Clutch height and freeplay adjustment

80083r

Ok, I've searched around, and finally found how to fix the 1.5" (or more) of freeplay in the clutch pedal to a much more pleasing 1/4" - the question now is, does it make sense to adjust the height and freeplay again to put the engagement of the clutch (by which I mean when the car starts moving forward) a little closer to the floor. Right now it's smack dab in the middle of factory spec height.

I'm going to need a new clutch - either next spring or the following one, but I'd like to put it off for as long as I can for financial reasons. There are just so many things I want/need to fix.

Right now I start getting power from the engine in the last ~2" of pedal movement. There doesn't *seem* to be any slipping at any point - the wheels tend to hop a little if I goose it going up a hill, but it just feels really high off the floor before I have full engagement.

I'm ok with where the clutch engages now (it's not perfect) but when (occasionally) my wife drives the car, she slips the clutch something awful.

TL;DR can I move the height of my clutch pedal an inch or two closer to the floor to make it easier to use? Car is completely stock as far as I know.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya you read right. I always put then at an inch. Guess its more of a general guess thing for all cars.

Clutch should start engaging down before half way and should be fully engaged before you get to the freeplay. Outside of that there is no adjustment.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I always adjusted the height on mine so it engaged just off the floor then set the brake pedal to match, doing this the floor acts as a pedal stop so you don't overtravel the clutch and miss shifts

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
As a clutch gets worn, engadgement will change spots. Most people don't pay attention enough to freeplay either, if it's not enough, you can preload the clutch and cause slippage. No real issue with too much freeplay as long as the clutch fully disengadges.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
How much freeplay do you have?

The adjustment is on the arm that attaches the pedal to the master.

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
Oh ok yeah I figure it out already, by free play you mean how long does it take for the clutch to engaged? Well if that what it means, it's pretty damn high, almost to the top. I was reading posts and i have a problem with my 2nd gear going in hard when I downshift and that might be the problem with the pedal adjust

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Freeplay is how far you have to push before you're actually putting pressure on the clutch system. Basicly, you feel for when it gets harder to push and measure there. It's not adjusted by engadgment point of the clutch.