compound turbo set up

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Have you noticed that if you remove all off the sequential stuff its just parallel?

Its called sequential for a reason.

The valve is to direct the exhaust flow to the smaller turbo to make it spool even faster to get faster response. Then the valve opens and the larger turbo spools up and at around 4k its parallel cause both turbos are spinning and pushing air together.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
toytech;1716023 said:
If parrell why does it have an air by pass valve. Have you looked at a Toyota service manual for the operation of this setup. Or find out why there are not that many boost controllers that can correctly operate with this setup?

Sequential is VERY different to Compound.....

STOP arguing go and do a search then come back when you understand the differences... :nono:

toytech

Toyota certifed
Feb 10, 2009
Frankton,Indiana
I know the difference ij. Just seeing if any one has a clue and if they can give the Op sum knowledge about a compound setup instead of it's a waste of time or your better off going big single. To much disinformation it can be done it's just expensive, complicated or everybody would have one. And hvyman nailed the discription reed valve would have ended it quick.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
hvyman;1716027 said:
Have you noticed that if you remove all off the sequential stuff its just parallel?

Its called sequential for a reason.

The valve is to direct the exhaust flow to the smaller turbo to make it spool even faster to get faster response. Then the valve opens and the larger turbo spools up and at around 4k its parallel cause both turbos are spinning and pushing air together.

The 2j turbos are exactly the same size

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
toytech;1715871 said:
Yes over spin your ceramic rear wheel to get the desired boost pressure let me know how that works out.
Didn't have to work for long, I fixed it after realizing the actuator wasn't hooked up on the front turbo... still going on those turbos 15 months later. :)

sunnysupra;1716135 said:
guys can you sop arguing thats not what this is for. i just want information on how to make one work for a 7m
Call up Sethron71, with a pile of money in hand, and have him set you something up. He made it work, have you read his thread about the first and (to our knowledge anyway) only compound turbo 7m? It's a good read, quite impressive the results he got...

toytech

Toyota certifed
Feb 10, 2009
Frankton,Indiana
You took time to repair the issue and not blow them impressive. I have a coworker on his 3rd set on a 1j and he can't figure why. I'm guessing lack of boost gauge and sticking open arc blowoff. Missing fins every time. But what do I know.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
toytech;1716124 said:
I know the difference ij. Just seeing if any one has a clue and if they can give the Op sum knowledge about a compound setup instead of it's a waste of time or your better off going big single. To much disinformation it can be done it's just expensive, complicated or everybody would have one. And hvyman nailed the discription reed valve would have ended it quick.

toytech;1715780 said:
Stock 2j setup is a compound setup.

Well going by this you don't..... :nono:

Unless things have changed a HUGE amount I can't see any reason why you would run a true Compound Turbo system on a Spark Ignition engine there just isn't fual available that will make use of the High PR you can achieve, if you're not going for Mega Boost you'll get as good results with a Modern Turbo and a QS Valve.

StiCk3

Apr 25, 2009
->IN<-
toytech;1716221 said:
You took time to repair the issue and not blow them impressive. I have a coworker on his 3rd set on a 1j and he can't figure why. I'm guessing lack of boost gauge and sticking open arc blowoff. Missing fins every time. But what do I know.

LOL thanks chris for using me for an example....asshole. Just because you know everything doesn't mean you need to pick a fight with everyone.

toytech

Toyota certifed
Feb 10, 2009
Frankton,Indiana
On a 2.0L And more info than any one here cares to share sunnysupra -http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/custom-fabrication/336541-my-compound-turbo-set-up.html

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Fight? You mean conversation. Just go single. Rofl

StiCk3

Apr 25, 2009
->IN<-
toytech;1716348 said:
[/COLOR]Fight? You mean conversation. Just go single. Rofl

Maybe if you gave me some more hours at work i would've gone single a long time ago...;) Either that or just give me $1500. your pick

Manianac

Oct 9, 2010
Indy
Really? Begging for hours or money to fix that shit-mobile? Try doing it yourself without blowing it up again.

Sorry to OP that your question wasn't answered. Someone please close this thread.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
A compound turbo set up would be one blower pushing into the other blower. Also, this is where the term "intercooler" is incorrectly used in automotive for convinence of not calling it what it is, a charge air cooler. The intercooler went between the two turbos.

The 2JZGTE uses what Toyota calls a two way system. It isn't sequential or compound. Not in the traditional sense of sequential. That would be one small turbo, then shifting over to a bigger turbo when it comes on line. Toyota's uses all exhaust flow over one, then graduly bleeds a portion of the exhaust off to the second. At that point, it is running parallel. To run standard parallel, or twins, would reduce response. In other words, twins have more lag than a single. You have half the exhaust heat driving the turbine with parallel.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Sport Compact Car magazine had a write up on compount turbo's a few years ago, in the Technobabble column I believe. Interesting stuff.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Manianac;1716522 said:
Really? Begging for hours or money to fix that shit-mobile? Try doing it yourself without blowing it up again.

Sorry to OP that your question wasn't answered. Someone please close this thread.

I dont see a reason to close this thread, but the misinformation and ot about other peoples cars need to stop.

As already stated the ct is not a good option to do this with.

Op also hasnt said how much power he wants to make, or where in the power band he wants the power. OR how much money if he really wants to do this or just saw and pic and thought it would be neat to throw at it.

There is a lot into making one of these.

You can see sethrons compound setup here. Its quite impressive but not exactly cheap by any means.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...first-and-only&highlight=compound+turbo+setup

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Nick M;1716542 said:
A compound turbo set up would be one blower pushing into the other blower. Also, this is where the term "intercooler" is incorrectly used in automotive for convinence of not calling it what it is, a charge air cooler. The intercooler went between the two turbos.

The 2JZGTE uses what Toyota calls a two way system. It isn't sequential or compound. Not in the traditional sense of sequential. That would be one small turbo, then shifting over to a bigger turbo when it comes on line. Toyota's uses all exhaust flow over one, then graduly bleeds a portion of the exhaust off to the second. At that point, it is running parallel. To run standard parallel, or twins, would reduce response. In other words, twins have more lag than a single. You have half the exhaust heat driving the turbine with parallel.

In the old days we ran 2 smaller turbos to get better response as they had a lower PMoI than a single that would flow the same ;)

Modern BB turbos with tweaked compressors and turbines negate much of this.
----------------------

There are no "magic" combinations of stock/junkyard parts, people smarter than 95% of the combined membership here have been tweaking these cars for 20+ years if it was "easy" everyone would have done it, HP costs.

The Pipework alone would break the budget of most Mk3 owners.... :nono:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
IJ.;1716638 said:
In the old days we ran 2 smaller turbos to get better response as they had a lower PMoI than a single that would flow the same ;)

Two turbos respond slower than one. :) Highlighted is the key that others will skip over when you didn't mean it that way.