Driving shoes

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
What does everyone wear for serious driving?

I have a beat up pair of DCs that flex something wonderful, and my Converse that are, well, canvas over a thin rubber sole. The crew over at the kart track (gotta race something while the supra's under the knife) keep telling me that I should look into a good pair of racing shoes to better feel the track through the pedals...anyone taken the plunge on that one? How do they feel compared to normal street shoes?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I have 3 good pairs of shoes for driving:

-A pair of old low-top Vans that I've had since freshman year of high school. Nothing fancy, fairly thin soles, comfortable, but loose.

-High top Chucks. Black and white, weigh about 4oz each, they're great, and offer plenty of grip and pedal work.

-Sparco pit crew shoes. My girlfriend bought these for me last Christmas. Literally feels like you're in bare feet with gecko-like grip on the bottom. Feel like I could climb walls with these things, they're pretty awesome. Not as comfortable as the other two, but they're not broken in yet, and I only use them for playing GT5. :p

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I've been wearing Puma Speed Cats for about 5 years or so. They're pretty comfortable and have thin soles.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
shaeff;1773334 said:
I've been wearing Puma Speed Cats for about 5 years or so. They're pretty comfortable and have thin soles.

I also wear pumas. I think that they are comfortable, and better to drive in than running shoes or so because like shaeff said, they have thin soles.

slightly_red_MA70

Holy S*** I own a Racecar
Jan 24, 2009
Canada
Pumas for me aswell. Deffinetly the best IMO. I wear my steel toes to and from work and hate driving with them on, seems like I cant 'feel' the pedals or what the car is doing. Pumas with their thin soles let me feel what the car is doing better lol

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
I have a pair of these and am very happy with them:

sparco_pitline_blue-white_z4.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
slightly_red_MA70;1773705 said:
Pumas for me aswell. Deffinetly the best IMO. I wear my steel toes to and from work and hate driving with them on, seems like I cant 'feel' the pedals or what the car is doing. Pumas with their thin soles let me feel what the car is doing better lol
It takes me a bit to get used to driving when I do it with my boots on. Not used to the fact that my contact with the pedal is 1/2" further away from my foot than normal, and throttle inputs tend to increase for a short bit until I get the feel for them again. :p

KevinM;1773741 said:
I have a pair of these and am very happy with them:
Kevin, those are the same shoes my girlfriend bought for me last year, except mine are all black with white "S" logos on the toes.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Silver MK3;1773424 said:
I also wear pumas. I think that they are comfortable, and better to drive in than running shoes or so because like shaeff said, they have thin soles.
Right on. Unless some of these guys are wearing sprinting shoes (really thin soles), they're not ideal for me.

slightly_red_MA70;1773705 said:

I also wear steel toes for work. I keep them in the trunk of my M3 and just slip them on when I get to work. It just doesn't feel right without my Pumas on.

What shoes are those that Kevin M's got?

Edit, nevermind, I see on the sole it says Sparco. :)

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Yeah, I have to wear lineman boots for my job...steel toe, steel shank, and a 1" heel that clears my gaffs...damn things weigh like 8lbs each. Driving with those on feels like throwing bricks at pedals and hoping it does what you want it to.

Thanks for the responses...I was curious if there was a serious difference between something with a thin sole like my Chucks and the actual race shoe like Sparco makes.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
6.jpg

I personally like these... just the fact the heel was made for a firewall/floorboard meeting place...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
emiliorescigno;1776657 said:
I've got to try it.
Those are awesome Emilio... might have to track down a pair of those, ninja feet! Gotta wonder though, shoes vary in size from brand to brand, but FEET? Everybody has different sized feet. Hell, I'm sure not everybody has the same size feet left and right on their own legs. Wonder how well they fit?

Bleakvoid;1776627 said:
Thanks for the responses...I was curious if there was a serious difference between something with a thin sole like my Chucks and the actual race shoe like Sparco makes.
In my experience with both? Not really. The Sparcos are comfortable to drive with, but for normal day to day and walking in general, I'd go with the Chucks. Walked about 4 miles up and down the Vegas strip last year in my Chucks, my feet weren't particularly comfortable at the end of it, but I shudder to think what that would have been like in the Sparcos...

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
te72;1776757 said:
Those are awesome Emilio... might have to track down a pair of those, ninja feet! Gotta wonder though, shoes vary in size from brand to brand, but FEET? Everybody has different sized feet. Hell, I'm sure not everybody has the same size feet left and right on their own legs. Wonder how well they fit?

I've tried on a pair. They're made to fit most people. I don't ever walk barefoot so I hated them. New Balance does have a minimalist shoe with a Vibram sole. I tried that one on and it felt amazing.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Hmm... might be worth looking into. Pretty much only walk barefoot around the house, and depending on the size of your bugs, that may not even be a good idea. :p