DDP vs Elbow + DP vs DP w/ Elbow

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Hey all just figured I'd ask everyone if I should go ahead and buy this. I bought a parts car awhile ago, had a downpipe and all on it with a flex section.

I found a listing of someone selling a aftermarket turbo elbow that supposedly isn't nearly as restrictive as the stock. The DP that came with the car seemed a bit big for stock, but that's just me. We're really hurting on money right now. What would you think my best option is? We're barely getting enough money to get the engine back together, but we need to get the exhaust mods done because we take it to the exhaust shop to avoid multiple trips.

Should I get the elbow? Should I buy a DP with included elbow for 200 is there really a difference?

Or should I fork out the 350$ or so for a DDP?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
It's a question of degree, and what will suit your goals.

I have a LIPP elbow with an RT downpipe. This suits me, and works fine with my turbonetics bolt-on turbo. I'm not 100% certain that a DDP for the CT26 would work exactly as expected, since I have a slightly different (Though it still fits the stock parts) hotside. For me, this is a good setup.

A separate elbow leaves the option of changing to a completely different turbo open I guess, though you usually accept that a different turbo will require a different downpipe.

The integrated elbow with the downpipe is probably the most limiting of choices, but not necessarily bad. It's easier to thermo-wrap, for example.

If money is tight, work with what you have as much as possible. Get a pic of the downpipe, if it's not stock, it's probably adequate for upgrade. Note that upgrading the downpipe is about the easiest exhaust mod there is, and doesn't need an exhaust shop to do. If it's good enough, then get the elbow, and you're good for budget. It's (hopefully) worth about what you'd pay for it if you sold it used, too, so little risk.

Don't spend money on something that you'll upgrade again later.

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Yeah I've already had 3" exhaust all the way back after downpipe on the current NA car. Going to cut it, take it back to the shop have them weld a flange hopefully or just reweld the new exhaust. Just silly to take it back there several times.

I'll take a pic of the downpipe I have in a bit, it's dark and cold right now. Future plans for this car are upgraded 57 trim ct26 at best. So really is aftermarket DP + Elbow basically the same thing as aftermarket downpipe WITH elbow?

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Just replacing the stock elbow a big difference? Because I mean stock exhaust is rather big tubing for how little power it had haha. Hopefully with exhaust, fuel pump and intake I'll get close to 300ftlbs torque.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
yes it is a huge difference the stock elbow is a flow nightmare
any elbow is an upgrade over stock i have the lip elbow with a 3" hks dp. i had the stock elbow on the hks and the difference on spool is huge

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Emeraldage;1904092 said:
Just replacing the stock elbow a big difference? Because I mean stock exhaust is rather big tubing for how little power it had haha. Hopefully with exhaust, fuel pump and intake I'll get close to 300ftlbs torque.

Stock elbow is like only putting your foot halfway down. Simply by changing elbows you'll pick up a few psi. With stock turbo and full exhaust and apexi intake filter, I could see 300ftlb at roughly 10 psi.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
OP, I say go with the opened elbow for the time being. You can always upgrade to a ddp down the road if you want to pick up a few more horses. Replacing the downpipe later will be a very easy procedure. I do recommend replacing your catalytic converter with a test pipe if you haven't already.

Dan_Gyoba;1904089 said:
I'd put my LIPP elbow and RT downpipe up against any downpipe with elbow any day.

You can put it up against this one, but you'd lose. :naughty:
I know it's a ddp tho. :sarcasm:

p1904105_1.jpg

Dan_Gyoba, it'd fit your hotside too. Had it made for my Turbonetics Hi-Fi some years ago. Actually, the SP turbos use the same cast as the turbonetics. So if the downpipe is made for an SP turbo then you're good.

Last edited:

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Alright thanks for the info. Plans for this car is basically just keep stock turbo with 57 trim garret rebuild and all, and try to get as much as that. I believe in all torque really, I notice with aftermarket turbos people lost a lot of that sadly, and in my head it's silly having a smaller engine push that much boost. Maybe a slightly bigger turbo some day. Who knows if I ever get the money.

Just really want to get the engine in the car right now. My exhaust was built from a local shop with just a muffler on it. But wanting to get the engine in, have them put 2 res or so on it (Thankfully 7m is so quiet to begin with) and somehow tuck it up a bit, it hangs so much lower than stock, and since I lowered the car is scrapes so much.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I got the Raptor Racing Integrated DDP and it is a solid piece although a bit pricey. The one thing I can warn you about is to make sure the flanges are ground straight/flat because the massive amount of welding occuring at the flange tends to warp them a bit. You dont want a whole lot of bolt torque simply to pull the flanges together.

IMG_0297a.jpg

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
MarkIII4Me;1904105 said:
OP, I say go with the opened elbow for the time being. You can always upgrade to a ddp down the road if you want to pick up a few more horses. Replacing the downpipe later will be a very easy procedure. I do recommend replacing your catalytic converter with a test pipe if you haven't already.

You can put it up against this one, but you'd lose. :naughty:
I know it's a ddp tho. :sarcasm:

p1904253_1.jpg

Dan_Gyoba, it'd fit your hotside too. Had it made for my Turbonetics Hi-Fi some years ago. Actually, the SP turbos use the same cast as the turbonetics. So if the downpipe is made for an SP turbo then you're good.
Good to know, but now that I have it, upgrading from here is a pretty low priority, I've got a lot of other areas that I can make power from easier now.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Something to watch for also is some of the DP's that use the separate elbow bump down to 2.5" on the end that meets the bottom of the stock elbow. My hks did that iirc.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Emeraldage;1904092 said:

This is somebody else's picture, but you get the idea.

turbo8.jpg

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Canuckrz;1904255 said:
Something to watch for also is some of the DP's that use the separate elbow bump down to 2.5" on the end that meets the bottom of the stock elbow. My hks did that iirc.
That's one thing that the LIPP part is really good for. It doesn't do that, and mates up to the aftermarket large downpipes nicely.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Raptor Racing (likely the one you were referring to), BIC, and chinamen sell DDP's. The made in china ones are available from driftmotion and a couple other places. From what I've seen I would recommend the Raptor Racing DDP over the others.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
I like my ddp with a test pipe all the way back to a muffler. The spool is quicker and I'm still on the stock ct26.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Raptor DDP is very well thought out. I found the seperator tab to be a bit longer than what I could use, but it was very quick to shave it 1/4". If I recall its ceramic coated inside and out and is a true 3" start to finish. Hooking mine up to a HKS twin tip 3" catback (my cats are all removed).

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Keep in mind a test pipe isn't going to give you any gains over a high-flow cat (mostly just a cat that has 3" inlet and outlet will work wonders).

Only 2 reasons not to run a cat:
- Running leaded race gas
- you're cheap and/or a dick that wants to make people's eyes bleed :)