DIY: R-12 to R-134a Conversion (How To)

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
I paid JDMMA70 (Derek) to fix the A/C system on my 1989 Turbo Supra this past weekend. My A/C has not functioned in several years, it's so hot and humid here in Houston, Texas I had just decided not to drive my MK3 during the summer months. I finally broke down this year and hired him to do the job after no one at Toyota and no mechanics I knew would work on the system. Let me tell you... Best investment I've done in a very long time on this vehicle! I have fallen back in love with my Supra since I can now drive it whenever I want no matter what the weather is doing here in Texas! He charges a very reasonable rate for his service and he is very profession and has all the tool for the job!

What he did:
Replaced ALL O-rings on my A/C system, Replaced the expansion valve and dryer with OEM Denso parts from Japan, he oil charged my compressor/system +dye and vacuum tested my system for over an hour with his pump. I retained my R-12 system so he charged the system with 2 cans of my freeze-12. Turns out I had some electrical issues also so he ended up fixing those as well.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

In the end I have ZERO leaks in my system and it is colder than my 2010 IS350 and my 2012 FJ cruiser A/C system. That's mainly because it's still R-12! Anyways... Enough ranting I just wanted to let everyone know this guy is the real deal when it comes to fixing A/C systems! He does superior work with attention to detail and I couldn't be happier!

sm_photo_missing.jpg

This is the temp coming out of my vents right after the repairs. About 45 degrees F and that is with no air to the condenser. When I drove home I froze! I'd be willing to bet it got into the upper 30's coming out of the vent! R-12 FTMFW

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Now I am thinking about staying with R12 lol but R134 is so much more convenient to get. I am waiting on the rest of my parts to arrive early this week before I start replacing them then finally recharging the system. How exactly do you replace all of the O rings? Is it just for the components like the dryer, compressor, etc or is it also in the AC lines?

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
All the components plus the AC Lines. Personally I wouldnt stay with R12 mainly the cost, and if youre unsure if the system has issues or not. Other wise youre going to be wasting money. You can get the same performance if you get a Parallel flow condenser. I dont know how well it will work with the factory unit.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I have the parallel flow condenser sitting in my room, I replaced my fan speed resistor module, and I have the Santech green O ring kit. I am just waiting for my dryer, expansion valve, and front main seal to come in. I do want to replace everything especially the seals then take it to my mechanic to let him take care of evacuating and recharging stuff.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Yeah its not hard i replaced every seal in the guide you can follow it. Just make sure to lube the o rings.

57trimMKIII

Texas Supras' Slowest
Jul 14, 2010
DFW, TX
JDMMA70;1927530 said:
I dont know how well it will work with the factory unit.

My factory condenser works just fine, I did the R-134A conversion on my car 2 years ago.

However, Derek tells me I may have a bad resistor - he knows his shit when it comes to these cars!

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Nice work man. Not sure if you mean R12 or freeze 12 Blue, they are two completely different refrigerants. Highly recommend you do some research on freeze 12 before using it, I bet if you do research it you wouldn't use it.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
CyFi6;1927535 said:
Nice work man. Not sure if you mean R12 or freeze 12 Blue, they are two completely different refrigerants. Highly recommend you do some research on freeze 12 before using it, I bet if you do research it you wouldn't use it.

I used Ester Oil in since its got R134 in it anyways. Shouldnt cause any issues in the future I figure from my research about it.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
ill be replacing most of my system tomorrow. i think insulating the suction/low side will help with performance (condenser to dryer and dryer to evap), i found some type of insulating tape/wrap i plan to use. i dont have the extra cash for the new condenser right now so i plan on flushing it and pressure washing it out of the car to get it somewhat up to par for now...same goes for the evaporator. shooting for 40's or less out the vent when its high 90's outside.

thanks for all the tips guys, keep em coming!

57trimMKIII

Texas Supras' Slowest
Jul 14, 2010
DFW, TX
Karma (n):

Before I left work tonight, I took a pic of my climate control so I could send it to Derek saying "still blowing cold!"

I shifted into drive, and the belt started SCREAMING! Moments later the noise stopped, as I ran over something. At this point I'm thinking "great, it threw the belt." I turned the A/C off and drove home where I could access the damage. Well it turns out whenever I shifted into drive, the belt was screaming (as it was being burned away) because my compressor had locked up...

So, who else is ready for a hot summer without A/C? :sarcasm:

Unless me and the mad scientist can fix it by then, of course.

57trimMKIII

Texas Supras' Slowest
Jul 14, 2010
DFW, TX
jetjock;1929138 said:
You mean like post #73?

I wasn't around too see the first 5 years of your posts, but if they've all been like this I'm clearly not missing anything.

Those medals look nice, but "Grumpy Old Man" is the only thing I've seen. You sir, are a douche.

Now before I derail this thread any more, let's get it back on track...

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
57trimMKIII;1929134 said:
For a "Supramania Elite," you never seem to be much help.

I appreciate the humor he brings. He gives smartass answers to dumbass questions. If you get a smartass remark it's time to re evaluate your question...

If you ask a good thorough question you're likely to get a free, expert piece of advice.

So I say douche on JJ. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Tomorrow I plan on installing my condenser, dryer, expansion valve, and the service port valves. Can it be done in a day?