Cheapest "track" platform to start with.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
What about a third gen Camaro? I've seen Z28s go for $3k and parts are cheap and everywhere. My brother had a modded Camaro when I was a kid and it had my mom's Grand National beat all to hell.

edit: I meant 4th gen, not 3rd

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
3rd gens arent bad either. Just need good tires. There very manuverable and the v6 cars weigh just over 3000lbs and easy to find in 5sp. Not nearly as good as a lightweight like the miata IMO. The e30s seem to be very popular and i6 power ftw. A 924/44 like mine would be amazing too, torquey, 50/50 distribution, huge brakes, 2200lbs. But not cheap. Well i got mine for 2500 but its an auto. The manuals are prone to ring/pinion breakage

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
after reading the latest issue of one of the import magazines... the FWD time attack calss was a lot slower than the awd and rwd class. it all comes down to money i guess... FWD is probably the best bang for the buck, but if your looking for all out speed RWD might be cheaper in the long run.

and he said "cheap"... not "cheapest"... if he wanted to be the ultimate cheap ass h22 swap a crx and go have fun!

latest issue of dsport...

the street class for the redline time attack at buttonwillow
STI - 1:57.241
Lotus Elise - 2:01.178
Mazdaspeed3 - 2:06.412

the UNLIMITED FWD class was won by a honda...he only went 1:58.328
the RWD unlimited was won by an s2000 that went 1:48.829
the AWD unlimited was won by an impreza that went 1:49.867

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Rennat;1035038 said:
and he said "cheap"... not "cheapest"... if he wanted to be the ultimate cheap ass h22 swap a crx and go have fun!

Title Name: Cheapest "track" platform to start with.

Haha :D

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Helped put an LS1 in a FC, whole thing cost $4,500.

I'd much rather that than a miata. and FWD is cheap and can be quick, but RWD has many more uses.

88YotaTurbo

Feb 26, 2006
Wolcott, Ct.
tracking any car is not cheap but I would suggest a few depending on what drive you prefer.
FWD- Honda CRX
RWD- Miata / MR2 / Fiero
AWD- 98 Impreza RS

Sil

Evil Empire
Jan 13, 2008
Milwaukee/Chicago
MassSupra89;1035143 said:
Helped put an LS1 in a FC, whole thing cost $4,500.

I'd much rather that than a miata. and FWD is cheap and can be quick, but RWD has many more uses.
Can be done for even cheaper, V8 doesn't necessarily mean it has to be a lsx. But the lsx route seems to be one of the more popular options.

CryoSlash;1035186 said:
You clearly do not understand track racing whatsoever.
Yes, because with practically the same weight distribution, but a much more usable power band with the reliability and simplicity of an SB is something that is definitely not beneficial to any sort of track racing.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
With that simple analysis, i would just say do the same thing to a miata. Why not? Same shit isn't it?
Take into account other things when you build a car... not just cost to make the car, and it's power to weight.

Sil

Evil Empire
Jan 13, 2008
Milwaukee/Chicago
CryoSlash;1035346 said:
With that simple analysis, i would just say do the same thing to a miata. Why not? Same shit isn't it?
Take into account other things when you build a car... not just cost to make the car, and it's power to weight.
Enlighten me as to what you believe to be a great cheap track vehicle.

The FC is a good solid chassis with a solid after market, paired with a SB swap which adds in a reliability and simplicity factor, with few, if any drawbacks. I don't know about you, but improving the functionality and reliability of an already potent track vehicle are things that would be at the top of my list for building a track car, a V8 swap does just that. To each his own I guess, what I'm suggesting isn't some crazy idea I though up, many people have performed this conversion for the very reason of having a good solid, reliable track vehicle. Keep in mind this is my idea of what makes a good track vehicle, I am no way suggesting this is the be all end all best solution for a cheap track vehicle, which it almost seems as if you think I am indeed saying it is.

So lets hear it, your idea for a cheap track vehicle.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
I'm not 100% sure what the cost of parts really is... but there's literally a TON of ancient RX-7's that litter junk yards in alberta.

Buy a cheap chassis, even one that doesn't run. Aftermarket support makes new engine housings. Engines have three moving parts and a carb... couple of spark plugs, and an exhaust pipe. Nothing to really go wrong.

Strip it, because you can lift the engine out yourself and use it as a paperweight anyway. Who needs an interior... chances are it was shit to begin with.

Some research on engine parts would tell the true story of how much an FB-RX7 would cost to track.

The Challenge car cup around calgary runs mostly FB's... most are beat to hell and take rediculous amounts of abuse.

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Most any Honda makes a great platform and lightweight leads to less cost (easier on brakes, suspension, tires) Miatas and E30's have gotten very popular and have big series with good competition. I for one like the V8-FC and have also seen a 5.0 in a E30 on track. Anything's fun out there but some more than others (RWD is much more fun to me but I'll love to blast around in AWD) Might want to think about whether or not you'd want to race or just drive. Camaros/Mustangs have many classes as well as do 944's (N/A and T)
Se-R is another excellent platform thats not to costly.
Remember all of this stuff can be relatively expensive, track time, parts, fuel but once you get bit by the bug you'll understand ;)

boostinsupragirl

Dec 16, 2006
connecticut
www.myspace.com
as the owner of one i would pick a 5.0 fox body mustang i have only spent about 5 grand and i make some really good hp and with slicks it will go tens :biglaugh: it is also one of the most cars cars i have driven and cheapest to fix. way cheaper than my supra