cryo-forged stock rods?

KTM530

Supramania Contributor
Jan 24, 2011
santa rosa
Anyone Cryo-forged anything? I am thinking about sending in my extra rods for a future rebuild. Think its money well spent for 450HP?

KTM530

Supramania Contributor
Jan 24, 2011
santa rosa
my bad, treatment is what I ment. looks like money well spent. maybe send in a set of forged pistons for some added extra strength.

KTM530

Supramania Contributor
Jan 24, 2011
santa rosa
Poodles;1883070 said:
Brake rotors, maybe, engine internals, doubtful...

do you think there would be no added benefit to treat the pistons? is that why you say doubtful?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Well, when money is no object *cough*IJ*cough* you can play with with cryo. Most of the time the changes are negligible... at least for the price point (i.e. cryo treated stock rods vs. forged rods)

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Plus, if you have forged pistons for a 450hp goal, you dont need to cryo treat. You already have the added strength.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
In the "overkill" department, I went for shot-peened stock rods, and I feel that's more than adequate for my (~450WHP) goal. With the forged pistons as well, I feel that my internals are more than up to the task.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Yeah. I forget who mentioned it recently, but the stock rods are quite well engineered, and were comparable to domestic big block rods. Ive never seen a bent rod or broken rod, unless its because it went through the side of the block due to catastrophic rod knock/ bearing failure first. And thats more of a lubrication/ oil clearance issue, not a rod design flaw.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
supraguy@aol;1883391 said:
Yeah. I forget who mentioned it recently, but the stock rods are quite well engineered, and were comparable to domestic big block rods. Ive never seen a bent rod or broken rod, unless its because it went through the side of the block due to catastrophic rod knock/ bearing failure first. And thats more of a lubrication/ oil clearance issue, not a rod design flaw.
Might have been me ;)

TheMaxx

Jan 8, 2012
orlando
I have not looked into the price of cryo+ shot peening. But I think for what it would cost to get them shot peened and then re-sized and cryo'd you could probably pick up a set of Eagle H-beam 4340 rods for not much more or about the same. While there is nothing wrong with the stock rods if you decide to go that route you may also want to get the ARP rod bolts for them. A little extra insurance never hurt.