compound turbo set up

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
sunnysupra;1712627 said:
what would be a good single turbo to use with the stock ct turbo from supra to make a compound turbo set up

For the time and money it would take to fabricate a properly functioning setup, you'd probably want to go with some better turbo's than the factory ct-26.

MightyAl;1712632 said:
Is there a reason you want to run 40-60psi? This is the only real reason to assemble such a complicated system.

Uh, what?

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
MarkIII4Me;1712633 said:
For the time and money it would take to fabricate a properly functioning setup, you'd probably want to go with some better turbo's than the factory ct-26.

Uh, what?

Compound boost is best used in a diesel set up to achieve 30+ psi. Otherwise what other reason would there be to multiply your boost. It is essentially a waste and excessive in a spark ignition vehicle.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
On our cars I agree it is not worth the effort. But in addition to providing a huge increase in boost levels, doesn't a compound setup provide a wider powerband as well? That was always my impression.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
MightyAl;1712688 said:
Compound boost is best used in a diesel set up to achieve 30+ psi. Otherwise what other reason would there be to multiply your boost. It is essentially a waste and excessive in a spark ignition vehicle.

You are seriously confused.

Compound turbo setups are to take advantage of having a small turbo for quick spool and a large turbo to flow for the top end. Almost any turbo will make high boost.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
2 turbos doesnt = twice the amount of boost. If that was the case the 1jz would have 16psi stock.

Diesels run masiively huge turbos with massive engines and lots of compression. A lot different than a 3l.

Unless you want the cool factor waste of money imo. And the ct should junked at that point.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
MarkIII4Me;1712696 said:
On our cars I agree it is not worth the effort. But in addition to providing a huge increase in boost levels, doesn't a compound setup provide a wider powerband as well? That was always my impression.

It was done because GM thought a two stroke diesel was a good idea. Well, that isn't actually on their shoulders. It was Detroit Diesel. The blower was added because a two stroke needs revs to work, and a diesel burns oil and can't rev. Dumb idea. So the blower was added to fill the cylinders because it didn't otherwise happen. Then the giant Garrett was added to increase power over that.

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
NashMan;1712959 said:
turbo and super charger now there's a cool combo now go do it
There is a video floating around somewhere of a MKIII with a supercharger (can't recall which) and either a Holset HX-52 or HX-55 some guys in Germany did a few years ago. They were having all sorts of trouble going in a straight line from 4k rpm and up. I cannot seem to find this video from a while ago.

sunnysupra

May 10, 2011
Queens NY
i dont need someone telling me it a waste of time or money im just asking a question n my its a stock upgraded turbo n it was sent out to get ported and im just asking would would be a good combo with the ct or what turbos would be great for a compound setup and if anyone of you is selling a turbo pm me

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
A stock trim CT26 would work alright with getting a 67 or 70mm turbo up and going quickly, but turbo technology has come a LONG way since the ct26 was made. You might be satisfied with a newer style turbo... But the person you need to be talking to (far as I know, the only member on here who has any actual experience with compounded Supras) is Sethron71. He should be able to give you some insight.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Be better to use like a 3072 and a 40r then even bother with the stock ct.

Quick spool valve would be easier too.