Coolant Leak at Heater Hard Line Bracket under Exhaust Manifold

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
well, what i'm thinkin on doing is replacing with a new toyota pipe and weld/braze off the little pipe that goes around to the intake side. it's gonna be a pain in the ass mostly because i don't want to remove my manifolds and shit. but i would rather do it right than jbweld it. plus it gives me the opportunity to clean up the engine bay a bit and adjust the wastegate on my turbo =0). feel free to keep posting about this. i still have to save up for this pipe anyway. thanks for all the input! keep it coming...

-t3d

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
3p141592654;1507686 said:
Perhaps the 86-88 were steel, I've never touched one. The 89+ do not look like steel to me. There is a part number change from 88- to 89+. A magnet test is in order...

If i had access to my car, I'd go test right now...

I do know that the part number change reflects the fact that the early model pipes had a blocked-off port on the exhaust side for RHD vehicles. Mine does not, indicating that it is 89+

If my pipe was steel, it certainly would have showed signs of rusting shortly after install.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
If it was me i would just break off the throttle body coolant line, remove the unit from the exhaust side, repair the leak and the hole where the throttle body line went, install it and never look back. Of course, dont forget to plug off the port on the intake manifold. Coolant to the throttle body and ISC isnt 100% necessary is most conditions.

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
CyFi6;1508093 said:
If it was me i would just break off the throttle body coolant line, remove the unit from the exhaust side, repair the leak and the hole where the throttle body line went, install it and never look back. Of course, dont forget to plug off the port on the intake manifold. Coolant to the throttle body and ISC isnt 100% necessary is most conditions.
that's pretty much was i plan on doing but i'm just gonna replace it with a new one rather than fixing mine and have it leak again somewhere else. i only want to do this once that's for sure, but i want to do it right and then not look back =0)

-t3d

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
in that case, just cut the throttle body line off leaving a little bit sticking out, then you can cap it off and not have to deal with soldering or any of that

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
adampecush;1508085 said:
If i had access to my car, I'd go test right now...

I do know that the part number change reflects the fact that the early model pipes had a blocked-off port on the exhaust side for RHD vehicles. Mine does not, indicating that it is 89+

If my pipe was steel, it certainly would have showed signs of rusting shortly after install.

It's nickle plated Steel Adam..

zdatsupra

Feb 19, 2006
florida
the t3d;1508286 said:
yea i could do that but i would like to find some silicon block-off caps. the rubber ones seem leak too much.

-t3d

You can just cut that part completely off right at the throttle body pipe.

There is still plenty of firewall hose to make up the difference, then you dont have to worry about leaks...To make it easy to install the firewall hose, clamp the hose on to the pipe first while its off the car, then snake the hose and pipe through to finish installing at the firewall.
I did this recently, unfortunately the first pipe I got, sucked ass and was a bit rusty, just got a good condition pipe from someone on this site and am going to do it again.

I was going to have mine brazed, actually dropped it off while the welder was not there, had second thoughts on the way home, turned around picked up the pipe and decided to cut it..
Didnt have much confidence in the welder and since it was kind of rusty didnt want to waste the money...

It definitely is a crappy set up stock when you have to replace it,,after the rusy pipe leaked again its what pissed me off so I went out and got a sc400.. bittersweet as now Im getting rid of the Supra..

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
do you think it's possible to remake the pipe with actual rubber hose or maybe some silicon hoses and maybe some "T" and 90* fittings and just keep the necessary pipe pieces?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
jetjock;1508316 said:
Place just slays me at times...
at times ditto...

the t3d;1508451 said:
do you think it's possible to remake the pipe with actual rubber hose or maybe some silicon hoses and maybe some "T" and 90* fittings and just keep the necessary pipe pieces?
Rubber would cook in days under the exhaust manifold..

Just buy a new hardpipe they're not that expensive.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
3p141592654;1512970 said:
Mine isn't. Just checked, the two pipes on my 90 are non-magnetic. The brackets are magnetic. To me they look like SS.

So they're "STEEL" and NOT Aluminium?
(non rusty brackets made me think they're plated but might just be a low grade of stainless)