Cheapest "track" platform to start with.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
boostinsupragirl;1037829 said:
as the owner of one i would pick a 5.0 fox body mustang i have only spent about 5 grand and i make some really good hp and with slicks it will go tens :biglaugh: it is also one of the most cars cars i have driven and cheapest to fix. way cheaper than my supra

Yeah I hear they're easy to make fast in a quarter mile, but I was taking suggestions for a road racing/autox platform.

By the way everyone, thanks for suggestions.

shaggyskadude13

AAARRRGGGHH!!!!!
May 16, 2007
Rockledge, Florida
I personally would go with a s13 coupe 240 sx, and then put a Ka-T setup on it. They make good power for the weight of the vehicle, and aftermarket parts are getting cheaper and cheaper because everyone has one now. If I had the money I'd be building one right now.

boostinsupragirl

Dec 16, 2006
connecticut
www.myspace.com
Ma70.Ent;1037926 said:
Yeah I hear they're easy to make fast in a quarter mile, but I was taking suggestions for a road racing/autox platform.

oh in that case a 1st gen rx7 79-85 i used that car for road race and my others were for drag, i had 5 of them they are really fun, i still have some racing parts if your interested

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
ive seen 944s go for pretty cheap, i dont how reliable they are though.

sometimes i see miatas for pretty cheap as well. been thinking about getting one myself for some auot-x. or a bmw.

but hell ive seen 240s from $800 to several thousand.

JtWo

Sniper
Apr 10, 2005
Bay Area
after autoxing, I've NEVER been able to make fun of a honda.

the EF civic hatches are actually lighter than a crx, I used to own one, but that was before I was into cornering.

Miata is probably the best bang per buck before you get into serious modifications. Springs and AGX's with tires alone will do pretty damn well.

The ae86 is cheap, but since the age, getting it track worthy just by fixing all the old problems isn't worth it. I've made this mistake.

AW11 mr2's are pretty good.

SW20 NA MR2's are what i consider the most versatile and competitive in the 90's technology. excluding civics -_-

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Ma70.Ent;1037926 said:

Just because it is a popular drag car, doesn't mean that the fox body Mustang is incapable on the track. A friend of mine runs Solo 2 in a Fox body and he wins his class...EVERY YEAR. He and his brother are each entered into the event and both run the same car. That thing is RELIABLE and very fast. If you take the time to research, it doesn't cost much to make them handle.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
+1 to the Foxbody. I know Mustangs get no respect in the import world but they are actually quite capable cars and are very easy to work on. Their suspension failings are well known and easily remedied, making them reasonably nimble.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
JtWo;1038286 said:
The ae86 is cheap, but since the age, getting it track worthy just by fixing all the old problems isn't worth it. I've made this mistake.

aww darn. i was afraid of that...i found this sr5 1986 for 500 dollars I was thinking about just making it street worthy and possibly track worthy someday but I think after reading this thread i'd be much better off to save up for a nice miata. with the right rims and body accents they don't look to girly either :naughty: