Cruise Control.... wow that was easy

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
So I don't know about everyone else, but when I did my 1JZ swap I looked at the cruise control and the 1JZ throttle body and was like "no way this is gonna happen." I ripped the CC out of the car and never thought twice.

Turns out its really simple! I measured and cut off a section of the cable casing (roughly 3") and removed 2/3 of the cable end leaving only the small diameter part. And it works like a charm!

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
IJ.;1424707 said:
Well done!

Never understood people that ditch the CC it makes the car so much more user friendly on the highway.

It was pretty rare that I used the cruise control. Most of the time on long trips I'm driving with other Supras, so heaven knows there's no constant speed.

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
WeDgE;1424882 said:
How did you wire it up?

None needed! My chassis was a 1987 N/A and I think the CC I used was a 89 T (heard it was better for boosted engines.) Anyways, I just plugged it in to the stock connector. Its on the body harness so it should just be sitting there.

Thanks IJ :) I made the ride home from college a couple months ago with no CC. (16 hours) That sucked pretty bad and was pretty much the reason I wouldn't do a road trip with my car again. But, now I could go anywhere! haha

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Zach;1424870 said:
It was pretty rare that I used the cruise control. Most of the time on long trips I'm driving with other Supras, so heaven knows there's no constant speed.

With driving 1000+ miles to texas meet, having CC is a nice to have. It is pretty ugly in the bay though.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I am getting ready to hook my CC up soon. Hadn't gotten around to it. Trying to picture what Freshmaker did, but I guess I need to be near the car to visualize it better.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
tissimo;1425103 said:
With driving 1000+ miles to texas meet, having CC is a nice to have. It is pretty ugly in the bay though.

If I ever plan on going that far, the car will be on a trailer. The truck would have cruise control, lol.

I honestly don't see a need for cruise control in my setup, probably because when the car was running, I wouldn't go more than 100 miles one way.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
trailer the supra?

why?

shit i have drive from South Dakota, Rapid City and to Miami twice. That is 1800+ driving miles. No way I would attempt that without cruise!

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
Satan;1425170 said:
I am getting ready to hook my CC up soon. Hadn't gotten around to it. Trying to picture what Freshmaker did, but I guess I need to be near the car to visualize it better.

Just lengthen the cable. As to the plug and play. I've tried 3 supposedly working CC units and still not working here.:3d_frown:

[thumb]http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x89/jugodegolf/P9300021.jpg[/thumb]

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Back in 1999 I did 75000 Km's (46600 miles) and used CC for 90% of it, I wouldn't own a car without CC, if you're worried about it being "ugly" in the bay it's on a flex cable just relocate it under the inner fender plastics....

thesupragod

Supramania Contributor
Apr 10, 2005
Mount Vernon, Ohio
I'd love to have it working... i made the 1300 mile trip form ohio to miami without it, along with no A/C and all i have to say is FUCK THAT! Ill never do that again, ive got A/C now, but cruise has got to be working at some point.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I'm currently swapping steering wheels to get my cruise back. I love cruise on the highway because in the Supra my speed tends to creep a bit. It just feels so damn smooth at 140. lol

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
figgie;1425194 said:
trailer the supra?

why?

shit i have drive from South Dakota, Rapid City and to Miami twice. That is 1800+ driving miles. No way I would attempt that without cruise!

Im not going to risk breaking at the track and then being fucked out of a ride home (and a huge bill). If the car breaks in TX at 2kwhenevermycarisdone, that will be a REALLY expensive tow. 1800+ miles to go and beat the piss out of my car for a week, the trailer option seems like the more sensible one. At least this way, I have something to drive home.