cheapest way to build a 11 second still street legal car. or semi street legal

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
Me and a few buddies was just talking around and the topic for the most cost effective way to build a low 11 second car that you can drive to the track, change tires and run a pass.

Most of them said foxbodies are the cheapest and best way.
some even said civics, gutt them out, do a swap from a junkyard and some tires and spray.
It was alot of cars and ideas being thrown around. (nobody said supra tho lolz)

So lets say on a 3000 or 4000 budget, how would you go about building a low 11 second car? Is it possible?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
In the USA, (and likely Canada & Mexico, too) the easiest route would be the Mustang by a significant margin. The aftermarket support for the car is unbelievable, it's almost like it was designed for the 1/4 mile! ;)

The only other thing I'd be willing to consider is an old Volkswagen Bug. Parts are a bit tougher to come by, but they modify even easier, and all their weight is over the rear wheels, making traction even easier to come by than the Mustang.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
LilMissMkIII;1129860 said:
Soarer + T78 + 272s = 11 second pass
He said cheap, lol

What about this.
Old school CRX, b18 or 22 swap, add ebay turbo, NOS, and drag slicks (to the front, lol).

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
teamslow;1129876 said:
There are 3 things people want when building a car.
-Fast
-Cheap
-Reliable
The problem is you can only pick two.

I hate that saying. Putting all the money in the world isn't going to help your car be fast or reliable in the same way that doing things on a tight budget is not a sure fire way to end up with a slow or Unreliable POS.

There was an American Car Cruise around my town tonight – Seeing (and hearing) those sort of monsters for the first time has got me thinking about a similar "drag car on a budget" project, although being in England, there isn't too much american muscle about, at least not cheaply. I like the idea of a VW Bug, but what would you use for an engine? I can't iminage anything being big enough to power one into the 11s being affordable on a $4000 budget?

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
jmanbball;1129911 said:
Dodge Omni + Turbo II motor

what he said. remember a long time ago one of the rags running a story about a four door omni, 2.5 turboed lebaron motor, and some various srt4 parts...his bill came in at like 2500 total, high 11's

Last edited:

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
DonS1mpson;1129906 said:
I hate that saying. Putting all the money in the world isn't going to help your car be fast or reliable in the same way that doing things on a tight budget is not a sure fire way to end up with a slow or Unreliable POS.

There was an American Car Cruise around my town tonight – Seeing (and hearing) those sort of monsters for the first time has got me thinking about a similar "drag car on a budget" project, although being in England, there isn't too much american muscle about, at least not cheaply. I like the idea of a VW Bug, but what would you use for an engine? I can't iminage anything being big enough to power one into the 11s being affordable on a $4000 budget?
Porsche engines fit, from what I understand, and they probably aren't ridiculously expensive over the pond... There are a few guys over here that run 10-11s passes in old bugs, but I haven't spent a lot of time talking to them about how much they have invested!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Old bugs weigh nothing, have the weight where it's needed, and are so stupidly simple there is little to go wrong.

Not to mention the tons of performance parts, parts that interchange, and the age so in most places it's just a safety inspection without smog.

Oh, forgot the crazy gas milage they can get too...

The only downsides are lack of creature comfort and difficulty in finding one that isn't rusted to hell.

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
non rusty bugs aren't hard to find at all...there was a dude in amarillo had about 30 or so sitting around, along with a butt load of buses, eurovans, westys,

and 2.0 2.3 ford swap isn't hard, but idk how much power you need to get a bug into 11's