Dipstick popping out

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
So recently I noticed on my mums supra that her dipstick was popped, I'm guessing her crankcase pressure is building and causing it to pop. I'm gonna pull off the stock hosing to the intake and valve covers to make sure they're clean, engine has only done bout 80,000kms/50k miles since being rebuilt. Anything else you guys reckon I should check?

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
The only places that are going to have those here are machine shops, I guess I can organise it with my reconditioner at some point after I check the valve covers.

Cheers for that tip (I'm praying it's not rings, unfortunately I can't guarantee anything on the engine as I didn't build the block :/)

Novadude

Jul 21, 2013
Murfreesboro, TN, United States
If it is the rings it is slightly possible that they are fine just somehow the gaps lined up allowing the combustion gasses to pass by, although it still requires a teardown :-\ some autozones have leakdown guages tou can rent if you have a compressor. If so I can post a rundown on how to use it if you dont already know.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Does the dipstick fit snugly? Mine was old and the part at the top that used to be rubber turned into hard plastic, and it would push out slightly. I replaced it and never had an issue again. If that is fine then clean all the PCV stuff, just because they rebuilt it doesn't mean they did this. Crankcase pressure from blowby is a possibility but that is worst case scenario, check the easy stuff first. If you see lots of oil in the intercooler piping that is another possible indication of blowby, though some oil is normal.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
All of a sudden is usually a broken ring land, slowly creeping out is just worn rings, comp or leakdown will tell the tale.

I used to build my 7M's quite "loose" so always had some blowby, I ran -10 lines from the valve covers and a real PCV valve to combat this, just had to replicate the setup for my current LSx powered toy.

Trent

Quietly Browsing
Oct 30, 2007
Austin TX
Mine would pop out from time to time on my last MK3 and it was because the damn catch can wasn't hooked up correctly by the previous owner. It had just enough of a kink in one of the hoses that it would allow too much pressure to build and pop the dipstick. Once I rerouted the lines and did it correctly, no more problems.

If she is on the factory PCV system, you might just check all those hoses and lines to make sure none are clogged.