Driving expectations with a new 154

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
Wondering what if any difference I can expect by having switched from a W58 to an R154. I have a Bpu 1jz and a 4:30 NA rear end. I notice the gear ratios are different between the trannys. I have also heard that the R154 is more knotchy,but what I am curious about is power and drivability .

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You pretty much have it spot on. Gear ratios are a bit different and the shifter isn't as smooth. Clutch may feel different as you went to a push to pull system.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I recommend Redline MT-90 synthetic transmission oil. It made my transmission shift way faster and smoother.
And ya, from my knowledge, it would not shift as fast as the W58 but should handle more abuse. Marlin Crawler has good upgrades for the R154.

Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
I have a R154 with the 4.30 rear and I absolutely love it. r154 isnt as smooth as the W58 but like mentioned above the marlin crawler bushings/MT90 and a nice heavy shift knob its not that bad. try driving a 5.0 mustang T5. dear lord that trans was terrible

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
You guys should try an old Muncie M-22 rock crusher... I had one in my old Chevelle SS. Makes the R-154 feel like a hot knife going through butter. Noisy as hell too... Sounded like a supercharger.

Super tight ratio tranny with way too tall 1st gear. Needed a 4.56 rear to get moving well with it and it revved the living hell out of that old V8 on the highway.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
LOL I had an M-22 ;)

Kids don't know just how good cars are now compared to "The Good Old Days"

4 wheel non boosted Drum Brakes, King Pin front ends with Recirc Ball non Power Steering, Vacuum Wipers, Single Spinner Diffs, Points Distributors that never did the same thing 2 days running and maybe if you were "good" 200wrhp.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Painfully true. I'm thankful to not have all of those things, and instead have EFI, wasted spark, IRS, etc.

As for the 154, I know everyone says theyre notchy blah blah blah, but I think thats just for older/abused ones, as mine has always been buttery smooth. Long throws, yes, but otherwise a very pleasant experience.

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
I switched from a W58 to a R154 and yes the shifting does feel a bit more "solid" I think would be a good way to put it. My 1J/R154 set had around 100K KMs on it so the tranny was in relatively good condition. Try and get a short shifter of somekind (aka C's, S3, Nashman) and it'll be amazing. Getting used to the notchy characteristic of the tranny will take no time whatsoever. I personally like it cause you can actually tell when you've hit a gear, compared to the W58 stupidly smooth shifting.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Supracentral;1873510 said:
You guys should try an old Muncie M-22 rock crusher... I had one in my old Chevelle SS. Makes the R-154 feel like a hot knife going through butter. Noisy as hell too... Sounded like a supercharger.

Super tight ratio tranny with way too tall 1st gear. Needed a 4.56 rear to get moving well with it and it revved the living hell out of that old V8 on the highway.
My dad had a 1970 LS6 SS Chevelle with that setup once upon a few decades ago. Picked it up for $800, bored the motor out a bit, then wrapped it around a pole at 17 from being drunk and dumb enough to drive. Fast forward 25 years when those cars are selling for upwards of 6 figures (I remember a couple exceptional examples hitting over 200k), and yeah... I kinda want to smack him for that. :p

Never understood the point of having a really tall 1st gear. So you don't have to shift for the 0-60 run and they can advertise good times?

IJ.;1873536 said:
LOL I had an M-22 ;)

Kids don't know just how good cars are now compared to "The Good Old Days"

4 wheel non boosted Drum Brakes, King Pin front ends with Recirc Ball non Power Steering, Vacuum Wipers, Single Spinner Diffs, Points Distributors that never did the same thing 2 days running and maybe if you were "good" 200wrhp.
Drove a 1974 Ford Maverick that a buddy of mine had as his first car many moons ago. Was pretty much equipped as you mention. Cool as it was (it was so different from my POS Cavalier), it isn't exactly something I would have wanted to have to live with...

Anyway, to pitch in my $0.02, I have a car with the W58, and a car with the R154. The W58 has a lot of miles (~225k ish), where the R154 has about 75k ish, they shift fairly similar to be honest. Now, a higher mileage R154, going to be a bit to get used to. I would rate the transmissions I've driven as such:

-Miata
-T56 in the F-body
-Good R154
-W58 / FC RX7
-Bad R154
-whatever is in the 2000's era Tacomas
-any old Chevy pickup (my brother and I call it "fishing" when shifting)
-anything with a crash box *shudder*