deck lapping how to?

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
exactly where did you get your head lapping device from? It's time for the assembly of my block but I need to have it lapped first, so I need to get my hands on one.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Reign_Maker said:
Have someone do it for you... Arent those machines really exspensive to buy?

I'm asking the fuckin questions here, do you mind? (Full metal jacket reference :biglaugh: ) I thought it was a machined block of steel.

My machinist said that he can get it well smooth enough for MHG by putting on a fresh cutter on his deck machine & cut it super slow. It worked for my head when I fixed my BHG last year, but I don't want to take any chances.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
FINE, ask the questions buddy... Yeah, BUDDY, I called you BUDDY! lol

A guy that I subcontract for has a monster 69 drag camaro and we were talking about milling and lapping, and he wqas tellin me about this process that he uses that takes a LONG time he said, but it works the head and bloakc in figure 8's to give a really smooth surface, but its not like a mirror he said, its almost got a fuzzy look... I dunno though, he's a domestic guy, lol...

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Reign_Maker said:
FINE, ask the questions buddy... Yeah, BUDDY, I called you BUDDY! lol

A guy that I subcontract for has a monster 69 drag camaro and we were talking about milling and lapping, and he wqas tellin me about this process that he uses that takes a LONG time he said, but it works the head and bloakc in figure 8's to give a really smooth surface, but its not like a mirror he said, its almost got a fuzzy look... I dunno though, he's a domestic guy, lol...

My machinist has built three other motor for me & has done an excellent job on all of them. He says that the finish his cutter will leave will be more than smooth enough. I'm going to take his word for it.....:icon_conf

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Jake, tell me your joking.
Rak, search for lapping, and you should find a link to a reg reimer site that has all the info you need.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
IHI-RHC7 said:
Jake, tell me your joking.
Rak, search for lapping, and you should find a link to a reg reimer site that has all the info you need.

I've searched, only to find that the block & head need to be lapped, but not what to use to lap them with.

and yes, I'm certain Jake was joking. :biglaugh:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Rakka: Find a good shop with some modern new equipment that have a good operator sharp tooling and clean coolant and forget hand Lapping it's many hours work and while it may be smooth it won't be flat or true.

I'm going to get hammered here for saying this by people that have spent the time doing this but human physiology won't allow you to lap it flat/true and each change of direction will remove more material from that area.

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Ian, With proper "wax on- wax off" procedure, and hanging your elbows from a cherry picker, One can apply constant pressure, and never change direction.
;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
IHI-RHC7 said:
Ian, With proper "wax on- wax off" procedure, and hanging your elbows from a cherry picker, One can apply constant pressure, and never change direction.
;)
ROFLMAO Jake I think there's been waaaayyyy too much "wacks off" done in our community !! ;)

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
I want to do the same Rakkasan. I will buy a N/A head and replace the intake cam with the turbo version and replace all the valve seals and probably do the porting and polishing myself.

If I cannot find a good lapping tool I will take to my friend's machine shop to machine it. I know he can machine stuff to alot less than 1/2 a thou.
I have used his CNCmachine to run parts with a mirror finish.
I think Reg Reimer sells the lapping tool.

Cheers,
Roy

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
tte said:
I want to do the same Rakkasan. I will buy a N/A head and replace the intake cam with the turbo version and replace all the valve seals and probably do the porting and polishing myself.

If I cannot find a good lapping tool I will take to my friend's machine shop to machine it. I know he can machine stuff to alot less than 1/2 a thou.
I have used his CNCmachine to run parts with a mirror finish.
I think Reg Reimer sells the lapping tool.

Cheers,
Roy

That's cool, but now I'm getting confused. My machinist can put a severly smooth surface on my block & head, so is it still wise to lap them after he machines them or not?

I had great success with my MHG after he machined them for me, but I'm still paranoid that I'll get a BHG with my new motor so I want to make sure it's done right.