Creativity gone...

ThirstyMKthrice

Feb 26, 2008
Austin, TX
www.myspace.com
I used to live with my guitar. it was always being played. well for the past 3 months i have not touched it....when i try it just feels weird and i cant come up with anything. i used to always be stressed by life and guitar always helped. but now i just stopped caring about almost everything. have any of yall ever been in a situation like this? i really want to write music again. every one keeps telling me ive changed and they like the way i used to be. i want to be a musician again. its like i was cursed outa no where....

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Keep playing. Don't put it down, it'll come back. ;)

When I haven't played for a while I usually just need to play some old basic stuff that I've always known and that gets me back into the groove.

Jun 6, 2006
Amerika
www.dreamertheresa.com
I didn't draw anything for years after getting burnt out on my art in college.

I'm not sure what advice to offer you - I let it hibernate, waited for my stress to die down, and my artists' fingers started itching again.

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
I went through that a few years ago. I didn't touch my guitar for months, then one day I just picked it up and started playing again :dunno:

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Don't force it. Play for enjoyment.

I have played piano and guitar for 15+ years. There was a period of about a year that I just gave up music. I can't really say why. I spent the first few months trying to force myself to play and then decided that if I wasn't having fun with it, there wasn't really a point to playing.

Eventually, I finally got the hankering to play again, so I did. After my break, the creativity came back, as did the skill. I also was having more fun, and as a result, began to advance more than ever.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Same here. I've played for about 7 years, but gave up for a few years right in a row. I just lost the urge to play. Just lately, though, I've been playing more. :)

rs4rush

Jan 25, 2007
Kirkland, Wa
JustAnotherVictim;954051 said:
Try a retune.
Listen to a different style of music for awhile.
Usually works for me.

Same! Just keep at it. I just broke my 2month hump where I wasn't writing anything and now today I wrote something I'm very pround of.

~Cory

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
You guys all are lame, boo hoo, i can't play guitar, boo hoo. ;)
I play guitar about 4 hours everyday minimum, just playing, not always writing, not always practicing, just playing :)

ThirstyMKthrice

Feb 26, 2008
Austin, TX
www.myspace.com
for 6 years i would play over 5 hours EVERY day. ive played almost 8 years now ive tried listening to different music. sonic youth. some Aphex Twin. Joy division. just different types of music. i guess time will bring me back to it. i'll restring it tomorrow. before this happened i was starting to create odd alternate tunings. but i just couldnt think of anything else. i think the problem is i need to jam with someone lol

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
When my parents got divorce i stop caring about my guitar that was in 2003. I did not really care about rock or punk or any type of music. I started to listen to b.b king and some jazz. The funny thing that made me what to play again was this trance song......:sonic: lol