Cool tip I found for short shift mod

toyMKIII

cars and guitars
Jun 20, 2012
Philadelphia
Just found a DIY short shift mod at http://supras.com/06/techcenter/display.php?QID=30 and thought I'd share it... If you do it and mess up I am not responsible.

I haven't done this (though I plan to), so I won't be useful for answering any questions- this is just something I found online and it seems quite straight forward to me.

--------------------
THE FOLLOWING IS ALL COPIED FROM THE ABOVE WEBSITE

Article:
Authored by: unknown

Article:
Modify the stock stick. No cost:

Result of mod: lower shift knob height. Shift throw is quicker.
*If you replace the seat-ring, it will be tighter too.
*To get the seat-ring, call Jeff Watson 1-800-327-2087,
*tell him you want the "green truck shifter gasket".
*You should ask for the "white bushing for the pivot".

Remove the black dash center cover around the stereo ect.
Remove 4 screws to remove the metal-covered rubber boot at the base of the stick.
Pull the rubber boot off.
There is a ring holding it onto the neck, pull hard, it comes off.
You don't have to remove the ring.

Remove the next wide rubber cover over the base.

Lift the small center rubber cap at the base of the stick.
Remove 4 screws at the base of the stick.
Remove the stick from the socket.

Now we'll break the stick apart.

Take two vise grips. Make them extra tight.
Place one at the lower silver metal shaft.
Place the other on the black stick.
Twist back n forth with strong force.
You have to break a strong rubber filling inbetween the two shafts.
It's a springy feel on most sticks.
On some cars, the rubber is very solid, a torch can melt it soft for the removal.

After you snap the rubber, remove the upper shaft. *Replace the white bushing on the bottom of the stick. *Replace the black ring in the shifter base with the green one. (* parts from Jeff Watson, see above.)

Reinstall the stick, plates, and all boots. You'll need shift knob similar to a MOMO which does not use threads, it uses 3 set screws. The rubber cap needs to be inside the knob. Just set the thread collor, the knob, tighten the set screws, screw on the collar and voila! Set the leather bag,it'll have alot of folds in it now.

The height is very similar to a MkIV. I love that! The throw feels similar, with a little more notch feel. The rubber core of the long stick had dampened the notches and vibration.

I hated that long gauky stick. This is so sweet! I'm glad it did not cost a $200-$300 short shift kit!

Oh, it looks like there's no going back to a long stick, the rubber is broken.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Oldschool SOGI mod.

It's not really a quick shifter. I've been in cars that have this mod, and didn't really like it that much. I might think differently if the shifter were threaded and could use the stock (or TRD) knob, since the most objectionable thing that I found was the I just didn't like the feel of the knobs that were used with this mod.

Some things are better available now, like the Marlin Crawler shifter bushings.

Anyway, this is old news...

toyMKIII

cars and guitars
Jun 20, 2012
Philadelphia
Yeah, there is definitely better options but for someone who'd rather spend the cash elsewhere this might not be all that bad. I do agree, the inability to use the stock knob is what might hold me back from doing it...

My bad if this info is old news

toyMKIII

cars and guitars
Jun 20, 2012
Philadelphia
As far as the new knob not being threaded? If that's not the case than wouldn't there be less noise, or chance for vibration, with a shorter shaft?

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
someone just told me that the shifter from a saturn sky will work on our cars. not sure if it's true, but he said he was 100%.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
IJ.;1949105 said:
Harmonic Buzz at cruise speeds will drive you bugshit...
yup, someone did this to my car :( I disapprove.

I do however have a NM shifter, need to get one of those OE dampener deals...

gsxr141;1949121 said:
someone just told me that the shifter from a saturn sky will work on our cars. not sure if it's true, but he said he was 100%.

I'll believe it when I see it :icon_neut

MadRPM

Nov 9, 2012
Tampa
BoostMonger;1949122 said:
it doesnt shorten your throw, just the height of the lever. if you really want one look into a C's or a Nashman

Exactly. Dont hold your breath for the Comrade C's because I called MVP Motorsports to buy one and they told me it was discontinued for a year and they dont have any in stock. NM and the Beech Performance piece are tangimble options so far.

toyMKIII

cars and guitars
Jun 20, 2012
Philadelphia
Glad you guys commented, if you hadn't I would have probably done this and been displeased..

I think I will do a new shifter at some point but as it stands, it's no rush due to funds. MadRPM, check bulletproof automotive, I haven't called their dealers but their site has C's- worth checking out at least.

Scooter7M

Apr 16, 2013
Hopkinsville, KY
What's this harmonic buzz you all speak of? I bought my car with the "short shift" mod already done courtesy of the previous owner so I don't know the original feels like. Maybe I'm just use to it.

toyMKIII

cars and guitars
Jun 20, 2012
Philadelphia
As It was explained to me: apparently when you snap the rubber, which is the dampener, to shorten your shaft you will notice some noise. This noise, or buzz, is due to the vibration of the stick caused by the movement of the vehicle.

Your car may have the noise, though it is probably what you expect it to sound like as you have no previous reference of the car's original sound. Either that, or the former owner didn't do the SOGI mod to obtain the short shift.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Scooter7M;1949204 said:
What's this harmonic buzz you all speak of? I bought my car with the "short shift" mod already done courtesy of the previous owner so I don't know the original feels like. Maybe I'm just use to it.
There is a resonant frequency usually at cruise speed that Hums/Buzzes through the shifter when you remove the damper, this will depend on how old the shifter bushes are and what sort of shifter knob you have on the car, it can be mild to downright annoying, HATED mine when I did it back in the 90's...