO HAVE THIS KIT, and I HAVE DRIVEN ON THESE BRAKES, so stop trying give jdub a hard time he is one of if not the most knowledgeable person on this board, that's why your asking the questions and he's HELPING with an answer or solution.

Zazzn

Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
7mBoost - So what numbers are they? Exactly the same numbers I pulled out of my ass. Lets resolve this so read down....

I'm not here to bash on JDUB or anyone else and I don't believe I've done so. Stop acting as if I have. I've been more then amicable to everyone! JDUB got me a little razzed when he was calling my fix a &#8220;ghetto&#8221;. While IMO his suggestion of fixing the ABS would mask the problem not resolve the problem, which I believe was the ghetto fix.

THANK YOU JDUB I appreciate the insightful input, sorry if you feel offended. I did NOT START THIS THREAD TO BASH ANYONE especially you.

I want to find a solution to the problem that has been created by upgrading my front breaks only. This is one of them hidden "bugs" that you find with may upgrades which people do not talk about very often.

I just got off the phone with Steve Jarvis form supraforums, we talked for about 4 hours! Initially I called him for his expertise on wheel fitment on the mk4 for road racing and we some how got talking about breaks.

He informed me that he did a BBK on his MK4 on the front only and ended up with worse stopping distances and challenged me to try a test with my new BBK vs a stock system to do a full stop form 60MPH and assured me the stock system would stop sooner. He then upgraded to the Rotorex 14" all around and could not believe how much difference it made.

He completely agrees with me that just upgrading the fronts will cause you problems because of the breaking bias. Also a prop valve will not work in my case as IJ has said. He also agrees that ABS would just band aid the situation.

If you don't know who Steve is check this out
http://www.geocities.com/steve_jarvis_me/
He's an Instructor at VIR and he's done plenty to his supra to make it go fast around the track.

So lets end this squabbling about numbers out of ass controversy. Can someone who measure the stock calipers break piston diameter since I'm not in the same city as my mk3.

I need the diameter of the mk3 front piston, and the same for the rear caliper piston.

I will then be able to calculate the change that has occurred and we can see just how much this has changed the dynamics of the car.

AGAIN i'm not bashing anything or anyone here just want my upgrade to actually perform like an upgrade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.