Crazy Fast GT Racer

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
I believe its some sort of clutchless manual like you see on some bikes and atvs.

It could also be a very well made shiftronic style transmission but I am leaning towards clutchless.

Back in the day Mustangs had a similar AOD transmission which it might be as well. With the AOD you could shift manually or auto and it would not hurt the shifter...like ratchet shifters. Most of the outlaw cars use this style transmission. I will post a link of a very nice outlaw Mustang driving to I think Burger King so you can listen to the shifts.

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
Here is a video of Dan Millens outlaw Mustang going to Burger King. Good video to show the shifting.

It was made and tuned by Livernois Motorsport. Awesome car. I will be using many of their parts in my turbo motor.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Thanks to all who replied. I never knew sequential manual transmissions (SMT) existed. Learning something new everyday... I see from my research that Holinger, Toyota and others make SMT which work on similar principles. Not missing a shift is great, as is consistent shifting.
Does anybody recall the brand name SMT that was made for our MA-70/7MGTE? Van

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
e46 bmw m3 came with them as an option. You also have the ferrari's and lambo that have paddleshift sequential gearbox just like the f1 indy cars.

Van;1141430 said:
Thanks to all who replied. I never knew sequential manual transmissions (SMT) existed. Learning something new everyday... I see from my research that Holinger, Toyota and others make SMT which work on similar principles. Not missing a shift is great, as is consistent shifting.
Does anybody recall the brand name SMT that was made for our MA-70/7MGTE? Van

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Had me wondering if it was a reverse Grid race the way he blew by just about everyone.

Sequential is only part of it he has it set for flat shifts as well using "gear cut", they use a strain gauge on the shifter to cut power so you don't lift at all during shifts.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I was wondering about that Ian. So the computer "lifts" just slightly for him when he goes to shift it? I was looking for any indication that the shift made any kind of jolt going in and didnt see any. It looked and sounded about as smooth as a luxury car automatic...maybe smoother ;)

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
IJ.;1141546 said:
Pete: Yep most of the top end ECU's do "shift cut" so you can flat shift :)

the new ss cobalt has some sort of no lift shift setup, ecu holds the rpms for you while you shift...

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
a company N2MB (never 2 much boost) makes something they call a WOT box, it cuts power while shifting very slightly so you can WOT shift (shifting w/o letting off the gas) while putting the least amount of strain on the tranny.

not sure if it'll work on every car tho.

and DAMN can that dude drive... over took like 10 people on the starting straight lolz

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
kotu100, sounds like something fun to put on the supra. what's the website or do you have more info?