Do you believe the Supra (MK3) will become a collectors car over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJ2009

Formerly almaj2006
Feb 3, 2006
Northern Virginia
Hey,
I was just wondering with mostly all of our members having the same goal; fixing and restoring our Supras, do you all ever think they will one day become a sought after collectors car? I always wanted to know if people think that Japanese cars will ever be worth something one day. I just wanted to see what the general consensus from everyone is.

fool'ssupra

Building It
Sep 14, 2008
Maryland
Just my two cents' worth, but I think the Supra will be at best a boutique car, one that appeals to a very small market segment. Don't get me wrong, I'm a middle-aged American male and I love my Supra. That said, other than a few movies, it's never really gotten much press. Outside of people into high performance street cars, most people have never heard of it. Ask someone what a Jag is, and everyone goes, oohhhh, yeahhhh!

googooflexy

Feb 14, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
www.cardomain.com
Unfortunately, the 80s and early 90s wasn't the most cherished era for the car industry. I doubt any car will have lasting value from that era. But who knows...the Supra is fairly iconic. I think its value will depend on whether or not Toyota decides to continue the Supra line and make it more popular.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Hell, I'd love it to become a collector's car but as fool'ssupra said there's not many people who know about them and what they're capable of other than their owners. And its not as if they're especially rare either like the muscle cars are. And the whole collectors thing is mostly a European and American sort of thing so its rare for them to see something from the Asian market appealing as being timeless or etc.

I could possibly see the mk4 becoming somewhat of a collectors item just because of all the attention its been getting in video games and the F&F. But its still far off.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
fool'ssupra;1226324 said:
Just my two cents' worth, but I think the Supra will be at best a boutique car, one that appeals to a very small market segment. Don't get me wrong, I'm a middle-aged American male and I love my Supra. That said, other than a few movies, it's never really gotten much press. Outside of people into high performance street cars, most people have never heard of it. Ask someone what a Jag is, and everyone goes, oohhhh, yeahhhh!

Hmm, Iono... Seems to me that every time I tell someone I drive a supra they dont ask whts that? but, what year is it?... I think alot of people other then performnce enthusiast's know what a supra is mainly due to that one movie. But they just dont know what an mk3 or mk2 looks like.

GotBoost?

I do
Nov 25, 2005
By My Computer
Built by the hundreds of thousands, modded by most, treated like dirt and chopped up by a lot, maybe only some pristine, 100&#37; factory original example with < 1K miles would be found at an auction in 50 years, and then go for peanuts (relatively speaking). So I say a Supra has poor future collector's value. But who knows the future? My $0.02

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Sside;1226333 said:
Hmm, Iono... Seems to me that every time I tell someone I drive a supra they dont ask whts that? but, what year is it?... I think alot of people other then performnce enthusiast's know what a supra is mainly due to that one movie. But they just dont know what an mk3 or mk2 looks like.
I hate that whenever some kid asks what kind of car I have and I say supra they're like OH COOL WHAT YEAR IS IT! Then I say 88 they're like oh..... :3d_frown: no respect.

I do get pulled off to the side often by middle aged dudes who actually know what kinda car I have, even in the piss poor state its in now :nono:

Its a car that not a whole lot know about but those who do usually love it.

pparrigo

India Delta OneZero Tango
Feb 12, 2008
WNY
I can't say that I see it becoming a true collectors item along with such icons as a hemi 'cuda or mercedes 300sl etc., but I don't see it fading into obscurity either. Aside from the small number of females I know who aren't into cars, everyone I mention the Supra to knows, for the most part, what it is. As far as respect vs. the Mk4, I would say that it doesn't get less respect, only a different type.

I'm not bashing on the Mk4, but the Mk3 has more universally appealing aesthetics. The look of a stereotypical Japanese car, of which the Mk4 is a prime example, is a love or hate look. The Mk3, on the other hand, was designed in the same era that gave the world some of the first real supercars and has some of the same design cues that made those 80s supercars classics. A clean and shiny Mk3 will always turn heads no matter what, and that, to me, makes it a collector's car.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
I get stopped by older people (by older I mean than myself), and they say "nice Supra" or "I remember when those were new". Very few younger people know that an MK3 is a Supra unless you show them or educate them.

The MK3 probably won't become a collector's car, because the majority of them out there have been modded to hell. There are few to no MK3's that are completely bone stock (aside from general maintenance).

The only MK3 that I can see as becoming a collector's car would be a legal, stateside (in US) JZA70 that is completely stock and in good to great condition. And by JZA70 I don't mean an MA70 with a 1JZ swap, I mean the authentic thing from Japan. RHD, digi-dash, recaros, etc. Numbers matching.

Three3Sport

Jun 8, 2008
OH
Maybe it wont have the attention and collector item value like the Toyota 2000

GT old school car, since that was probably the car that started it all and is like

6 figures money wise atm. But who knows, only time will tell. It would be nice if

the MK3 Supra would be an icon in the future though :naughty:

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
Sside;1226333 said:

Not many people knew about supras until "The Fast and the Furious" movie came around....then all of a sudden everyone wanted one.

I think the supra could become a colectors car in the next decades or so.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Canuckrz;1226351 said:
I hate that whenever some kid asks what kind of car I have and I say supra they're like OH COOL WHAT YEAR IS IT! Then I say 88 they're like oh..... :3d_frown: no respect.

I do get pulled off to the side often by middle aged dudes who actually know what kinda car I have, even in the piss poor state its in now :nono:

Its a car that not a whole lot know about but those who do usually love it.

Ha! lol... I got that alot... I even had one dude at my job drag me out to the parking to see my car and then say.... "Why dont you just get a newer car and mod that" I asked, what is on your mind... He said.. "I used to have a civic with everything you could think of done to it, you should look into a civic 2 door"... I didnt feel like arguing with him so I just said nah, I love this car way too much... This same dude wanted to race me in a newer Miata two months later. I said NAH, I love my car way too much to spend my time and Gas money on that... And I received alot of hate at my Job for my car, Some guy said if it aint the car from Fast and The Furious that it was a waste of time. Anyways, My car actually is not a beat up bucket... I always belived it to be a nice supra so alot of comments did make me feel bad...

And this is her, collector's item or not I love her....
p1226444_1.jpg

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Sside;1226444 said:
Ha! lol... I got that alot... I even had one dude at my job drag me out to the parking to see my car and then say.... "Why dont you just get a newer car and mod that" I asked, what is on your mind... He said.. "I used to have a civic with everything you could think of done to it, you should look into a civic 2 door"... I didnt feel like arguing with him so I just said nah, I love this car way too much... This same dude wanted to race me in a newer Miata two months later. I said NAH, I love my car way too much to spend my time and Gas money on that... And I received alot of hate at my Job for my car, Some guy said if it aint the car from Fast and The Furious that it was a waste of time. Anyways, My car actually is not a beat up bucket... I always belived it to be a nice supra so alot of comments did make me feel bad...
That is just completely unacceptable.... :nono:
picard-facepalm

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
As for it being a collector's car in the future, I say maybe. But to me, I always seem to have people like my car when I show it to them, not that I even go out of my way to show them what it is or what it does. Of course I suppose the people I hang out with somewhat effects that doesn't it?

On a side note, a late 80's Corvette with an electronically adjusted suspension (that was the only special thing I believe) went on barrett-jackson the other night for like $120,000 something, mk3s really don't get any respect do they?

EthanMKIII

Nov 5, 2008
Vancouver
I seriously doubt that any cheaper sports car will become a collector. Look at the mid 80's 5.0L Stangs and 350 Camaros in fifty years do u see those cars worth anything? Probly not unless there bone stock and perfectly mint with low miles. Collector cars have to rare to have any real value. The fact is that any mid 80s sport car was mass produced and therefore are very easy to come by. To be something of value u got to be special.

maac0953

mike
Jul 21, 2008
orlando
idk.maybe 25-30 years from now our generation and maybe alittle younger gen will like the modded jap cars that are rare.like 1or 2j swapped mk3's.we will find out 25 years from now if our cars are even still on the road.by then there will be no more motors to swapp like 1,2j's. kids will be swapping some kinda of billion gigawat hybrid motor in there camerys.lol

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
the only car i see from the 80's being a collector car is a GN. they already cost 2 and 3times what a decent mkiii cost.

KJSupra

Feb 10, 2008
So.CA
I think the US models won't have much of a good collector's value unless it's bone stock. In Japan however, the Turbo-A models are still quite expensive because they're rare. So I think Turbo-A will be worth a lot more in the future.

BTW, I hate Fast&Furious series with passion... That freakin' movie bred people who willingly put giant wings on their Honda Accord and paint their cars neon-green. I also hate it when stupid American kids ask me if I put NOS in my car like it's supposed to be a F&F car. Sorry it's off tangent.

Status
Not open for further replies.