cut springs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Wait.. What???

How can cut springs be bad on the diff? Please explain that to me?

And no do not do it. ride will SUCK. Your shocks are probably already blown.. if not you will blow them as soon as you drive the car. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME OR DON'T DO IT AT ALL!

suprafast

Apr 13, 2009
mountlake terrace
iidk one of my friends told me that it puts stress on the diff. my other friend has a mkII and he cut is springs and like 3 months later his diff started messing up...what do you think then?

suprafast

Apr 13, 2009
mountlake terrace
and ya all my shocks are already blown so if i lower it it will bottom out the struts so there wont be any movement. i have another buddy that did that to his ae86 and it handled even better , just a bit more bouncy

suprafast

Apr 13, 2009
mountlake terrace
i think it would make it look better. and its hella easy to do. plus the guy i bought my supra from inserted these like metal bircks in the rear springs? idk what those are even for?/ do you

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Well if you are already set on doing it go for it. No one can stop you now. As for the metal brackets, are they in between the coils? My guess is to stiffen up the rear a little.

Also.. Hope your spring does not fall off the lower perches when you cut them..

supraman666

Mar 20, 2009
PAWTUCKET RI
dont do it, if u cut to short u will be sorry. snapped a spring on my cressida thought what the fuck i will drive it like it is took a sharp turn all pressure come off spring it came out of spring saddle went right threw my tire not fun. if anything get cheap spring compressors from autozone will drop your car lik 2 inches if u want like $5 a wheel.

Weeves

is here to learn
Oct 2, 2008
Winnipeg
When the question about cutting springs comes up in car forum, all the answers will say don't do it. Generally, I also stand by this sentiment. A lot of things can go wrong and will get damaged when you lower a car by cutting springs.

However, like with all things, moderation is key. I believe cutting up to 1/2 or 2/3s of a coil is tolerable. On my AE86, I'm running Whiteline lowering springs with 1/2 a coil cut and my Tokico blues haven't been damaged 2 years/12,000kms later.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Cutting springs will negatively affect all aspects of the car's suspension. Listen to Boris. If you do it anyway, then I'll be looking for your name on the Darwin Awards. :nono:

There's a difference between inexpensive and cheap. You're being cheap, which is one of the worst things you can do.

Don't do it.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Plain and simple :nono:

Drive your car stock for fuck's sake...

Yes a lowered car can look nicer, but get over the ignorant, ricer boy mentality and do it right or NOT AT ALL.

I'd love to have my Supra lowered, but I haven't had an extra ~$500 to do it right in 2 years. So guess what..... the car stays stock.

Ugh.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
So...why do you want to lower your car for? just for looks? People do it for performance compensate with nice stand. But please dont cut your springs, it is not going to do anything but bring dangerous to the matter.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Cutting springs is dangerous, however the question was will it kill your differential.

The answer is no. It will have no negative effect on the diff's internals, HOWEVER lowering your car without the increase of spring rate, you greatly increase the chances of smashing your differential, exhaust, and underbody against the ground. My parts supra had cut springs and blown out struts when i bought it and the underbody is completely fucked from smashing against the ground.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
p1301761_1.jpg

Boy oh boy, like Bor said.

Duane

Status
Not open for further replies.