coolant being pushed out only under load

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
Im just running a standard one from supercheap .9 bar the alloy radiator originally came with a 1.1 bar one should I consider buying one of the his/blitz ect ect 1.3 bar jobbies running a new overflow line incase there are any small holes.

But there is always as I mentioned in the first place the coolant weaping from the hex plug in the spark plug valley if it leaks it can suck air in correct
73bc5402-2c6c-7701.jpg

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
well I go check out my cap I can tell by looking at it?

then failing that the point were it leaks in the spark plug valley any tips for that?

I got one of the impact hex drives in the correct size for it and had a crack at removing it a year ago and it just felt like I was about to strip it wouldn't budge.

should I try when the cars warm or cold? as im about to dump the coolant anyway for a flush and if I cant get the sucker out any tips for trying to make it seal without removing it?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Should have recovery stamped on it, failing that there should be a rubber ring where it meets the rad neck, I RTV'd my hex caps to seal them, if you have the correct Inhex socket and a breaker bar I doubt you'll strip it removing it.

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
well it is the right tool so ill have to have another crack at it then would it be easier to remove if the motor was slightly warm? or should use a blow torch to warm it slightly or with the power of thor be enough?

just checked it is a recovery type but the inner circle on the cap looks like it has a ring of coolant dried around it maybe the shitty $5 cap is already leaking too will post a pic now but only off Iphone sorry

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
IJ.;1858448 said:
Can you get a pic of the underside of the cap using the Macro setting on the camera so it's clear?

Tool should be fine.

Yea I'll have to do that tonight just left for work won't be home for 12 hours cheers for your help Ian

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
What was the reason for running a silvia radiator? Forgive me but isn't the radiator smaller then a mk3 supra radiator?

I'd figure the 240, even if it is the sr20 radiator would be quite a bit smaller than the mk3 turbo radiator.

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
Right was shattered after work will go get a pic soon.

Reason for the Silvia radiator is mk3 supras aren't very popular in NZ anything Nissan is avalible everywhere.

The bottom mounts on a sr20 s14 Silvia are the same as the mk3 it's a 52mm core alloy jobbies so it is bigger don't know about the difference between usdm and Jdm silvias though

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
well went for another drive today once again on the flat zero change to coolant level and normal coolant temps - normal driving not going for it

went up the hill slowly checked halfway coolant had risen a tiny bit went a little harder up to the top checked level had risen but not overflowed (had started the day with the overflow bottle on a lower level) once again temps fine

got home levels still the same as they were at the top of the hill im going to leave it cool down hopefully will see some has gone back

If the coolant returns to the rad when cold = systems all fine and I had the overflow bottle too full

coolant doesn't return = more than likely the hex plug leaking so I overflowed because of it previously filling a little and not returning till the point were it overflowed

still going to do a coolant flush anyway and have another crack at the hex plug will see how it goes have a dynoday this saturday hopfully will be healthy for it

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
Well coolant didn't return to the rad once it had cooled down so will try do the hex plug then also look in to an oem cap and new overflow hose after that

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Are you using a 14mm Allen socket? Use half in breaker bar push down hard and turn. Also if you can get it soak it in Kano kroil penetrating oil over night. Stuff works wonders. Supposed to get in spaces up to 1 millionth of an inch.

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
got the leak sorted on the hex plug took it for a drive hard coolant filled the bottle let it cool and it returned to normal! mint :)