cut springs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
:nono: how many of you people bashing cut springs actually rode in a car with cut springs before and after? And by cut springs i mean less then 1 coil?

I cut about 3/4's of a coil off the springs in my car, doesnt actually ride to bad. Not bouncy, doesn't smash the ground, and actually handles a bit better from lower center of gravity and because cutting increases the spring rate.

Having said that, am i an advocate of cutting over buying a set of lowering springs/coilovers? No. Do i claim that cut springs are just as good or equal in any way to a set of lowering springs/coilovers? No. Nor would i ever recommend someone cut there springs over buying a set of lowering springs or coilovers, and my experience might be different then others..

If someone is thinking about cutting there springs there not looking at it as a performance modification that there going to gain anything from.

If you want to cut the springs to lower the car, cut 1/2 to 3/4 of a coil off and enjoy a lowered look for no cost and accept it for what its worth. The car isnt going to explode or be dangerous to drive.

Dont expect it to handle better or worse, dont expect it to ride any better or worse, just take it for what it is.

I dont regret that i cut my springs because IMO it was worth while for what i wanted and when im ready to do it right and get coilovers, i will.

P.S if your going to cut the coil, cut from the top because if you cut from the bottom you might have a problem with the spring sitting on the perch.

BoostJunkie

Nov 27, 2008
Clarksville, TN
I agree with everything Nosechunks just said. Do the Po Boy method for now. Your car will not explode. Cut from the top and no more then ONE full coil. I've done it on my Dodge Avenger and 3000GT, both rode great and didnt cost a damn thing. It does make it look good but for performance, it wont help.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
nosechunks;1301861 said:
I cut about 3/4's of a coil off the springs in my car, doesnt actually ride to bad. Not bouncy, doesn't smash the ground, and actually handles a bit better from lower center of gravity and because cutting increases the spring rate.

Seriously? SERIOUSLY?!?!?! :3d_frown:

To the OP: IJ is right. Do not talk to these friends about cars. Maybe they know some good tips for World of Warcraft or something...

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
nosechunks;1301861 said:
:nono: how many of you people bashing cut springs actually rode in a car with cut springs before and after? And by cut springs i mean less then 1 coil?

Having said that, am i an advocate of cutting over buying a set of lowering springs/coilovers? No. Do i claim that cut springs are just as good or equal in any way to a set of lowering springs/coilovers? No. Nor would i ever recommend someone cut there springs over buying a set of lowering springs or coilovers, and my experience might be different then others..

If someone is thinking about cutting there springs there not looking at it as a performance modification that there going to gain anything from.

If you want to cut the springs to lower the car, cut 1/2 to 3/4 of a coil off and enjoy a lowered look for no cost and accept it for what its worth. The car isnt going to explode or be dangerous to drive.

Dont expect it to handle better or worse, dont expect it to ride any better or worse, just take it for what it is.

I dont regret that i cut my springs because IMO it was worth while for what i wanted and when im ready to do it right and get coilovers, i will.

P.S if your going to cut the coil, cut from the top because if you cut from the bottom you might have a problem with the spring sitting on the perch.

Not too sure about that...

I know it will increase the pressure in your shocks. So much to the point that an older set of shocks will blow because of the excess load...

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
suprafast;1301265 said:
i have another buddy that did that to his ae86 and it handled even better , just a bit more bouncy

You do realize that that means the ride is worse, not better right??? I've ridden in a car with cut springs and it rode like ass. The bouncing was dangerous because it throws the cars balance off, especially when turning. Wait the 2 months and buy propper coilovers and lower your Supra the right way.

As for the differential, lowering a car will have zero, none, zip, effect on the differential. Hard driving, especially launching on the other hand will. Hence the reason drifters rebuild their diffs very regularly. Pro drifters diffs only last a month at most before they need rebuilding.

Adam

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
It's not getting any farther...

Cut springs = stupid, dangerous bullshit

Anyone who knows fuckall about suspension dynamics can tell you there are 101 reasons why you shouldn't persue this stupid, dangerous and embarrassing path.

And by the way "a little bouncy" is "a little dangerous" - why in the world would you sacrifice your safety, and the safety of everyone around you for an appearance mod?

If you really want to be that much of a stupid riceboy, please get rid of the Supra. There are vast numbers of 16 year old Honda owners who will welcome you and your cut springs with open arms...

simplicity.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.