Cometic Street Top End Gasket Kit

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
San Antonio, Texas, United States
I'm doing a rebuild on my car and stumbled across this set of gaskets. The brand is Cometic. I was thinking about buying a 2mm Cometic Headgasket and getting the top end gaskets from Toyota. I have a friend that works at Toyota so ill get the top end gaskets with the employee discount. I was just wondering if the Cometic is a better choice and worth the extra money. I'm not sure the thickness for the headgasket on the kit that they offer but i figured i could buy the kit and sell the headgasket individually it if i cant get it in a 2mm. Has anyone bought these before and how much better are they than Toyota's gaskets? Are these worth the investment?

Here is where i found it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...772103&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1910wt_939

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
I say go with toyota or if you don't want to spend the money I say toyota or metal h/g and than get cheap gaskets for everything esle.It's not a great idea but it's better than havent to keep replacing the h/g again.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I know a lot of people that have used the Cometic with good success. It is suppose to be as good as HKS but without the high price. I ended up going with the HKS on my wife's car though and have never used the Cometic personally.

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
I'm going with a metal headgasket as a replacement no matter what Whether its Cometic, HKS, or Greddy. My real question is concerning the rest of the top end gaskets that come with the kit. Is it worth the investment to get them from Cometic? Are they any different (better, worse, or doesn't really matter) from Toyota's kit?

MX73MKIII

Oct 6, 2009
Queens, New York
Cometic head gaskets is a great product. We used them a lot for building high compression and boosted VQs. We used them on VQ35DE (350Z/G35s etc), VQ30DE-K (Maxima), and VQ30DE-T(Gloria). They hold very well and we haven't had any issues with them.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
DO NOT GO OUT AND BUY YOUR GASKETS ON EBAY!!! :nono:
Spend the extra money and get quality Toyota.

I swear just because there on Egay and it says "race" or "racing" some where people think there awesome.

I can shit in a bag, write "HIGH TEMP RACING SEALANT" and I bet you would by it.

MX73MKIII

Oct 6, 2009
Queens, New York
92nsx;1505369 said:
DO NOT GO OUT AND BUY YOUR GASKETS ON EBAY!!! :nono:
Spend the extra money and get quality Toyota.

I swear just because there on Egay and it says "race" or "racing" some where people think there awesome.

I can shit in a bag, write "HIGH TEMP RACING SEALANT" and I bet you would by it.

Agree, your right EBAY is not the place to buy certain key items when your putting your engine together. Check out this site. I usually buy from them.....

http://www.directtuning.com/store/s...96&cmbYear=-1&cmbTrim=-1&cmbMfg=-1&OrderBy2=0

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
MX73MKIII;1505371 said:
Agree, your right EBAY is not the place to buy certain key items when your putting your engine together. Check out this site. I usually buy from them.....

http://www.directtuning.com/store/s...96&cmbYear=-1&cmbTrim=-1&cmbMfg=-1&OrderBy2=0

Does it really matter where i get it from since its a store on ebay? It has the part number of the Cometic Kit. I'm not going to use the the headgasket that comes with the kit since i need a 2mm and the one that comes with the kit has the stock thickness.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
i agree with using toyota gaskets. you cant beat the quality. driftmotion sells a gasket kit for 100 bux if you want cheaper gaskets.

MX73MKIII

Oct 6, 2009
Queens, New York
1988ma70supra;1505881 said:
Does it really matter where i get it from since its a store on ebay? It has the part number of the Cometic Kit. I'm not going to use the the headgasket that comes with the kit since i need a 2mm and the one that comes with the kit has the stock thickness.

Sometimes.........but don't want you to have a hassle. Well like you said you was gonna sell the head gasket anyways. It just really comes down to what you prefer. OEM Toyota or aftermarket.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Victor has been around for a long time, but I have never used any of their sets.
I use FelPro, with a metal head gasket (HKS,GReddy, FET, what ever I can get my hands on).

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
When I do my turbo rebuild this spring/summer I'll be using a nicer gasket set, but when I did my NA 2 years ago I used cheap EBAY gaskets. Brand was Evergreen. None of them leak 2 years later.

If I were rebuilding an NA for myself again I wouldn't hesitate to use cheap ebay gaskets. :)

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
hvyman;1505892 said:
i agree with using toyota gaskets. you cant beat the quality. driftmotion sells a gasket kit for 100 bux if you want cheaper gaskets.

the kit dm sells is just a overpriced ebay gasket set. lol.

i have used them and they work fine. i just don't use the egr, exhaust mani, valve seal, lower timing plate, and thats about it. all the seals and other gaskets have worked fine for me. i find it funny how tons of people dog on shit that they have nfi about. :nono:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-9...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories