crank pulley bolt

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
well this sounds stupid but the bolt does not come out, like its cranked in there, i have used a breaker bar, and even a electric impact gun that has a nice amount of TQ, right now i left PB blast soaking the bolt over night to see if it does any work for tomorrow, would any one had this problem or knows a good way to take this off? this motor has never been rebuild and even gaskets are stuck on the block, and im doing a rebuild on the car for reasons like that.

thanks

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Yea, the bolt on my car wouldnt come off, or so I thought. Went and talked to a few ppl and turns out toyota didnt want that bolt to come off. Go figure.
But yes it comes off, but it takes an emense amount of force.

Keep using the breaker bar and torque gun
itll come off

vettedreams2001

Jun 20, 2008
Virginia
I loosened and tightened mine while the motor was still in the car using a breaker bar, the car in gear with the e-brake on, may not be the smartest but it came off and got it torqued down just fine.

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
yea i had my girl friend in the car, pressing the normal foot brake, and in first gear, and still nothing with a breaker bar, and the motor build up soo much compression that the car was starting to move even with the brakes fully pressed on, would there be any problem if i heat it up a bit and then use the impact gun? lol this is too funny cause my other toyota cars that i have build was easy to take off.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
I use a quality 1/2" breaker bar, with about a 2 foot piece of pipe over the end of that.
Made a custom flywheel holding tool using chunks of the gear off an old flex plate, welded onto another long piece of steel.
Look up the torque spec.s, they are on their damn tight !

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Do Not heat it! You don't want to melt the rubber in the pulley. It should be torqued to 195 ft-lb. Use the longest breaker bar you can find, and an overnight PB, and you should be able to get it. Whatever you do, don't save it for later. Once out of the car, it gets even harder to get it off.

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
ForcedTorque;1508448 said:
Do Not heat it! You don't want to melt the rubber in the pulley. It should be torqued to 195 ft-lb. Use the longest breaker bar you can find, and an overnight PB, and you should be able to get it. Whatever you do, don't save it for later. Once out of the car, it gets even harder to get it off.

Forgot about that! dont do that.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Make sure your torque wrench is capable of torquing it back on too, don't want to get it off then have no proper way to put it back on.

too_stand

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2005
Campton Kentucky
1jz crank pulley bolts are even tighter than 7m. With the engine removed, I bolt a bracket onto the rear of the engine with a bolt going into the back of the crank and and another bolt into the back of the outer engine. Then get a 6 foot or so cheater pipe .

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
It would be easier out of the car IMO (with the way I do it).

I use a crank pulley holder: Schley 64300. I used a breaker bar with an extension and pinned that against the frame of the vehicle, then I yanked the hell out of another breaker bar for a good 5 minutes or so and eventually I broke the bolt free.

The breaker bar I used was a $10 one from Harbor Freight haha

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
yea i have the car soaking with PBim gonna try using the starter to take the bolt off, i do have a big breaker bar but i guess not big enough, and the impact i got is from harbor freight and they said it has 240lbs of tq or w/e idk see what happens in a lil

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
iwannadie;1508456 said:
Make sure your torque wrench is capable of torquing it back on too, don't want to get it off then have no proper way to put it back on.

I was able to borrow one capable from my local parts store. It did take an $80 Deposit, but that gets returned.

IJ.;1508461 said:
Try 5th gear so there's less mechanical advantage available to move the car....

There's one that I never remember. I've seen you post it before, but it always escapes me.

Moy;1508551 said:
It would be easier out of the car IMO (with the way I do it).

I use a crank pulley holder: Schley 64300. I used a breaker bar with an extension and pinned that against the frame of the vehicle, then I yanked the hell out of another breaker bar for a good 5 minutes or so and eventually I broke the bolt free.

The breaker bar I used was a $10 one from Harbor Freight haha

Confused on your method here, but good info on the pulley holder.

Heavy D;1508616 said:
yea i have the car soaking with PBim gonna try using the starter to take the bolt off, i do have a big breaker bar but i guess not big enough, and the impact i got is from harbor freight and they said it has 240lbs of tq or w/e idk see what happens in a lil

Good Luck!

gwumpkus

Nov 27, 2009
Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
my mechanic used his biggest air impact, coupled with lots of uninhibited swearing in 2 languages and several dialects before it came off... part of the the residual fallout of that swearing landed on *me* of course, for buying *that car*...:p..

so after reading the posts about u guys using a breaker bar...gosh...*respect*...:p