Daugherty_3's 87 Restoration / build thread.

Daugherty_3

(>")>
Sep 28, 2010
New Hampshire
Hey Supramania, my name is Josh, and here is my thread for my 87 Supra turbo. Ive been working on and off for a couple of years now while i was in school. my goal when i finish is to have a show worthy daily driver. I acquired when i was 16 for 1000 dollars in traded work, but with little funds available i had to put off my build. The project started to get the attention it needed my second year of college (fall of 09), and was only being worked on weekends and what not. Now that I am out of school i should have a little more time for the supra. Ive spent countless hours doing some research on these cars and i know most of what i want to with this one. my goal is gonna be around 400 to the wheels but still daily drivable. I am rebuilding this car from the ground up, and improving imperfections as i go. so for now enjoy the pics! also i update and add pics and dont always make new posts so check in often.

This is how the car looked when I received it.

The head was missing

First thing i did was pull the motor.

Dropped the front suspension but needed a way to roll the car around still so i made this dolly.

Cancer!

Sand Blasted the engine bay.

Sanded the engine the bay down for etch primer.

Fixed the rust hole and deleted the ac hole on the firewall.

after all that was done. primed the engine bay, sanded it down, and seam sealed all the

The Engine bay all painted.

Painted the brake booster.

dropped the rear suspension and got it ready for the rotisserie. (pics of suspension later on)

On the Rotisserie!!!

stripped the undercoating from the bottom

Started the body repair on the bottom, some jack damage and rust.

Rust repair, thought i had a before pic but i dont sorry guys!

Last edited:

spencyg

Oct 7, 2010
Maine, USA
Where in NH are you? I'm finding more and more New England folks these days...nearly enough to have a supra club or something! Nice start. Its so hard to find good shells up here.

SGinNE

Daugherty_3

(>")>
Sep 28, 2010
New Hampshire
spencyg;1707568 said:
Where in NH are you? I'm finding more and more New England folks these days...nearly enough to have a supra club or something! Nice start. Its so hard to find good shells up here.

SGinNE

Plymouth Area

Daugherty_3

(>")>
Sep 28, 2010
New Hampshire
Front Suspension.

Used the beadblastin cabinet at college for my lower control arms.

Painted with Energy Bushings installed!

Here is my rear subframe. It has been sandblasted and Ive done some searching and fixed where they would normally crack. Just got it into paint. Now all i need to to pick up some poly bushings and she will set.
heres the pics!

Prepped for Paint

This the paint im Ive used so far for the engine bay and suspension components.

"GENESIS 0.7 Low VOC Acrylic Urethane is extremely durable, provides high gloss and is chemical/solvent resistant. GENESIS 0.7 can be air-dried or force dried for a urethane-tough enamel that is ideal for OEM, Fleet, Truck, and special vehicle finishing." off there website

Last edited:

Daugherty_3

(>")>
Sep 28, 2010
New Hampshire
Did some more work today. pulled a couple more little dents out and finished out a rust patch i did a while back. I also finished off the last of the body plug hole patches.

I still got a little bit more sanding to do, but you can see how it gonna look.

some minor rust, but rust nevertheless. I removed the bracket by drilling the spot welds then I cleaned up the rust, bead blasted the bracket, sprayed some weld etch primer on the bear metal and welded it back on.

Edit. 5/22/2011
Mid section on the floor is now in primer!

Last edited:

Daugherty_3

(>")>
Sep 28, 2010
New Hampshire
Polished compressing housing that I did it a while ago when i got bored.

I painted POR-15 onto my front knuckles and the control arm eccentric bolts. I apologize for the cell phone pics!

Updated 6/7/2011
this is what i did with the floors, I removed factory insulation, cleaned and sanded them and then I painted it with POR-15. still have to back have to do but here is the mid section.

Updated 6/8/11
I sanded the primer on the bottom of the car, then I seam sealed about 80 percent of the primed section.

Last edited:

90mkiiisupra400hp

Mar 20, 2011
Gardiner, Maine
Great work I am looking forward to seeing the outcome, it's good to know there are more people in maine/new hampshire area with as much love for these cars as I have, keep up the good work, and keep us updated.

Daugherty_3

(>")>
Sep 28, 2010
New Hampshire
Update 8/19/2011

Its been a while but now im caught up with work. so its back to removing rust!

Update 8/21/2011
Still not done but left in etch primer to keep it from rusting.
dscf0995l.jpg

dscf0996l.jpg

dscf0998uk.jpg

dscf1011ml.jpg

0821111746.jpg

dscf1019fu.jpg

Last edited: