Decisions...I have a dilemma!

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
I made my second mistake: Buying another Supra. I'm running an 88 N/A, and I wanted boost. So I bought an 89 for a grand. It has BHG. Now I was planning on yanking the motor out, fixing the HG, doing a few things here and there and dropping it in my 88. The thing is, it's grown on me. The problem is, the problems lol.

Rundown of both:

Faded paint on hood and roof. Clear coat is fine, just faded.
Wells have the typical rust, not too bad but getting worse.
Trim has a few rust bubbles.
The bottom piece right behind the tire, name escapes me, is rusting out. Typical again.

Both front fenders have dents from when the previous owner park it and ice dropped and hit it.
Wells are getting pretty bad.
Faded paint on roof, around other parts. Clear coat is coming off around the same areas. Not terrible.
REBUILT SALVAGE. History is unknown, but I found an old picture in the glove where the driver side fender got smashed. The trim got fucked, headlight was goofy, and the fender was scraped pretty good. Inspecting under the hood shows everything looks fine though. Doesn't look like anything was damaged except for cosmetics.

In my current, the interior is in a better condition. Plus, I'm a fan of the midnight blue. It is a light blue exterior whereas the purchased 89 is the deep red exterior and gray interior. I'm definitely a fan of the 89+ bumper and the 3 piece spoiler. IMO the car just sitting looks way meaner than the 88. Although if I am going for street rapist Honda Mustang killer sleeper, the 88 would fulfill the role of sleeping. I can't keep both, I don't have the room. Pics would have been provided, but both cars are covering in shit ass snow. Damn Ohio...

So, help me out! I don't know what to do!

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
What are your goals? more power in the future? your gonna need more power if your gonna be a street sleeper, so you might as well keep the 89 since it growing on ya anyways, that way you don't have to swap everything over. You already have the three piece spoiler on the 89 and the 89 front bumper that you like. You already have two good fenders on the 88, swap them over. I rather swap bolt on parts than repair rust.
Sell your 88 and use the money to improve on the 89.

My Opinion: Your'e gonna paint the car anyways, I'd swap the blue interior over to the other one and paint it. Or leave it and have a real sleeper.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Blue interior turns purple! Grey is the better choice. It sounds like paint is in order for both cars. Put the good fenders on the 89 and paint it. The 89+ will always bring the better money,because there were so many less of them made and they have the desirable parts, so take care of it.

GotBoost?

I do
Nov 25, 2005
By My Computer
One thing I discovered is that no matter what we have, we often want something better. It's normal and natural. The best way to get there is to get started with the best platform you can buy. Both your cars need lots of work. To get to your goals faster and with less manual labor, here's the plan:

a) sell/part out both cars, save the money and more, if you can
b) watch the for sale CL ads in Dallas, TX (rust free cars)
c) Tow a fine, rust free, hopefully cheap example for two fun-filled days back to Ohio
d) mod the beast to your liking
f) enjoy

This way, instead of spending all your effort, time and money (same thing), you'd be modding and driving your chariot.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
Koenigturbo;1649015 said:
What are your goals? more power in the future? your gonna need more power if your gonna be a street sleeper, so you might as well keep the 89 since it growing on ya anyways, that way you don't have to swap everything over. You already have the three piece spoiler on the 89 and the 89 front bumper that you like. You already have two good fenders on the 88, swap them over. I rather swap bolt on parts than repair rust.
Sell your 88 and use the money to improve on the 89.

My Opinion: Your'e gonna paint the car anyways, I'd swap the blue interior over to the other one and paint it. Or leave it and have a real sleeper.
My final plans are for 400 or more horsepower. This is waaay down the road though.

I'm not planning on painting anything until I get some very good power and speed. All go, no show. At least until the go is in effect. But no show shouldn't be confused with bad condition, naw mean?

And I think a midnight blue pimp purple interior would clash a shit ton with the red 89.
ForcedTorque;1649027 said:
Blue interior turns purple! Grey is the better choice. It sounds like paint is in order for both cars. Put the good fenders on the 89 and paint it. The 89+ will always bring the better money,because there were so many less of them made and they have the desirable parts, so take care of it.
I love the blue/purple. :D

Both of you suggested putting fenders on. If I do that and put the dented fenders on the 88 it would be harder to sell.
Koenigturbo;1649029 said:
Is tha grey leather or cloth? if it's leather I may need some piece's

Cloth. If it was leather you bet your ass this decision would be easier.

I also forgot to mention my 88 is hard top, 89 is targa.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Greek;1649071 said:
Both of you suggested putting fenders on. If I do that and put the dented fenders on the 88 it would be harder to sell.

The logical step would be to keep the better parts for your car. The choice is yours though, as they may get you more out of the one you sell than it will take to fix what you keep.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
My final plans are for 400 or more horsepower. This is waaay down the road though.

In stead of converting, Most of your needs are already done for you, the E.C.U. and harness, innercooler, G.T.E. engine, e.t.c, except of course the upgrades. thats why I say kept the "89"

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
Is there any way to fix the rust in the wells? I'm not going to drop the entire back end out anytime soon, and someone I know said that they grinded the rust out as much as the could and sealed some metal on there. Would this work?

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
Greek;1649464 said:
Is there any way to fix the rust in the wells? I'm not going to drop the entire back end out anytime soon, and someone I know said that they grinded the rust out as much as the could and sealed some metal on there. Would this work?

The chances are if there is visible rust there will be rust that you can't see. I would drop the rear end and do it right the first time. Would be a shame down the road the rusted wells turned into something worse like a cracked subframe.

Shineauto is a company that sales body kits and other items for our cars. Here is a link to their holiday sale thread

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?133685-Shineautoproject-Holiday-Sale

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
Body kits?! WHAT IS THIS, I DON'T EVEN! The stock supra body is too sexy to put a damn kit on it.

Lefty, you live in Dayton I see? I swear I've seen you at K-Mart a few times? You always roll up when I leave, so I've never actually seen you.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Greek;1650319 said:
Body kits?! WHAT IS THIS, I DON'T EVEN! The stock supra body is too sexy to put a damn kit on it.

Dude, you need to check out the place first. While they do sell body kits, a fair bit of their stuff isn't add on parts, it's replacement parts. So for instance, the widebody fenders I pointed out are a replacement fender that's another 35mm wider, giving you room for a lot more wheel / tire. Add in the fact that Toyota is out of fenders last time I checked, and a lot of folks are fighting with rust, and this becomes a cheap replacement option.