Deck smoothness of a block and head from the factory

Suprafast0422

Nov 14, 2006
Maryland
I read somewhere that from the factory new, the block and head decks are smooth enough to put a MHG on. Now assuming its not warped and this is the first time the motor has been apart, if I were very careful in removing the old gasket material, could I put a MHG on?

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Hmm, which motor are we talking about? I am going to assume 7mgte. Even if there is no warping I would still get them machined to make sure because even factory/good condition motors can have imperfections in the surfaces. Plus, while it's apart you might as well. Do it once, Do it right and you won't have to re-pull the motor. Trust me on this one :biglaugh:

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
Suprafast0422;1149401 said:
I read somewhere that from the factory new, the block and head decks are smooth enough to put a MHG on. Now assuming its not warped and this is the first time the motor has been apart, if I were very careful in removing the old gasket material, could I put a MHG on?

IFFFFF that is true, those two words are the key factor...

Its not new anymore when its 16-22 years old with 100k+ miles...

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
IJ.;1149828 said:
That's strange as both my New head and Block were good enough to run a MHG on :)
Says the only guy we've ever seen buy new ones from Toyota, so pay attention.

There's no way you can get a MHG to seal on a surface that's been clamped together using a stock gasket. The machine work is absolutely required.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Nghty89;1149898 said:
lol Well, how many can say they bought it new from the factory? :sarcasm:

I believe IJ, jdub, Supracentral have bought a MKIII brand new. Could be wrong though. :dunno:

There are some around. Listen to them and you will make few mistakes.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Doesn't matter if they bought the MKIII new from the factory, the engine was assembled with the stock headgasket that WILL put grooves from the fire rings into the head...

IJ bought a brand new block and head grom Toyota unassembled, so he'd be the one to talk to...

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm a personal friend of Reg Reimer's here in Calgary and I know for a fact that he has had new heads and blocks in a unassembled and never before assebled states brand new and they did not all meet his approval for smooth enough. Some have been though.

A nice pic would clear everything up for all of us though I am sure.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Oh they are most definitely wonderful sources of info :icon_bigg (no joking here)

Well worth the wait for their minds to come back from that Alzheimer's state :sarcasm:

Just kidding guys! :biglaugh:

::Sorry for threadjacking::

jmanbball

Yellow Jacket
Apr 17, 2006
Hittin' the books at Tech
The assembled shortblock that I bought was brand new from toyota, and I could easily feel the machining grooves with my fingernails. I guess it all depends on how worn out the tools were when it was machined.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
jmanbball;1150242 said:
The assembled shortblock that I bought was brand new from toyota, and I could easily feel the machining grooves with my fingernails. I guess it all depends on how worn out the tools were when it was machined.

I gather that we're agreeing to disagree that the factories that churn out toyota's blocks don't have the consistency to reliably say "yes" or "no" to the question.

Thus, we could draw that conclusion that, generally speaking, mass production =/= high performance.

Suprafast0422

Nov 14, 2006
Maryland
Thanks for all the replies guys. sounded a tad fishy to me thats why i thought id ask :) didnt take into consideration what the fire rings do to the block surface though :D

to the machine shop i shall go :)

Cokedoctor

Slow Boost
Oct 29, 2007
Buffalo, NY
So I've been reading and searching, and i still haven't seen any values or pictures, what a properly decked block should look like. I got mine back, and it seems a bit rough. Pictures and/or specs would be great!

Cokedoctor

Slow Boost
Oct 29, 2007
Buffalo, NY
It doesn't catch, but u can feel mini ridges in the surface. Sort of like what you'd feel if you ran your finger across a peice of nylon.

EDIT: Some pictures:

p1153483_1.jpg

p1153483_2.jpg