CT26 Removal

supra1642

Aug 28, 2007
Michigan
ok i have searched and can not come up with anything else. so i just want to know if there is an easier way than the bishop92t write up. I'm trying to take the turbo off and am having trouble with the flange on the bottom and the 4 bolts on the block. i got the top two loose on the block but can't get the bottom. so if anyone can tell me some simple steps to get this off i'd greatly appreciate it. thanks.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Its not too hard. Its really jsut fitting a wrench in the bottom bolts and loosening them.

Ive found it to be easier some times to go from under the car....

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
hmm.... I see a flange underneath mine, but I never had the bolts in. Good luck to you. Also, factory gaskets a must, use cheap gaskets and you will tear it down a month later. Dont lose a turbo/engine due to a .50 cent difference on price of the oil drain gaskets...

ILikeCarsYesIDo

Permanently Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Hayward, CA
s383mmber1;946129 said:
Its not too hard. Its really jsut fitting a wrench in the bottom bolts and loosening them.

Ive found it to be easier some times to go from under the car....

The downpipe nuts are easy. Four 14mm nuts.

Then four 14mm nuts holding the turbo to the manifold. Get both a flared (or closed) and regular open box wrench. Slightly angled to/from you ones are good. Top left is easy, followed by bottom left. You can actually get the bottom left with a 14mm socket if you want. Bottom right, this is where the flared and/or closed box wrench will come in handy. Make sure the lower IC hose is out of the way. Top right, you'll have to do that one in many passes.

Oil lines: One 17mm bolt, straight forward. Two 12mm nuts. Follow the pipe with your fingers. Guide a 12mm socket onto a 4 inch (or did I use a 6 inch?) extension and just loosen.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Ratcheting, swiveling, 14mm gear wrench makes this SO much faster.

JS-S34712.jpg

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I have fat hands and found it very difficult, as I could only get to half of everything (manifold, DP, turbo elbow) and I had never done it before. Good luck

Edit: What he just posted would have shaved a good ten minutes off my half-removal.

supra1642

Aug 28, 2007
Michigan
thanks for all the info i only need to take off the oil lines and the bracket holding it to the block and its off (I hope) so i hope its not gonna be too cold because i don't have a garaged to do this in.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
oil lines are the real PITA, just get underneath and have at it, hope you got the downpipe completely out and have skinny arms.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
torch.

p946962_1.jpg

p946962_2.jpg

p946962_3.jpg

and a soft face mallet.

could use a brass hammer or brass dowel, block of wood.dead blow.

but the idea is to quickly heat the area of the v-band and heat evenly,a few taps around the out side and you will see the turbo start moving out.

although this only works' when your exhaust gasket are in good shape.

and you are replacing the inducer wheel, or the exhaust housing is good. and oil leaks N' such.

i was sending mine out to have it upgraded, they didn't need the exhaust housing. it was off with in 20 minutes start to finish. shipped the same day.

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
supra1642;946092 said:
ok i have searched and can not come up with anything else. so i just want to know if there is an easier way than the bishop92t write up. I'm trying to take the turbo off and am having trouble with the flange on the bottom and the 4 bolts on the block. i got the top two loose on the block but can't get the bottom. so if anyone can tell me some simple steps to get this off i'd greatly appreciate it. thanks.

I got advice from a fellow member and he also let me see a 7mgte on an engine stand so I could plan my assault. The gear wrenches are simply a must have for a supra owner... There are many many other things that they make easier. Honestly you should contact MDC and get the braided oil lines to make life not suck when you put the turbo back on. I also invested in flare wrenches after talking to mdc.

Putting it mack on I laid on top of the engine from the drivers side and dropped my arms down around the turbo. Having the downpipe/exhaust out of the way is a bonus. The oil lines are easy when you are laying this way. Make sure you watch your sending unit.

V