dr jonez boost controller question

supra_fast

FN Fast
May 13, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ok im new to this type of stuff and i just got the mbc from the dr. now he gave me some diagrams from paint but i dont under stand them just because i have no idea what the wastegate actully looks like on my car or where it is. now my question is, is there someone out there that has a diagram on how to do this with real pics. or could someone show me a diagram or a anctull pic of where the wastegate is and how to install this thing.

any help at all would be apretiated.

thanks travis

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I don't have any pictures and I don't know how to pull them from another site, but your wastegate is on your turbo. It's mounted on the bottom front of your turbo. It's round about 2" in diameter. Well that describes mine. Yours may be different, because mine isn't stock. This may not help, but don't worry because the calvary will arrive shortly...........GL

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
What else is done to your car?

At this point, from reading your post, I would recommend against trying to install a MBC.

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
supra_fast, Sir. Take no offense to what I say but I just want to make sure you understand what you are doing. From your post, you are not aware of what your wastegate is...Judging from this, you are probably not too familiar with your motor. That is probably the number one biggest mistake someone can do with a turbocharged motor is crank up the boost. I've seen waaay to many people blow up their motor, BHG or plain out mess something up on their car. Be advised of the consequences of turning up the boost. With that being said, My MBC goes in between my Turbo and my Wastegate. ;)

sleepersupra

i hate this car
Nov 5, 2005
Broken Arrow, Ok
Jspec7m88 said:
supra_fast, Sir. Take no offense to what I say but I just want to make sure you understand what you are doing. From your post, you are not aware of what your wastegate is...Judging from this, you are probably not too familiar with your motor. That is probably the number one biggest mistake someone can do with a turbocharged motor is crank up the boost. I've seen waaay to many people blow up their motor, BHG or plain out mess something up on their car. Be advised of the consequences of turning up the boost. With that being said, My MBC goes in between my Turbo and my Wastegate. ;)

this is one of the most interesting pics i've seen.... very creative....

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Hey, what can I say? I am an artist...

Errr...wait. Interesting? Creative? That's good, right?

:ugh2:

LOL

I drew it in Paint in like 30 seconds, hehe.:icon_surp

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
my601ct2625og.jpg

lol great picture. red bull gives you wiiiiiings ;)

but yep that gets the point across.

Disced

Pie + NYQuil = FTW
Apr 5, 2005
Edmonds, Wa
is there a max. length the hose should be from turbo>MBC>WG?

I was told to keep it as short as possible, 4 inches or less on each side.

What is everyone's input on this?

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Yes, most definately, the shorter the better. I've got mine running around my accordian pipe and sits just on the outer side of the pipe where I can adjust it very easily. If it is too long, in cases, you will create some God-aweful lag. ;)

*EDIT*: Trust me. My original idea was to run the lines into my cockpit and mount it onto my dash. :nono:...Don't do it.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
I used 2 different size pieces of rubber tubing and a step down fitting on mine. it sits right at the accordion hose for easy adjustment,and currently i am at 12 psi.
I would suggest trial fitting all the parts first.
Connect the hoses to the MBC.
Cut to length for adjustability.
Remove all crap that might get in the way like the accordion hose.
Fit the hoses to the compressor housing,then to the wastegate diaphram.
As long as the hoses fit nice and snug they should be secure.
Allow for at least 1-1.5" of tubing on the ports.
Put it all back together and go for a spin.
I did my increases by half a turn,it increased the psi like about 1-2 pounds per turn.

supra_fast

FN Fast
May 13, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
i have a 1.4 mm hg. 3 inch exhust turbo back, hks bov, dual electric fan, all new cooling system from rad to water pump and everythink inbetween. i do no a little aboout the 7m. iv been reading and trying to learn as much as i can. iv only had the mk3 for 2 or 3 months. i love the car its awsome. i want to put my psi to about 13. almost 2 psi befor the fuel cut.

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
fuel cut (which actually cuts spark from what I understand) might hit around 11. It varies with the car, the temperature, humidity, how far the sun is from the earth, where the moons at in the sky...etc (j/k) fuel cut will change, you might hit it at 10 and you might hit it at 15.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Jspec7m88 said:
Yes, most definately, the shorter the better. I've got mine running around my accordian pipe and sits just on the outer side of the pipe where I can adjust it very easily. If it is too long, in cases, you will create some God-aweful lag. ;)

no, it won't create lag. if anything, it would create FASTER spool time because it would be delaying the wastegate from opening longer.

think of it this way. take a regular drinking straw. tape a small flap of paper on the end of it, and blow through it. the paper opens fast, right? that's how the wastegate acts with a short vacuum line.

now take 20 straws and do the same thing. you might not be able to tell EXACTLY, but the flap of paper (wastegate) WILL take longer to open. the longer the wastegate takes to open, the faster boost is built. this is the principle behind electronic boost controllers. they keep the wastegate shut until the desired boost is reached, then the wastegate "snaps" open. so you're building boost without any loss of boost until your max is reached. :)

however, you would want to make sure you're not getting any boost creep issues with a longer vacuum line. ;)

-shaeff

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
boost creep is when your boost creeps from one number up to another. say, if you have the MBC set for 10psi, and it slowly increases to 13psi. that's boost creep.

turbo lag is when the turbo takes a long time to spool to the point of creating positive manifold pressure. say, if a turbo doesn't create positive pressure until 5000 rpm, that's turbo lag. (well, relatively speaking- in terms of our stock redline, that's a lot of lag)

-shaeff

Disced

Pie + NYQuil = FTW
Apr 5, 2005
Edmonds, Wa
Thanks shaeff; i'm going to go and extend my MBC farther.. I have had it right next to the exh. mani thinking I had to have it that short.. :rofl:

Trying to adjust that son of a B**** when the car was hot hurt like a mofo; in most cases I had to wrap my hand in a towel.. And all the while thinking to myself.. Man what supra owners must go through w/ MBC's... NO wonder everyone wants Electric ones. :rofl:

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Thank god I kept my hoses, then. I'll run them through the firewall. :)

I understand what turbo lag is. If boost creep is "creeping" UP in boost...then what is it when it goes from high to low? ie: 15psi to 11psi.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
That would be boost falling. I don't know what the medical term for it is.........;) ........but my stock turbo did it. It would peak at 11 psi, but fall rapidly to 9 psi. Now I have a garrett to4e and it will hold it's boost as long as I want it to. Good luck with yours............lol

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
An MBC can be a bit like the Pin in a Hand Grenade! ;)

Start small and work your way up in 1psi increments making sure you have stable boost at each step.

Monitor coolant along the way as well as this will be the first indicator something isn't happy.